Defense Grid

Sharky Forums

Thread: Defense Grid

Defense Grid

For some reason I lost some interest in Minecraft and started hitting up some stuff in my backlog. Defense Grid seemed like something I could pick up and play in short bursts (between homework assignments and such), and I had heard some great things about it, so I loaded it up.

Game was pretty great overall. I liked the overall feel of it (having not played much tower defense style games before, admittedly), so I was just making towers and killing aliens.

Then came "Focal Point."

That level was CRUSHING me. There was one level, two levels before it I think, where I actually had to restart because I failed, but other than that, I beat everything in one try. Focal Point, however, whipped me 4 or 5 times in a row. I ended up going online for some strategy, which ended up being the basic strategy I had come up with but extended to the umpteenth degree (which I think I still would have figured out if I had remembered to look up a map online to plot on), but the main thing I came away with was this - (strategy spoiler that could change the entire way you play) -
    Spoiler

In conclusion, really, really awesome game. If anybody doesn't have it yet, it's practically guaranteed to be in the Steam Holiday Sales for super cheap. When it comes up, BUY IT.
    Last edited by monroeski; 11-10-2010 at 04:53 PM.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

Yup... it's a great little game... Thanks for the review... on the Android phone side, there's a game similar to it called Robo Defense for those interested.

Defense Grid is great! There's also a really good tower defense game on the Nintendo DS called Ninjatown that I highly recommend.

When you get into only beating the game without losing any cores, not using the laser, getting god medal, and going for the absolute highest possible score, you will then learn that while Gun Towers are totally awesome, you will need to use other towers as well.

It's a great game.

I think most players go through first using all the towers, then realizing how good gun towers are, then learning how to mix all the towers properly into their play to max their score out.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    I beat all the levels and they get pretty damn tough toward the end especially when you have to start juggling major flying spawns and ground guys. The later levels do not give you such a well defined path either so you have to make huge diversions with towers. I know I used gun towers until the end but also cannons are incredible when fighting the bigger guys and they hit flying dudes as well. The flame towers are great in choke points with a slow tower.

Yeah, just be sure to get very familiar with all the towers because you will need them all during the last stages.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    I beat all the levels and they get pretty damn tough toward the end especially when you have to start juggling major flying spawns and ground guys. The later levels do not give you such a well defined path either so you have to make huge diversions with towers. I know I used gun towers until the end but also cannons are incredible when fighting the bigger guys and they hit flying dudes as well. The flame towers are great in choke points with a slow tower.

Yeah, just be sure to get very familiar with all the towers because you will need them all during the last stages.
    That's when I first started to realize how good gun towers are, primarily because I started throwing down a billion of them in order to control the alien's route. They're so cheap you can really start a massive redirection very early in the levels. Then after I started doing that, I realized that the aliens were only making it about half as far as they were when I was mixing in other types of towers.

Haven't played in a while, though. I can't wait for the flying mobs to actually start posing a challenge; as it is now, I basically completely ignore them until they show up in the queue, then I throw up two missile towers and forget about all flying mobs for the rest of the level.
    Last edited by monroeski; 11-17-2010 at 11:49 AM.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker