Reccommendations for an oscilloscope

Sharky Forums

Thread: Reccommendations for an oscilloscope

Hammerhead Shark Geoffreyeolson's Avatar

Reccommendations for an oscilloscope

What would you guys recommend for one and what should I look for in specs? I'm going to primarily use it for automotive use to monitor sensors, noise in circuits, data-logging on older vehicles and monitor module to module network communication. The fastest stuff we got going on in the auto world is the HS-CAN network which transfers data at 500kB/s.

I would like to have more than 2 channels but I can live with just two.
    Don't do it again. - Wurm

Crawfordsville Indiana
    Are you wanting to buy one new or used? Either way I'd tell you to stick with HP/Agilent (it's just Agilent now) or Tektronix. I had a used HP/Agilent 546001B 4 channel, 100MHz scope a few years ago. It served it's purpose and I paid a few hundred bucks for it.

I'd say go for four channels, probably 350MHz, and don't get one that runs Windows. I'd also definitely avoid the handheld units.
    Q6600 @ 3.6GHz (Tuniq Tower 120) - DFI Lanparty LT P35-T2R - 8GB Corsair DDR2-800 - eVGA GTX 275 SC - SoundBlaster X-Fi - Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB - Seagate 7200.10 750GB (2) - Western Digital 1.5TB Green (2) - Western Digital 2TB Green - WINDy-Soldam MT-Pro 1700 - Antec Signature 850W- HP LP2475W (H-IPS) - Samsung 204B (TN) - Alienware Ozma 7 Headphones - Windows 7 Ultimate