Grandma hit the power switch, what do I need to replace?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Grandma hit the power switch, what do I need to replace?

Grandma hit the power switch, what do I need to replace?

So my mother-in-law was in town and was using our computer late at night when we were all asleep. She knocked something over near the computer and could get the mouse to work. Probably she just knocked the wireless receiver on the ground and didn't pick it up, but here is where the trouble started.

She didn't want to wake us up, so she started fiddling with all the cords coming out of the back of the computer. She hit the on-off switch on the PSU. She may have only hit it halfway, she may have hit it multiple times on and off. She heard a pop (maybe speakers, maybe PSU) and smelled something bad (maybe burning, maybe ozone, maybe imaginary).

Now the computer won't turn on. Replaced the PSU and cords, tried the mb power switch instead of the one on the case, still nothing. A few LEDs will light on the mb, but the PSU fans never turn on and I can't power up the computer at all.

What is likely to be fried and in need of replacement? mb? CPU? RAM? Don't want to invest a bunch and not need it, but also don't want it to take a month of guessing and ordering to build a new working system.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Sounds like from the description and smell it was definitely the PSU .....

It also sounds like it took out the motherboard ....

Dont worry about the cpu and ram, they're usually ok ...
    Compaq A910em: T2330 dual core 1.6Ghz, X3100 384MB GPU, 160GB sata HDD, 2GB RAM
    Gaming rig: Asus Striker II, Coolermaster GX 750w, E4600 @ 2.4Ghz, 2.5GB RAM, Zerotherm FZ 120, 9500GT 1GB
    Server: Mac mini running W23k Server - 1.8Ghz dual-core, 1GB RAM, 1x80GB, 2x500GB externals + LTO1 tape backup

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders