SSD or NO SSD.. That is the question - Page 3

Sharky Forums

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SSD or NO SSD.. That is the question

Tiger Shark
    This "Write Endurance" is the term for these NAND flash chips in SSD?? I wasn't sure if if was read, write or both.

(Sorry for the newbie questions)
    Keep free, over the air television alive. Wireless services occupy enough spectrum already, they don't need any more. Free, OTA TV is what makes this country unique.

I've been toying with a new SSD as my current 60GB SSD (bought a couple of years back) has always been irritatingly small but probably going to stick with it as a larger one isn't going to be enough to fit my data on anyway and it forces me to keep data off the OS drive which makes reinstalling a lot quicker.

John

Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, Noctua NH D15 Cromax, Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR 3200Mhz, Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB, 4TB SSD/26TB HDD. Fractal Design R6, Corsair RM850X
    Rocinante - Intel i7 8750H, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, 2.2TB SSD, Alienware M15 R1

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
    This "Write Endurance" is the term for these NAND flash chips in SSD?? I wasn't sure if if was read, write or both.

(Sorry for the newbie questions)
    Correct. Write Endurance = number of write/erase cycles the NAND is good for.

45nm MLC NAND = 10000 w/e cycles per cell
    32nm MLC NAND = 5000 w/e cycles per cell
    2xnm MLC NAND = 3000 w/e cycles per cell

Seems like a drastic reduction, but even with the modern SSD's using 22nm flash (or 25nm), they are rated (due to spare area, wear leveling, etc.) for well over 5 years of normal use as mentioned by kent1146.

If you don't want to feel like a newbie anymore check out Anandtech's SSD anthology. It explains all of the basics in a way that is very easy to understand.
    Last edited by James; 05-06-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64