Computer turns on, no picture, no beeps, fried motherboard?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Computer turns on, no picture, no beeps, fried motherboard?

Catfish

Computer turns on, no picture, no beeps, fried motherboard?

So I have an ASUS M2N-E motherboard with a AMD X2 64 6000+ and I just replaced the RAM with kingstom 4gb's, two sticks so it's not a RAM problem. I tried a different video card and still no picture.

The problem in full detail is, when i turn it on it does not beep but all fans spin, with the sound of a hard drive spinning maybe too. It never shows a picture of course, I even tried a different powersupply and no avail. I also tried taking the ram out and leaving it out and turning it on, no beeping. I also plugged the ram into the other coloured slots OTHER than the yellow slots, still nothing. The ASUS mobo shows a green light when the power plug is plugged in. Could this be a fried CPU? I have used more than one PSU in this computer cus I was testing them as my new PC Power and Cooling PSU was having problems, just never turned on. Thanks in advance for any helpful tips.

Was it running ok before you changed the ram?
    Did you put the old ram sticks back in?
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Was it running ok before you changed the ram?
    Did you put the old ram sticks back in?
    No it was not running at all before I put the newer RAM sticks back in, when I had two different kinds of ram, and these were tested and used in the same computer and was working fully before.

Troubleshooting problems can be time consuming....so far the only thing you have tried is changing out a PS and switching the ram....it can be difficult especially if you don't have an inventory of spare parts or another working rig to test each component...

What kind of problems were you having prior to system becoming unresponsive, like when was the last time it was running at all and was it degrading in performance prior to going bellyup....and I have some concerns regarding the new PS that did not fire up (PC power and cooling unit)....I had problems with a PC power and cooling PS years ago and never have used one since....

ESD may have fubared the board, the bios could be bad....have you checked the heatsink on the CPU, is it getting warm at all when you have been testing....

A little more background detail would be helpful....

Laterzzzzz.
    Last edited by bldegle2; 07-01-2011 at 07:44 AM.
    I am gettin too old for all this st.ff!

Specs? it runs.................

Tbird quotes:

"I dont care that much for gaming"
    "I am done with 3dmark."

AsRock 970 Extreme4,Vishera 8320 @4.6, Vertex 4 256GB SataIII SSD, 2xVelociraptor 600GB 10,000 spinner in raid 0 storage....16g Gskill DDR3 2133 @2292, ATI 6850, back on huge air (quiet)....HP Laptop redone OS (ie, no HP krud), AMD Phenom II N620, 8gig DDR3 1333 ram, Sanddisk SataII 120GB SSD, Toshiba 500GB 7200 spinner...

Use the CMOS clear jumper to clear the CMOS, or pull the battery if you don't have one. Make sure to pull the power plug from the PSU, as you must ensure a clear of the CMOS.

If that doesn't work, then disconnect everything but the absolute minimum for the system to boot and try again.

If you still don't get beeps, then it is likely that the mobo is bad. Failure to beep would indicate that the board isn't even powering up enough to identify required hardware and do a POST.
    Prince of the OC Crusaders

Intel i7 3.2GHz @ 4.24GHz
    Cooler Master V8
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3-1600 (quad channel)
    HIS R9 290X @1050MHz
    Asus 20x DVD-RW DL DVD-RW

Catfish
    Quote Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
    Troubleshooting problems can be time consuming....so far the only thing you have tried is changing out a PS and switching the ram....it can be difficult especially if you don't have an inventory of spare parts or another working rig to test each component...

What kind of problems were you having prior to system becoming unresponsive, like when was the last time it was running at all and was it degrading in performance prior to going bellyup....and I have some concerns regarding the new PS that did not fire up (PC power and cooling unit)....I had problems with a PC power and cooling PS years ago and never have used one since....

ESD may have fubared the board, the bios could be bad....have you checked the heatsink on the CPU, is it getting warm at all when you have been testing....

A little more background detail would be helpful....

Laterzzzzz.
    Well I think it is a good possibility that the PC Power and Cooling that was defective, wasn't working and may have done the damage that you explained as the computer was not booting after I did my testing. I wasn't sure if it was just the PSU zapping the RAM or something, cus I've had cases where a computer has spinning fans when booting and no picture, all because the ram is faulty, but RAM is crossed off the list now, it has to be either the mobo or the CPU. How do I test the heatsink if it's getting warm? it's a huge cooler master one, and I will need special a special screw driver to take it off as it's stuck on there, almost stripped the screws awhile ago trying to take it off because it's so damn tight, i didnt make it that tight either, it has springs on the screws.
    Quote Originally Posted by Un4given View Post
    Use the CMOS clear jumper to clear the CMOS, or pull the battery if you don't have one. Make sure to pull the power plug from the PSU, as you must ensure a clear of the CMOS.

If that doesn't work, then disconnect everything but the absolute minimum for the system to boot and try again.

If you still don't get beeps, then it is likely that the mobo is bad. Failure to beep would indicate that the board isn't even powering up enough to identify required hardware and do a POST.
    I pretty much tried a different GPU, and nothing else as for PCI cards was connected, and the mobo does not have an integrated video card so i cant use that. What I will try though is using the video card out of this machine in another to see if they truely work, that's just a small test though, we'll see though. Even if the motherboard has a green light saying it's "good" it could still be defective right?. Another thing to mention is the speaker that is plugged into where the front panel connectors was not connected correctly, so i turned it around. My friend the idiot pieced this computer together *quickly* so my step dad could buy it off of him. But remember it all worked up until i started testing that damn new PSU. I am sending that PSU out today to be fixed by PC Power and Cooling. I dont know if i want to test it again, should I just get a different one?, i have an account on ebay to sell stuff, i do it all the time, and if so which one should i get instead?.

Thanks

"How do I test the heatsink if it's getting warm?"

place your finger on the heatsink with the rig turned on, if it is getting warm you should be able to tell, since you had problems with the removal previously, maybe there is a problem with the attachment presently....it only takes a split second for a CPU to fry if the heatsink is not making good contact....

do you have another rig to test components in? you need to detail a little more specifically what you did to test the rig, we can only conjecture based on our own collective experience....

just exactly what happened? did the rig stop running when the PC power and cooling PS was installed, or was there other problems that caused concern to begin with? a more detailed explaination would be very helpful, you really haven't detailed everything that well...

laterzzzz...........
    Last edited by bldegle2; 07-01-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Tbird quotes:

"I am done with 3dmark."

AsRock 970 Extreme4,Vishera 8320 @4.6, Vertex 4 256GB SataIII SSD, 2xVelociraptor 600GB 10,000 spinner in raid 0 storage....16g Gskill DDR3 2133 @2292, ATI 6850, back on huge air (quiet)....HP Laptop redone OS (ie, no HP krud), AMD Phenom II N620, 8gig DDR3 1333 ram, Sanddisk SataII 120GB SSD, Toshiba 500GB 7200 spinner...

Catfish
    "How do I test the heatsink if it's getting warm?"

place your finger on the heatsink with the rig turned on, if it is getting warm you should be able to tell, since you had problems with the removal previously, maybe there is a problem with the attachment presently....it only takes a split second for a CPU to fry if the heatsink is not making good contact....

do you have another rig to test components in? you need to detail a little more specifically what you did to test the rig, we can only conjecture based on our own collective experience....

just exactly what happened? did the rig stop running when the PC power and cooling PS was installed, or was there other problems that caused concern to begin with? a more detailed explaination would be very helpful, you really haven't detailed everything that well...

laterzzzz...........
    So I did some testing, the video card in this machine is working perfectly in another machine, so it's good. I also turned the non-working computer on and felt the heatsink and it was not getting warm at all, it's a cooler master hyper n520. It is making pretty good contact with the cpu, but you may be right, but all i know is that the screws would not come loose at all, almost stripping a couple screws i gave up on it. I only wanted to reseat the CPU heatsink at that time, but i instead left it and it was still running up until I tried using different power supplies in the machine. The heasink is huge, so i dont know if it's just being cold at the very top because it's so huge anyways it can still remain cold and not get warm after about 20 seconds, thats about how long i waited, or about 30 seconds actually.

I plan to get a stripped screw extractor to remove the scews so i can use the heatsink in a newer machine but in the same case. But i still want to fix this problem first because it will be a secondary machine to be used alternatively by others in the house. What do you guys think?. I have a feeling it's the CPU as the mobo green light still turns on. But yes, the machine stopped working while i was testing power supplies, and in one machine the PC Power and cooling did not even have fans spinning, and in this computer it did but no picture, but i only remember it actually working, the computer, before i did any PSU testing.

On a side note, or question, is it worth buying a power supply tester for these purposes instead of using other computers?. Or do you get a better result from using an actual computer?.

"It is making pretty good contact with the cpu, but you may be right, but all i know is that the screws would not come loose at all, almost stripping a couple screws i gave up on it."

this is not good, so you never were able to remove the heatsink, by stripping I have to assume you mean the screw head area (the phillips grooves), again your description is sketchy at best...

it shouldn't be that hard to remove, check and reinstall, I have never had a cpu cooler problem you have described, I have been tinkering with CPU cooling in all forms (except for the very extreme, IE, LN2 or dry ice, but extensive pelt and pelt chilled water experiments and phase change) and experimenting for almost 20 years, never have I run into a 'screw removal/strippage" problem on a cpu heatsink....

you should solve this problem first, get the cooler screw problem figured out....as far as heat goes, feel the cooler as close to the base as possible, that is were the most heat will be....I use a laser guided infrared thermometer, instant results and no burned fingers, you can pick them up on the cheap for about $30 to $40 at Harbor Freight Tools, sometimes less (I got mine on a blowout coupon sale for $20 I believe) depending on what discount coupons and kind of sale they are having...they are always having a sale, LOL...

you never mentioned whether you cleared the CMOS as suggested by Un4given, sometimes this will get you up and running again....

PS testers are nice but can be expensive, an inexpensive voltmeter can also do the job of testing.....

you need to get the heatsink off and test the cpu in another rig, then move on depending on the results...

laterzzzz.......
    Last edited by bldegle2; 07-02-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Tbird quotes:

"I am done with 3dmark."

side note here, i just hate it when a OP gives sketchy informations RE: their problem...then doesn't respond completely to specific suggestions or questions....

do they expect us to look into a magic crystal ball and make the call? jeesh...also, if you got resolution to your problem, how about letting us know......

laterzzzzz.........
    Last edited by bldegle2; 07-06-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Tbird quotes:

"I am done with 3dmark."

Catfish
    side note here, i just hate it when a OP gives sketchy informations RE: their problem...then doesn't respond completely to specific suggestions or questions....

do they expect us to look into a magic crystal ball and make the call? jeesh...also, if you got resolution to your problem, how about letting us know......

laterzzzzz.........
    Hey guys sorry for the late reply, I didn't purposely ignore you guys after finding the solution to the problem, or figuring out what the problem was. Basically it was not a power supply problem.

I figured out why the screws were so difficult to take out too, it's because they are designed to come undone in the opposite direction of a normal screw. There are bolts that screw into them under the motherboard, those have to be removed each time you take the cpu heatsink off. The heatsink brand is the Cooler Master Hyper N520.

I left this computer to the side for so long that I did not remember how I installed the heatsink in the first place. But I had to use that heatsink in a new, replacement build, which I would be taking out the old CPU and motherboard and be replacing them with brand new ones, a Phenom II X6 1100t, and a Gigabyte GDA-870A-UD3. So i figured out the bolts on the bottom after analyzing it more, and so i replaced everything and booted it up and it was fine, but the older CPU and heatsink and motherboard only no longer worked because I put too much thermal paste on the CPU and it overflowed and leaked into the cpu pins on the mobo, but i never knew how much thermal paste was "enough" to apply to a CPU, so I now only put a drop of thermal paste and spread it around the whole cpu with a credit card, no more. I feel like an idiot but we all learned our mistakes one way, and the old cpu and motherboard is very cheap to replace, so no worries. That's basically it, the problem and solution. Sorry for the delays, despite me creating this thread lol, and thank you all for the very helpful suggestions.

check your PM's, sent you a promo code from NewEgg (good for 48hrs) for a great dealio on a laser guided infrared themometer, reg $34.99, $19.99 with code at checkout, nifty little gadget for temps...no disturbance to internals with fumbling hands, great way to isolate hot spots....nice geek tool, LOL

have fun...glad to hear you got problem solved....bummer on the fried components....

laterzzzz..........
    Last edited by bldegle2; 07-13-2011 at 07:39 AM.

Tbird quotes:

"I am done with 3dmark."

Catfish
    check your PM's, sent you a promo code from NewEgg (good for 48hrs) for a great dealio on a laser guided infrared themometer, reg $34.99, $19.99 with code at checkout, nifty little gadget for temps...no disturbance to internals with fumbling hands, great way to isolate hot spots....nice geek tool, LOL

have fun...glad to hear you got problem solved....bummer on the fried components....

laterzzzz..........
    Thanks man, yeah i learned alot more about that stuff, ive always been my own teacher in learning computer stuff, that's the only way i learn sometimes, by ruining stuff lol.

"by ruining stuff lol."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think all of us can say, been there, done that, LOL...I've done it more than once....
    Last edited by bldegle2; 07-14-2011 at 07:07 AM.

Tbird quotes:

"I am done with 3dmark."