SSD Not Detected Anymore

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSD Not Detected Anymore

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar

SSD Not Detected Anymore

So, I woke up this morning to a BSOD. I restarted and it said it couldn't boot into windows. I went into the BIOS and my SSD is not showing up. I moved it to another sata port and changed the wire to no avail.

Am I pretty much screwed? I've only used it for about 6-7 months. I've never had a HDD fail on me and this is pretty disheartening as I had some semi-important data on there.

I'm going to pick up a Sata to USB cable and hopefully get back some data, but I doubt it.

Any quick fixes that may have caused it? If not, I will RMA, sell that SSD, and be done with them until they become more reliable.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Great White Shark
    What was the BSOD? Is the system fully protected from power anomalies, not just spikes?
    Have you tried it on another system? It is possible that the formatting is messed up.

IMO SSD's are more reliable than rotating media. I have 2 of them (one with heavy server use) and have not encountered a single error. Prior to SATA, I used to go through a 2½" PATA drive in a month or two - all under warranty.

I put the computer to sleep and went to bed. I woke up to BSOD. I believe when the computer went to access the essential data it wrote to the SSD before sleeping, it did not find it and popped the BSOD. As for formatting, I don't see how that would cause the BIOS to not detect the SSD.

I do not have a UPS, but it is on surge protection. Everything else works fine in the house, so I do not believe that to be the problem.
    Last edited by Timman_24; 08-29-2011 at 03:18 PM.

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Have you tried clearing the BIOS? I've had issues before when my BIOs was flaking out over my CPU and I had to clear the BIOs to get it rebooted up. Obviously not the same thing, but maybe something happened with the MB.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Great White Shark
    First suggestion: If possible, connect the drive to another known good system. See if it shows up there.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

I just hooked it up to my laptop using a SATA to USB connector. It will not recognize the drive. I plugged just the connector into the computer without the drive and it recognizes the connector. I then plug the drive into the connector and it disappears.

I've heard some SSDs had problems coming out of S3 sleep. Could this be the issue? If so, is this an RMA situation? OCZ forums say to never sleep or hibernate a SSD system as a precaution.

Great White Shark
    I hibernate my OCZ drive on my notebook quite often. I make sure the cache is flushed before hand. I've never had an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    I hibernate my OCZ drive on my notebook quite often. I make sure the cache is flushed before hand. I've never had an issue.
    Make sure you are running 1.32 firmware or you could have issues. The forums are flooded with people having the same issue. Some get it on day one and others get it 6 months down the line. It kicks the SSD into "panic mode" and only a lucky hotplug or RMA will fix it.

Great White Shark
    I don't see the firmware version listed in device manager. Where is it located?

I don't see the firmware version listed in device manager. Where is it located?
    You may need to download OCZ's SSD tools to check your firmware, you can upgrade through the same program suite unless your SSD is the boot drive. Then you have to do it through a linux boot up device or some other way.

I just got windows going again on my new HDD I picked up today. I got a Seagate 1TB Barracuda Black label. Nothing fancy just 7200RPM. Surprisingly, I notice very little difference in the boot time. It actually boots faster than when I had the SSD through the bios (not into windows though.) I don't have all my programs reinstalled yet, but I'm not feeling too much difference.

I'll probably hold off on getting a new SSD anytime soon. I'll RMA the one I have and most likely sell it to recoup some of the cost of my downtime and replacement, or I may throw it in my Netbook or PS3 for kicks.

I'll revisit SSDs when they are big enough (for the price) for me to put my games on there

EDIT: Also, I am beginning to sync my important files to Amazon S3 on a weekly basis, so this doesn't happen again.
    Last edited by Timman_24; 08-29-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Great White Shark
    My OCZ Vertex 3 drive is running firmware 2.06.
    2.09 is out but I'm not having any issues so I won't update.
    Last edited by ua549; 08-30-2011 at 02:33 PM.

My OCZ Vertex 3 drive is running firmware 2.06.
    2.09 is out but I'm not having any issues so I won't update.
    I've never touched the firmware on my Revo, never had any issues so I've left it alone. I don't keep anything important on the SSD, but it would be a real pain to have to reinstall windows, office and all the games.
    RIG:
    XCLIO 2000 Black & Titanium Case
    KingWin Gold Certified 80+ 1000 Watt PS
    Asus P8Z77-V Premium Motherboard
    Intel Core I7 3770K @ 5.0 gHz
    Corsair CWCH70 Hydro Series H80 CPU Liquid Cooler
    CORSAIR Vengence 16GB
    PowerColor Radeon 7990 6GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 3 SSD
    1TB WD Black Edition SATA 3 + 3TB Seagate SATA 3
    Panasonic DVD
    Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit

My OCZ Vertex 3 would cause my system to BSOD about once every 12 hours. It was a common issue affecting many. 2.09 fixed all that for me.

SSDs are so much faster than a HDD. I'm surprised you don't notice it Timman. Huge difference for me.

Quote Originally Posted by vertices View Post
    My OCZ Vertex 3 would cause my system to BSOD about once every 12 hours. It was a common issue affecting many. 2.09 fixed all that for me.

SSDs are so much faster than a HDD. I'm surprised you don't notice it Timman. Huge difference for me.
    Don't get me wrong, I noticed it for sure. Especially when I had numerous programs beginning on startup. However, once the system gets started it is a little less noticeable since Win7 pre-caches your most used programs.

I guess my point is, I was surprised how easy it was to go back to a HDD for the OS. I will definitely be going back to a SSD, but I think the big benefit for me is when I can put my steamapp folder on a SSD, which will be quite some time seeing that it is 400GB haha.

After going to a SSD and then going back to a HDD, I'm not sure it was worth the extra money at this point for me. The 4 month failure does leave a bad taste in my mouth, so I may be a little bias right now

What would be nice is if Steam allowed multiple storage locations for the steamapp folder which you could choose upon downloading the game. Or, better yet, let me choose to move the games between locations. Say, if I want to store Dead Space on my HDD archive when I am not going to be playing it and then click "move to SSD" for when I am planning to play it more often.