SSD Not Detected Anymore - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SSD Not Detected Anymore

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Also, I applied for the RMA and will be shipping it today or tomorrow. OCZ makes me pay for shipping both ways... Kind of lame to do with all the problems they have been having. Hopefully they send me a Vertex 3
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Great White Shark
    FWIW I have not had any issues with my Vertex 3 running firmware 2.06.

Sushi

6-7 months is pretty good

>
    Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    So, I woke up this morning to a BSOD.
    > I restarted and it said it couldn't boot into windows. I went into the
    > BIOS and my SSD is not showing up. I moved it to another sata port
    > and changed the wire to no avail.
    >Am I pretty much screwed? I've only used it for about 6-7 months.
    > I've never had a HDD fail on me and this is pretty disheartening
    > as I had some semi-important data on there.
    >I'm going to pick up a Sata to USB cable and hopefully get back
    >some data, but I doubt it.
    >Any quick fixes that may have caused it? If not, I will RMA, sell that SSD,
    >and be done with them until they become more reliable.
    6-7 months lifespan for ocz ssd is pretty good - the average life of an ocz ssd for me is about 4 months, after which you get the inevitable drive not detected by bios. crap knows why anyone bothers with them.

Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    FWIW I have not had any issues with my Vertex 3 running firmware 2.06.
    hmm, know issues with a ocz ssd ? you only way i know you can have no issues with one of those is that you never got round to installing it !

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by armchairnavigator View Post
    hmm, know issues with a ocz ssd ? you only way i know you can have no issues with one of those is that you never got round to installing it !
    I hav 2 that have been running 24/7 for the past 6 months on my server with ~50 I/O's per second and on my notebook with more than 10 I/O's per second.

Perhaps you should stay in your armchair because you know not of what you speak!

Expensive Sushi
    Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    I just got windows going again on my new HDD I picked up today. I got a Seagate 1TB Barracuda Black label. Nothing fancy just 7200RPM. Surprisingly, I notice very little difference in the boot time. It actually boots faster than when I had the SSD through the bios (not into windows though.) I don't have all my programs reinstalled yet, but I'm not feeling too much difference.

I'll probably hold off on getting a new SSD anytime soon. I'll RMA the one I have and most likely sell it to recoup some of the cost of my downtime and replacement, or I may throw it in my Netbook or PS3 for kicks.

I'll revisit SSDs when they are big enough (for the price) for me to put my games on there

EDIT: Also, I am beginning to sync my important files to Amazon S3 on a weekly basis, so this doesn't happen again.

If you don't see any difference in boot times between a 7200rpm HD and an SSD then something is not set up\configured properly. I have upgraded my Asus G73 laptop from a 7200rpm Seagate HD to an OCZ Vertex 2 a year ago. My boot times on the standard HD were about 45 seconds. After switching to the SSD the boot time was reduced to 18 seconds.
    One word of advice I can give you is don't mirror\ghost your HD onto an SSD. You will end up with exactly the same boot times as your old mechanical drive (I tried that myself just to prove a point).

Great White Shark
    SSD's must be formatted on a 4k sector boundary for top performance.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    It is all subjective. I couldn't care less about boot times since I sleep my computer, which is why 15s vs ~30s maybe twice a month isn't a big deal.

I'm now on an Intel SSD and haven't had any troubles, but it has only been going for about 2-3 months.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

couple of points here, first, a ghosting/image install DOES NOT replicate spinners boot times, I have done many an image and at least an equal amount of 'fresh installs', boot times becomes ripping fast with an image, just the same as a fresh install..

The trick to ghosting properly lies in the way you do it, first, obviously, your spinner OS must be tight, no errors, defragged, all things CLEAN...then, image to the SSD WITHOUT formating the SSD, have it factory RAW or do a secure erase just before install or imaging, the imaging softwares now automatically align at install, DON'T format before install like with a spinner, you would do that only if the SSD is used as a storage drive...it takes me a total of maybe 45 minutes this way versus all day with updates and programs and data infusions...

Also, it is hit and miss with the sleep/hibernation function using an SSD, there is more than enough evidence of failure coming out of sleep/hibernation for me to disable it, one less thing to worry about..YMMV

Third, I am on the bandwagon RE: reliability...my first SSD (Vertex 3 120GB Sata III) went bellyup after about 45 days in my main rig, the second one has been nice since the RMA replacement, but I can not totally trust it after the first go round...

On the other hand, I slammed a SandDisk Ultra Sata II 120gb SSD (the notebook is Sata II only) , again properly cloned, and it has been a dream since day one, saturating the Sata II bus with 287+ reads and 267+ writes, this with an AMD based system, so it really smokes considering an 8 to 10% overhead on the 300 standard...

The next time the OCZ fails, I am switching brands, OCZ may sell a lot of SSD's because of performance and price, but their failure rate claims of only 1% overall is total bunk...their customer service rocks, at least it did for me the couple of times I needed to use it (ram back in the day, SSD now)...

I will bet in another years' time a lot of these current SSD's will be failing, I see many going strong for 6 months or a year, then whammo bammo out of the blue, my first one at least failed a slow miserable death rather than instant lockout, saved all the data, tried for weeks to get it to cooperate with secure erases, reflashing current firmwares more than once, 4 separate OS fresh installs, updates, program loads, at least an equal amount of loads of the original image from the 74gb Raptor it replaced, it just kept getting more and more funky, finally, I was completely locked out and I tried everything..

Just my several cents worth, I am loving the speed, but is the worry worth it down the long road?? In my world, before I got the Sandisk SSD, I only had handled 2 SSD's, one failed, so that is a 50% failure rate within two months, add the Sanddisk for the lappy, and that figure drops to 33%, still abnormally high...

On a side note, hot unplugging and replugging may bring the SSD back, grab your data, get a replacement...

The best part of the about all this is that, just like seat belts, pretty soon everyone will be doing backups, it should be a requirement included with the OS, automatic, no choice in the matter...

just sayin'....

laterzzzzzz.........
    Last edited by bldegle2; 03-02-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    I am gettin too old for all this st.ff!

Specs? it runs.................

Tbird quotes:

"I dont care that much for gaming"
    "I am done with 3dmark."

AsRock 970 Extreme4,Vishera 8320 @4.6, Vertex 4 256GB SataIII SSD, 2xVelociraptor 600GB 10,000 spinner in raid 0 storage....16g Gskill DDR3 2133 @2292, ATI 6850, back on huge air (quiet)....HP Laptop redone OS (ie, no HP krud), AMD Phenom II N620, 8gig DDR3 1333 ram, Sanddisk SataII 120GB SSD, Toshiba 500GB 7200 spinner...