Raspberry Pi: Anyone planning to get one?

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi: Anyone planning to get one?

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar

Raspberry Pi: Anyone planning to get one?

I'm sure most of you have heard of it, but if not, it is a small ARM based board about the size of a credit card that will run linux. It is powerful enough to play HD video, run word processors, and play basic games. It has HDMI, USB, Ethernet, audio jacks, composite video out, SD slot, and is powered by a 5 v usb mini jack. All for 25 dollars.

The purpose of the device is to allow 3rd world countries to purchase the small devices and teach their people how to use computers and access the internet as well as giving a cheap device to students to learn to program.

I am definitely going to pick one up when they come out.

The PCBs just arrived, so it will probably be ready to ship soon!

Read more here:
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

You guys going to buy one when they hit the streets? Can't wait to custom fab a case for it

Also, it runs Quake 3 (1080p, 4xAA, max details) low fps, but still crazy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_mDuJuvZjI

It is supposedly as powerful as the first Xbox. My question though is, how fast does it SuperPi 32M? lol
    Last edited by Timman_24; 12-10-2011 at 08:34 PM.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

This was the one where they're using the cost of selling them to the public to help offset the costs of sending them to other countries right?

I figure I'll pick one up to play with.
    Insert ancient Sharky sig here
    [
    Prince Vindir of the OC Crusaders
    Holding Boundaries and Breaking Barriers

]

I wish the ports are built in, from the pictures it looks like you have to solder the pins to the ports.

I guess it is more flexiable, but I would rather it be already solder so I can plug and play

opps never mind:
    Please don’t worry: there is absolutely no soldering required in the finished product.
    Last edited by rimmerchant; 12-13-2011 at 01:39 PM.
    C2D Q6600 @ 3.2 ghz, Enermax Liberty 620watt PSU, Gigabyte GA-965PDS3 mobo, 4x2gb OCZ DDR2 800mhz, 2x OCZ vertex 60gb Raid0 + 1TB + 320gb HD, SB Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer, 16x DVDRW Liteon, Logitech Cordless MX3100 desktop w MX1000 mouse + G9 laser mouse, Logitech cordless rumblepad 2, Sennheiser HDR100 wireless headset, ATI Remote Wonder II, Logitech QuickCamPro 9000, Eyefinity Triple 24" Widescrn LCD + ATI 5870, Win 7 ultimate

I'm definitely interested in things like Raspberry Pi and Arduino. I think the biggest problem is a real lack of imagination on how to use them. That may have something to do with the lack of wireless, which has become something of a necessary feature.

The gaming application is really cool. It's a bit of the shame now, looking back on it, that so many early games were D3D and require an old version of Windows to run. I don't know that anyone will develop specifically to run on old hardware, but it would be amazing to play older spirte-based games on a $25 rig like this…if only they would run.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    I'm definitely interested in things like Raspberry Pi and Arduino. I think the biggest problem is a real lack of imagination on how to use them. That may have something to do with the lack of wireless, which has become something of a necessary feature.

The gaming application is really cool. It's a bit of the shame now, looking back on it, that so many early games were D3D and require an old version of Windows to run. I don't know that anyone will develop specifically to run on old hardware, but it would be amazing to play older spirte-based games on a $25 rig like this…if only they would run.
    It runs linux, so you can get emulators for old sprite games to work.

or u can get something like this for $15
    http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8197210

I actually did a review of this thing Six years ago...
    http://www.geniv.com/kin/reviews/r_vgpocket/
    C2D Q6600 @ 3.2 ghz, Enermax Liberty 620watt PSU, Gigabyte GA-965PDS3 mobo, 4x2gb OCZ DDR2 800mhz, 2x OCZ vertex 60gb Raid0 + 1TB + 320gb HD, SB Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer, 16x DVDRW Liteon, Logitech Cordless MX3100 desktop w MX1000 mouse + G9 laser mouse, Logitech cordless rumblepad 2, Sennheiser HDR100 wireless headset, ATI Remote Wonder II, Logitech QuickCamPro 9000, Eyefinity Triple 24" Widescrn LCD + ATI 5870, Win 7 ultimate

Mine came in the mail today. Very small but well built. Thick pcb, nice connectors, and it is well marked. Didn't have a chance to hook it up but I am planning to mess with it more tomorrow. Im curious to see if it will stream 1080p.

Reef Shark
    I'm thinking of picking one up. I haven't really "messed around" with a computer in years because they're good enough at this point that I don't really need to, but this would be a fun and cheap platform to just have some silly fun with.

Im still waiting. Supposed to be here in June.
    Compaq A910em: T2330 dual core 1.6Ghz, X3100 384MB GPU, 160GB sata HDD, 2GB RAM
    Gaming rig: Asus Striker II, Coolermaster GX 750w, E4600 @ 2.4Ghz, 2.5GB RAM, Zerotherm FZ 120, 9500GT 1GB
    Server: Mac mini running W23k Server - 1.8Ghz dual-core, 1GB RAM, 1x80GB, 2x500GB externals + LTO1 tape backup

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders

Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    Mine came in the mail today. Very small but well built. Thick pcb, nice connectors, and it is well marked. Didn't have a chance to hook it up but I am planning to mess with it more tomorrow. Im curious to see if it will stream 1080p.
    Nice... pics please!! Mine won't get here till at least August...

Fired it up a few minutes ago. I installed the quick build of debian on an SD card and hooked up all the wires. Booted right up and went to the desktop. There was some issue with the resolution. My monitor said it was getting a 1080p signal, but there were black bars about 50-75px wide all around the screen. I tried forcing some HDMI parameters during bootup, but haven't figured it out yet.

There is some talk about people bringing netflix over to the raspberry pi. As of right now people are still scrambling to make beta builds of the needed software to use it as a HDPC/server archive. Basic functionality is there, such as surfing the net or programming, but it will be a while before the typical consumer will be able to do anything with it.

As for speed, it feels like an iPhone with a large screen. The internet works fine, not nearly as smooth as a PC but totally usable. I can't wait to see what people do with it. I highly doubt it will stream 1080p, but time will tell.

Did you get it from Allied Electronics?

MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 640GB HD
    Desktop: i5 2500K (w/ CM Hyper 212 Plus) , 16GB DDR3, 2x240GB OCZ Agility SSD, 2x1TB in RAID0, 2xeVGA GeForce GTX 570, Corsair TX750M PSU, ASUS Sabertooth P67, Dell 2209WA eIPS LCD
    Home Server: Intel Pentium G630, ASRock H61M/U3S3, 4GB RAM, 80GB + 2TB HD

I got it from RS. I ordered from farnell as well but haven't seen it yet.

I help out with an initiative to encourage school kids into science and technology so I fancy getting one of these for that although at the moment I'm not sure well best to use it in that role. I've been discussing it with someone else who is also part of the same system who has bought one and very keen on it who pointed out that these days computing skills taught at schools are Microsoft Office and similar, not programming as it was back in my day. Hence getting them started with a Pi that they can take home, work on themselves and bring back in the next week is appealing.

John

Leviathan - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, Noctua NH D15 Cromax, Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR 3200Mhz, Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB, 4TB SSD/26TB HDD. Fractal Design R6, Corsair RM850X
    Rocinante - Intel i7 8750H, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, 2.2TB SSD, Alienware M15 R1

Reef Shark
    I'm not sure teaching kids low level programming makes all that much sense at this point. There are much more relevant ways to get them excited about Math, Science, and Engineering. It seems kind of like forcing kids to read Shakespeare and thinking that it'll make them appreciate literature, that's just not how it is. If the school already has normal computers in their budget I don't really see the use for Raspberry Pi except as an Arduino-like thing.

When I was in Middle School we had Lego Mindstorms (yeah I'm pretty young). That was great because we got to build Lego stuff, and then program it. Even those who weren't really into it understood the logic of "if (pressure sensor thinks the robot bumped into something) {turn a couple degrees and try going forward again}", and the kids who got really into it were able to make much more sophisticated stuff. The year after we did Mindstorms in Science class there was the option to take a programming class (basic Java stuff) and I think a decent number of kids signed up for it because they liked figuring out the logic stuff in Mindstorms. Then the year after the Java class there was a legit computer science class where we learned about actual algorithms, how various search/sort types work, why some are better than others, etc. People need to be eased into things, and giving them a terminal window first thing doesn't really do that.

Only a tiny fraction of kids will ever care about getting down and dirty with a command prompt. Teach kids how to use a computer to interface with a robot or make stuff show up on their iPads and you might have an actual audience that you can then show the more complicated things to.
    Last edited by Steven P Jobs; 05-24-2012 at 12:49 PM.