Apple wins patent on key smartphone feature - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apple wins patent on key smartphone feature

Quote Originally Posted by drdoom View Post
    Apple should stick with marketing gadgets to 13 yr olds instead of suing everyone in sight. They started all this how many years ago when people wanted to sell Apple clones? That's when I started using PC's and never looked back. Where did that get them? They have no desktop business. They sell PC's ported to run their OS to people who are willing to pay a premium. That is a niche market at best.
    Where did it get them? It got them to be the largest, most influential, technology company in the world. It's true, they have no desktop business—but the desktop business is dead. Home desktops…talk about a niche market at best. That's for old people. What are you, 65? Hell, even old people have iPads now instead.

Notebooks and mobile devices have completely killed the home desktop market, and continue to beat on its dead corpse.

The idea of "the desktop" only exists for gamers and in the enterprise—and even the latter is being challenged with things like PCoIP.
    Last edited by ImaNihilist; 01-18-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Mako Shark
    Your right there were only 352 million PC's shipped in 2011 in the middle of the worst global economy in recent memory. Why bother with 352 million units, might as well stop selling that product. The point was suing everyone is generally bad for your business long term. Perhaps my point was too subtle? As for my personal computing needs, I find mobile devices pretty much useless. The only time I don't have a computer in front of me is when I'm driving. I don't have any use for a mobile device besides being able to call or text someone. Unlike the average teenager, I have no need to update my facebook every 5 minutes.

Your right there were only 352 million PC's shipped in 2011 in the middle of the worst global economy in recent memory. Why bother with 352 million units, might as well stop selling that product. The point was suing everyone is generally bad for your business long term. Perhaps my point was too subtle? As for my personal computing needs, I find mobile devices pretty much useless. The only time I don't have a computer in front of me is when I'm driving. I don't have any use for a mobile device besides being able to call or text someone. Unlike the average teenager, I have no need to update my facebook every 5 minutes.
    Desktop PC sales only make up about 20% of Dell's revenue. The margins are all ****. IBM got out of the business all together, because it was a shrinking business with declining profit margins.

Apple has been suing companies that are effectively infringing on their trade dress. It doesn't even really have to do with technology.

Apple should stick with marketing gadgets to 13 yr olds instead of suing everyone in sight. They started all this how many years ago when people wanted to sell Apple clones? That's when I started using PC's and never looked back
    Hahaha love it. Apple products have always become a bit hipster-ish. Maybe ms's ethos of crushing the competition by monopolising the market rubbed off on them when gates jumped aboard?

I just wish ms and apple would spend less time worrying about piracy and infringement and instead innovate and make their products better. Some Chinese clone for instance may come out, but if you price your authentic product reasonably and give people a reason to buy your product, you will always have faithful customers.
    Compaq A910em: T2330 dual core 1.6Ghz, X3100 384MB GPU, 160GB sata HDD, 2GB RAM
    Gaming rig: Asus Striker II, Coolermaster GX 750w, E4600 @ 2.4Ghz, 2.5GB RAM, Zerotherm FZ 120, 9500GT 1GB
    Server: Mac mini running W23k Server - 1.8Ghz dual-core, 1GB RAM, 1x80GB, 2x500GB externals + LTO1 tape backup

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders

You're wildly behind the times. Apple continues to grow by leaps and bounds and will likely be the largest PC manufacturer in America within 5 years.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/11/...ts-in-4q-2011/

Plus more and more businesses are switching to Apple.
    Forrester Research estimates that Apple will sell $9 billion in Macs and $10 billion in iPads to corporations this year, up 50% from 2011. Forrester anticipates spending on PCs and tablets made by other companies will decline by 3% to $69 billion.
    Whether you like them or not they are the most successful PC company in the world and everyone copies them. I applaud their patent efforts and hope they rip Samsung a new one. People who buy Samsung products should be ashamed to support such a blatant ripoff artist. At the very least they should offer their products for $50, like the fake Rolex you buy on the street. It's not like they have a lot of R&D costs. At most the few hundred dollars it costs them to buy a new iDevice and copy it outright.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDigital View Post
    People who buy Samsung products should be ashamed to support such a blatant ripoff artist. At the very least they should offer their products for $50, like the fake Rolex you buy on the street. It's not like they have a lot of R&D costs. At most the few hundred dollars it costs them to buy a new iDevice and copy it outright.
    buying and supporting apple is also indirectly supporting samsung since half the parts in the iphone and ipad come from samsung.. same with the macbook and imacs.. the SSD drives apple uses are from samsung as are the ram modules and many times the IPS displays
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

Hammerhead Shark
    You're wildly behind the times. Apple continues to grow by leaps and bounds and will likely be the largest PC manufacturer in America within 5 years.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/11/...ts-in-4q-2011/

Plus more and more businesses are switching to Apple.

Whether you like them or not they are the most successful PC company in the world and everyone copies them. I applaud their patent efforts and hope they rip Samsung a new one. People who buy Samsung products should be ashamed to support such a blatant ripoff artist. At the very least they should offer their products for $50, like the fake Rolex you buy on the street. It's not like they have a lot of R&D costs. At most the few hundred dollars it costs them to buy a new iDevice and copy it outright.
    Ashamed my galaxy 2 is a better phone than an iphone and cheaper at that? What should that shame me?
    "Mister, we deal in lead." (Steve McQueen, the Magnificent Seven)

Quote Originally Posted by md1198p View Post
    Ashamed my galaxy 2 is a better phone than an iphone and cheaper at that? What should that shame me?
    Better at what? Being bigger and bulkier? The iPhone 4S is the most polished phone on the market. Best screen, best camera, best OS.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

Better at what? Being bigger and bulkier? The iPhone 4S is the most polished phone on the market. Best screen, best camera, best OS.
    rabble rabble over priced rabble android unlocked rabble fanboy rabble rabble

Hammerhead Shark

It is bigger, but much thinner and lighter. It actually sits in your pocket better. The extra size from the much larger screen does not bother me. OS is a matter of choice, imo whichever you have been using will seem better. Better in that its faster, has I believe double the ram, can use sd cards and I can carry an extra battery. I can also use usb drives. And it was about a hundred bucks less, not counting the money saved by buying an sd card opposed to have to spend much more money just to have more storage. It does, however, lack a picture of a piece of fruit on it.

Great White Shark
    I have 48 GB of storage on my Galaxy S which is getting a bit old.
    The apps I can put on it are not subject to approval of the manufacturer.
    I can recompile the OS, a trivial task, to customize its capabilities to meet my needs.
    I can overclock it by at least 25% it to make it faster than an iPhone.
    Last but not least I would rather converse with Iris, a Greek goddess than Siri, a variation of Cyril.
    Iris \i-ris\ as a girl's name is pronounced EYE-riss. It is of Greek origin, and the meaning of Iris is "rainbow". A flower name. Mythology: Iris was a messenger-goddess who rode rainbows between heaven and earth to deliver messages from Olympus.

What are you talking about?

The Galaxy has a far better screen and a better camera.

The 4.5" Super AMOLED puts the 3.5" IPS iPhone screen to shame. That the Galaxy (Nexus) is full 720P isn't the real point, since the iPhone is so much smaller of a screen. But the display technology is way ahead on the Galaxy, brighter, clearer and far better contrast.

Ditto the camera. While the 8MP camera on the 4S sounds better, the tiny lens yields inferior results. Lens means more than Megapixels. I will grant you that the iPhone takes a better picture than my Razr, but the Galaxy outshines both.

OS is a matter of opinion. I actually went with the Razr because the Galaxy looked too "iPhoney" to me. But that's just a matter of taste.
    RIG:
    XCLIO 2000 Black & Titanium Case
    KingWin Gold Certified 80+ 1000 Watt PS
    Asus P8Z77-V Premium Motherboard
    Intel Core I7 3770K @ 5.0 gHz
    Corsair CWCH70 Hydro Series H80 CPU Liquid Cooler
    CORSAIR Vengence 16GB
    PowerColor Radeon 7990 6GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 3 SSD
    1TB WD Black Edition SATA 3 + 3TB Seagate SATA 3
    Panasonic DVD
    Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    I have 48 GB of storage on my Galaxy S which is getting a bit old.
    The apps I can put on it are not subject to approval of the manufacturer.
    I can recompile the OS, a trivial task, to customize its capabilities to meet my needs.
    I can overclock it by at least 25% it to make it faster than an iPhone.
    Last but not least I would rather converse with Iris, a Greek goddess than Siri, a variation of Cyril.
    Iris \i-ris\ as a girl's name is pronounced EYE-riss. It is of Greek origin, and the meaning of Iris is "rainbow". A flower name. Mythology: Iris was a messenger-goddess who rode rainbows between heaven and earth to deliver messages from Olympus.
    LOL

Personally, I like Cluzee the best, as the voice assistants go. It has no personality, but does exactly what I want, such as "send a text to my wife," actually will open texting in voice mode and wait for input, then send what I dictate. If I ask it if it loves me, it does a Google search. But if I wanted affirmation from my phone, I'd get an Apple. If I want to get something done, I get Android.
    RIG:
    XCLIO 2000 Black & Titanium Case
    KingWin Gold Certified 80+ 1000 Watt PS
    Asus P8Z77-V Premium Motherboard
    Intel Core I7 3770K @ 5.0 gHz
    Corsair CWCH70 Hydro Series H80 CPU Liquid Cooler
    CORSAIR Vengence 16GB
    PowerColor Radeon 7990 6GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 3 SSD
    1TB WD Black Edition SATA 3 + 3TB Seagate SATA 3
    Panasonic DVD
    Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by Geforce255 View Post
    The 4.5" Super AMOLED puts the 3.5" IPS iPhone screen to shame. That the Galaxy (Nexus) is full 720P isn't the real point, since the iPhone is so much smaller of a screen. But the display technology is way ahead on the Galaxy, brighter, clearer and far better contrast.
    Unless you want to use the phone outside... AMOLED has serious issues.

Ditto the camera. While the 8MP camera on the 4S sounds better, the tiny lens yields inferior results. Lens means more than Megapixels. I will grant you that the iPhone takes a better picture than my Razr, but the Galaxy outshines both.
    The iPhone camera is considered the best phone camera by almost everyone except people who are biased against Apple. It makes carrying a P&S camera redundant. Endless reviews will back that up.

Hammerhead Shark
    Unless you want to use the phone outside... AMOLED has serious issues.

The iPhone camera is considered the best phone camera by almost everyone except people who are biased against Apple. It makes carrying a P&S camera redundant. Endless reviews will back that up.
    Even if the camera is slightly better, the rest of the hardware is inferior. 1.5 gig proc vs 1.0 gig, half the ram, smaller screen. Storage is much more expensive if you want more than 16 gigs. And even if all that was equal, the not being able to change the battery would still be a dealbreaker for me. OS is a matter of opinion.
    Last edited by md1198p; 01-30-2012 at 06:44 PM.