Most reliable large drive for storage...

Sharky Forums

Thread: Most reliable large drive for storage...

Tiger Shark

Most reliable large drive for storage...

Hello guys,

Basically, I want to buy a large drive to use strictly for storage (video/music/data), and just store the data on it, probably not even have it plugged into the PC. I have been looking at some large 1TB hard drives, including external drives, but it seems everywhere I look there's at least a few reviews where the drive stops working after a few weeks.

obviously since I want to use it for storage, I want as reliable as possible. Dont care about speed.

Any recommendations? I dont want to spend more than $200-250 and want something in the 1TB range. SSDs in that range are too expensive and it wont make sense to use a SSD simply for storage anyway.

I already back my things to DVD-Rs, so the disk would be an "extra".

Thanks in advance!

AMD Phenom 2 X4 : 955 BE
    Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    4GB DDR3 Corsair 1333
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    320GB Western Digital RE3
    1 TB Western Digital Black
    750W Corsair PSU
    Thermaltake Armor+ MX Case
    NEC DVD-RW 3520
    Razer Copperhead Mouse
    Windows 7 Pro

Great White Shark
    Enterprise grade SAS/SATA drives are much more reliable than their consumer grade counterparts.

However, with the hdd shortage, They aren't even close to affordable anymore

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    I was looking at getting some small ones for secure storage for documents, but the price is absurd right now. I will definitely be setting up a RAID1 with enterprise level HDDs when I can find them for the right prie. 80-160GB is probably all I will need.

Unless the music/video are masters of your work, then I wouldn't worry too much about storing it safely. A simple RAID1 will be fine if you must, or if it is just going to sit unpowered and unaccessed then there is no reason at all to get an Enterprise level HDD setup. Use an external drive with good padding/case. You may want to look into shelf life. I do believe HDDs have a shelf life of several decades, but they will degrade just sitting.

On last thing, you could back them up online. Get an Amazon S3 account and upload to them. If you are uploading pirated stuff (not saying you are, just in case) then I wouldn't do that, but if not it is a great way to store data for practically no cost to you.
    Last edited by Timman_24; 01-25-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Tiger Shark
    Thanks for the advice. I was considering an external too, since I dont want to have it running all the time...I thought that would be better since youre not using it so it would last longer? Guess not.

Any good external models/brands to recommend?

AMD Phenom 2 X4 : 955 BE
    Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    4GB DDR3 Corsair 1333
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    320GB Western Digital RE3
    1 TB Western Digital Black
    750W Corsair PSU
    Thermaltake Armor+ MX Case
    NEC DVD-RW 3520
    Razer Copperhead Mouse
    Windows 7 Pro

IF you're worried about the drive being on all of the time, Win7 power settings can power off drives when they haven't been used for x minutes, so if you're not using the data drive it will be shut down until you access it again

Corsair 550vx
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L
    C2D e6750 @ 2.66
    2 gig ram
    Asus Radeon 4850
    Audigy 2

jesus, the prices right now are ridiculous

i was in the same shoes a year ago (wanted a cheap and reliable external storage solution) and went with this:

- dlink dns-320 NAS for $60
    - hitachi 2tb 5400rpm drives ($50 each x 2)

ended up spending less than $200 for a 4TB (2TB in RAID-1) external storage solution with some redundancy... i wouldnt trust ANY single drive to hold over 1TB of data reliably without some sort of backup or RAID in place.
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by kpxgq View Post
    jesus, the prices right now are ridiculous

i was in the same shoes a year ago (wanted a cheap and reliable external storage solution) and went with this:

- dlink dns-320 NAS for $60
    - hitachi 2tb 5400rpm drives ($50 each x 2)

ended up spending less than $200 for a 4TB (2TB in RAID-1) external storage solution with some redundancy... i wouldnt trust ANY single drive to hold over 1TB of data reliably without some sort of backup or RAID in place.
    Now just a single 2TB 5400rpm drive is almost $200. >.>

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Tiger Shark
    Not when you compare them to my 1st HDD: 6GB for $125 in 1999.
    Keep free, over the air television alive. Wireless services occupy enough spectrum already, they don't need any more. Free, OTA TV is what makes this country unique.