Little help with some Dropped Packets :)

Sharky Forums

Thread: Little help with some Dropped Packets :)

Sushi

Little help with some Dropped Packets :)

Hi, I have Time Warner San Antonio, and the issue that I have is, whenever I hardline into the modem (a Cisco DPC2100R2), I have zero issues, all pings to and fro within 15ms average and 0% loss. When I connect a router to that modem (and the Arris modem before it), I experience packet loss which can be seen over 4 computers, 1 kindle and an xbox.

The packet loss comes in surges, running out about 50 to 75 without fail, followed by 25 to 35 intermittant (every 3rd or 4rth packet dropped) followed by 25 to 30 completely lost (with maybe 1 or two that make it in there with a extremely high ping), followed by another 50 to 100 without failure.

Now this is currently occurring over a new Netgear N600, but was also happening on an SMC Barricade N prior to the Netgear purchase.

I've used to be a TWC tech, and had TWC come and verify the lines were clean of RF noise that can cause this issue on their end (this was prior to testing off the modem and seeing how well it was running). I've changed out the ethernet cables, I've changed the MTU size from 1500 to 1472 (which helped marginally, or at least it seemed like it did). IDK what else to try here, I am semi proficient with networking, but not really with the inner workings of networks. I've tried just about everything I can think of and searched for.

If anyone has had similar issues, please share, if anyone has any ideas on how to fix, please share.

My most recent continuous ping test came back as the following:
    Code:
    Ping statistics for 209.191.122.70:
        Packets: Sent = 733, Received = 676, Lost = 57 (7% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 15ms, Maximum = 67ms, Average = 17ms
    and my most recent Netstat is:
    Code:
    C:\DOCUME~1\MARLBO~1>netstat -s -p tcp

TCP Statistics for IPv4

Active Opens                        = 6338
      Passive Opens                       = 162
      Failed Connection Attempts          = 1284
      Reset Connections                   = 872
      Current Connections                 = 0
      Segments Received                   = 816983
      Segments Sent                       = 527989
      Segments Retransmitted              = 11938
    Oh, and before I forget, a ping -t to my router ip is clean with 0% loss
    Again, thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

I would suspect bad router or patch cable. I know you said you changed routers. I'd try with known good cables, and just a single workstation plugged directly into the router. Eliminate all variables and slowly add in new things until it fails.