Need help diagnosing popping speakers.

Sharky Forums

Thread: Need help diagnosing popping speakers.

Need help diagnosing popping speakers.

Every so often I get a pop out of my speakers. I'm running a set of Logitec Z-340 speakers. This happened on my previous build which had an Abit IP-35 Pro mobo. I was/am using onboard sound for both. This happened while running Vista and now with 7. It seemed at first it would happen anytime my min-fridge would kick on but I have since ruled that out. I have a hardwire internet connection and my wireless Linksys WRT 54G is on the other side of the house. I have no other wireless devices in the computer room.

Speaker properties in the OS are 24 bit, 48000 Hz. It happens during gaming and also while idle so I don't imagine it being a heat related issue. Unfortunately moving the system to another outlet is not an issue. I recently got an APC Surge Arrest P11VNT3 and I have all power cords and the ethernet conected to that.

Any ideas? Could it just be the speakers? I've had them since my first build many years ago.
    my rig

cpu: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.5ghz
    mobo: AsRock Z68 Extreme4
    ram: 4x4gig GSkill Ripjaw X ddr3 1866
    cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    mouse: Logitech G500
    video: MSI GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB
    hdd(s): Crucial M4 SSD 240 gig (Windows 7)
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (data drive)
    dvd +/- r: Pioneer 111D D/L
    monitor: 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
    psu: PC P&C 610W
    chassis: NZXT Phantom

Hammerhead Shark
    Like all hardware, it could be the speakers getting old. However, this is what I would do:

- check the area that the cables are and make sure there is no dust. Dust has a habit of building static electricity which is problematic for audiophiles.

- check the cables you are using for the speakers. Make sure they are not loose.

- check the sound card. Make sure that it isn't loose.

If all of that is good and it's still popping, then take the speakers and plug them into something else (like an MP3 player) and see if you still get the popping when you play something.

These are the first steps I would take. Popping usually means there is some static interference.

MOBO: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    CPU: i7-2700K @3.5 ghz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    CPU COOLING:Corsair Hydro H80i
    VIDEO: MSI TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 OC N760 in SLI
    HDD: Intel 320-160GB SSD
    HDD: Samsung 840 250GB SSD
    MEDIA: Plextor Dual DVD
    PSU: CORSAIR HX750W
    CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower
    10 x64 Home Premium
    Monitor: AOC ,32" curved 1440p