Sound card suggestion.

Sharky Forums

Thread: Sound card suggestion.

Mako Shark

Sound card suggestion.

I want a sound card for 5.1 movie sound with gaming a secondary consideration.
    Suggestions? I also need optical out. I have a SB Audigy 2 in the computer now but I want to run it through my Yamaha receiver. Is there are way to do that without an optical connector? Could I use the HDMI connection? I might be easier just to spend 50USD and get another card.

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by drdoom View Post
    I want a sound card for 5.1 movie sound with gaming a secondary consideration.
    Suggestions? I also need optical out. I have a SB Audigy 2 in the computer now but I want to run it through my Yamaha receiver. Is there are way to do that without an optical connector? Could I use the HDMI connection? I might be easier just to spend 50USD and get another card.
    There is also the option of using coax digital (The single, usually orange RCA connector).

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

I'd suggest a sound card from Auzentech.

They have one that uses Creative's X-Fi chip (good for gaming) but also does Dolby and DTS sound for movies. I believe that the Prelude has optical out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Citizen View Post
    We should nuke the United States.
    i7-930 CPU w. Scythe Mugen2, Intel DX58SO mobo, WD Raptor 600GB 10K RPM HDD, 8GB PC12800 RAM, nVidia GTX285 2GB w. Artic Cooling Extreme, Antec P182SE case, Enermax MODU87+ 850W PSU, Vista 64 bit business, Xeno 128MB PCIe Killer NIC, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe, Viewsonic 28" VX2835wm LCD

Mako Shark
    Good place to get one? Newegg does not have them for some reason.

I have an Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1, it does what I need it to do, handle games with aplomb and movies in 5.1 DTS just fine. And yeah, for some strange reason, newegg does not stock Auzen cards....btw, mine has coaxial digital out instead of optical, some models have both outputs. I have mine hooked up to my Z-5500 via coaxial and I can say I'm happy with the sound I'm getting.
    Save Ana
    http://www.jpages.net/HelpAna.htm

Main Rig - All AMD build: R9 3900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 8GB 3600CL17 Patriot ViperRGB | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 (OS) | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung QVO SATA SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 6TB WD Black | Corsair HX 1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Samsung LC49HG90DMEXX 32:9 | iFi Micro iDSD BL | LG SL8YG Soundbar | 64bit Win10 Pro

don't you have a 5850? does it have hdmi-out? i'm running hdmi-out from my 6970 to pioneer receiver. i had an asus hdav i spent over $100 on and before that an auzentech card, but I find less complications using the ati/realtek chip and it has better sound. If it's got the same chip as the 6970, it can output 5.1 DDlive as well. also in response to your video bottleneck post, ditch winxp. -__-
    Last edited by Kero-chan; 03-13-2012 at 03:47 AM.
    Batou's evil twin
    im a homosexual but i disliike obama for his non-*** policies
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    I'm happy for you. Why don't you go pick up a case of AIDS.

Mako Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Kero-chan View Post
    don't you have a 5850? does it have hdmi-out? i'm running hdmi-out from my 6970 to pioneer receiver. i had an asus hdav i spent over $100 on and before that an auzentech card, but I find less complications using the ati/realtek chip and it has better sound. If it's got the same chip as the 6970, it can output 5.1 DDlive as well. also in response to your video bottleneck post, ditch winxp. -__-
    I have 12.1 installed and ran my HDMI cable to my receiver but no sound. Is there an audio chip on the video card or is it just doing pass through?

Mako Shark
    [QUOTE=Kero-chan;2761732]don't you have a 5850?

The 5850's are in my main machine. The sound works fine over the HDMI cables on that but of course that's not the computer I have need the HDMI sound to work on. I am trying to get the 4850's to work. Do they do sound?

[QUOTE=drdoom;2761794]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kero-chan View Post
    don't you have a 5850?

The 5850's are in my main machine. The sound works fine over the HDMI cables on that but of course that's not the computer I have need the HDMI sound to work on. I am trying to get the 4850's to work. Do they do sound?
    afaik, it's the same realtek chip as the current ati cards. hdmi audio should work the same. maybe try going to realtek's site and install the ati hdmi audio drivers and see if that works.
    Batou's evil twin
    im a homosexual but i disliike obama for his non-*** policies
    Quote Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
    I'm happy for you. Why don't you go pick up a case of AIDS.