Interesting numbers on Apple

Sharky Forums

Thread: Interesting numbers on Apple

Hybrid View

Mako Shark

Interesting numbers on Apple

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/iOS...les,14733.html

125,000,000 or so total Mac sales in 28 years? I knew it was low but I had no idea it was that low. One good point is people do tend to change phones frequently and computers very infrequently.

Macs also stay in standard operation much longer than PCs I've found. There are still a lot of operational Power Books and Power Macs out there. Power Mac G5s from '05/'06 still go for $500.

You standard consumer grade Dell/Acer crapbook will literally start to fall apart at the hinges after two years.

Mako Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    Macs also stay in standard operation much longer than PCs I've found. There are still a lot of operational Power Books and Power Macs out there. Power Mac G5s from '05/'06 still go for $500.

You standard consumer grade Dell/Acer crapbook will literally start to fall apart at the hinges after two years.
    Since replacement cost is so much lower for a PC and the hardware evolves so much faster people are more likely to just replace a PC instead of keeping the one they have working properly. I still have PII's and PIII's that work fine. I replaced them because they are slow not because they don't work. How much faster are current MAC's compared to 2005? A 2005 PC got you a single core A64 or a P4 with 8xx series ATI graphics or 7xxx Nvidia graphics. The reason there is no resale value is because current PC's are infinitely faster. A system with the slowest most inexpensive parts still blow away a 2005 spec computer.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    My professor still uses a G5 as his workstation. He programs, runs simulations, etc and it is still powerful enough to do those basic things. When he sends me code, my computer runs it ~20x faster though.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Mako Shark
    The Power Mac G5 was introduced with three models, sharing the same physical case, but differing in features and performance. The 1.6 GHz model shipped with 256 megabytes (MB) of RAM, an 80 GB hard drive, and could hold a maximum of 4 GB of RAM, and an nVidia GeForce 5200 graphics card with 64 MB VRAM with one ADC output and one DVI output. The 1.8 and dual-processor and 2.0 GHz models shipped with 512 MB of RAM, and could employ a maximum of 8 gigabytes (GB) of RAM. The dual-processor model came with an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card with a Radeon 9800 as an option. The physical case of the Power Mac G5 was very different and unusual compared to any other computer at that time. Many potential buyers, though, were surprised to find that the attractive case, while somewhat larger than the G4 tower it replaced, had room inside for only one optical, and two hard drives.

Ummm 500 for this?

No way you can get top of the line g5 for about 200. The first year Mac pros go for 500+ though because they still compatible with newer oses.

Quote Originally Posted by drdoom View Post
    The Power Mac G5 was introduced with three models, sharing the same physical case, but differing in features and performance. The 1.6 GHz model shipped with 256 megabytes (MB) of RAM, an 80 GB hard drive, and could hold a maximum of 4 GB of RAM, and an nVidia GeForce 5200 graphics card with 64 MB VRAM with one ADC output and one DVI output. The 1.8 and dual-processor and 2.0 GHz models shipped with 512 MB of RAM, and could employ a maximum of 8 gigabytes (GB) of RAM. The dual-processor model came with an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card with a Radeon 9800 as an option. The physical case of the Power Mac G5 was very different and unusual compared to any other computer at that time. Many potential buyers, though, were surprised to find that the attractive case, while somewhat larger than the G4 tower it replaced, had room inside for only one optical, and two hard drives.

Ummm 500 for this?
    At least $500.

Apple doesn't care about lower price points. They are about obscene profit margins. That's why they are sitting on $100B cash while other PC manufacturers struggle to survive.

The market is coming to Apple's price points, not the other way around. Mac sales continue to increase year-on-year and they are amongst the very few PC manufacturers posting sales gains.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDigital View Post
    Apple doesn't care about lower price points. They are about obscene profit margins. That's why they are sitting on $100B cash while other PC manufacturers struggle to survive.

The market is coming to Apple's price points, not the other way around. Mac sales continue to increase year-on-year and they are amongst the very few PC manufacturers posting sales gains.
    Yes, but it is time to cash in on the name they have been building for themselves over the last 15 years. Think of it this way, Dell, HP, and others fight each other for the low end price point (400-700.) If Apple struts in with a decent quality laptop with some of the high end features nipped off like the aluminum chassis, high end display, etc, then they could still make the same profit at a lower price point of 599-699. That leaves no room at all for the other guys. I mean, who would buy a dell when you can get an apple for around the same price?

They would fly off the shelves. I think apple may be quite different in the coming years with Steve gone, RIP. I think he really pushed for the actual high end position and quality of Apple, but the new management may only push for the high end branding of Apple, which opens up new doors and endless money if done correctly.

Reef Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    Yes, but it is time to cash in on the name they have been building for themselves over the last 15 years. Think of it this way, Dell, HP, and others fight each other for the low end price point (400-700.) If Apple struts in with a decent quality laptop with some of the high end features nipped off like the aluminum chassis, high end display, etc, then they could still make the same profit at a lower price point of 599-699. That leaves no room at all for the other guys. I mean, who would buy a dell when you can get an apple for around the same price?

They would fly off the shelves. I think apple may be quite different in the coming years with Steve gone, RIP. I think he really pushed for the actual high end position and quality of Apple, but the new management may only push for the high end branding of Apple, which opens up new doors and endless money if done correctly.
    People have been saying this for over a decade now, and Apple have been smart to not do it. As soon as they cash in on the name by releasing a cheap crappy product, people will know. That's why Dell and HP's reputations are where they are.
    Apple doesn't make computers for everyone, but in a market of this size you don't need to serve everyone to make a profit.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Mac take over 25% of the US market share within 2 years. People don't give a crap about PCs anymore and iDevices are pushing more and more people into the Mac ecosystem.

Then again if Mountain Lion is any indication, OSX/iOS convergence is only about 2 releases away. Maybe 3 years?
    IMO it's never going to happen. The difference between touch input and non-touch input is just too important, no matter how good the trackpad gesture stuff gets. What will happen is exactly what Steve said (I think it was at the D interview with Bill Gates), iOS will be the car and MacOS will be the truck.

RE: video editing - a lot of the video people I know who currently use Mac Pros can't wait to ditch them for iMacs and MacBook Pros with external screens. I don't know enough about Thunderbolt to judge if it could be used to juggle a bunch of 5K raw video files from RED cameras in Final Cut Pro, but if it can and an external render box thing gets released you can be sure that the Mac Pro's days will be numbered.
    Last edited by Steven P Jobs; 02-26-2012 at 06:05 PM.

I could see them getting rid of the Mac Pro and just releasing a flat slab of aluminum that looks something like a 1U rack with two Thunderbolt ports, a power button and an optional 1U mounting kit (for $199 of course).

It wouldn't surprise me to see Mac take over 25% of the US market share within 2 years. People don't give a crap about PCs anymore and iDevices are pushing more and more people into the Mac ecosystem.

Then again if Mountain Lion is any indication, OSX/iOS convergence is only about 2 releases away. Maybe 3 years?
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

Probably has more to do with high I/O, larger capacity storage than anything else.

I could totally see that in 3 years. Plug your iPhone into power nearby the monitor. Works with the BT keyboard and trackpad. Works with the display wirelessly or via Thunderbolt. Runs desktop apps.

If the next iPad is really able to run applications at 2048x1536 it will be pretty incredible.

ARM processors are quickly approaching the computing power necessary for normal desktop operation. This is why MS is going quickly to ARM support with Windows 8. The tower will be pretty much dead in 3 years (it is arguably already dead except for enthusiasts and schools/businesses.) Graphics cards can be linked through a thunderbolt equivalent for gaming.

It will be sad to see the tower go eventually, but there are plenty of other things to tinker with for the enthusiasts (like raspberry pi.)
    Last edited by Timman_24; 02-26-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Great White Shark
    Actually Dell and HP high tier workstations and low tier PC's sell better than any Apple products because of better functionality and bang for the buck.

I've consulted at engineering companies that threw out Apple in favor of Dell's running BSD Unix. Apple's OS is BSD under the covers. There is nothing very special about it other than a few proprietary enhancements.