When I say singularity, I mean, a point where something will radically shift, and things won't be the same anymore.

As standard (and not-so-standard) lithography approaches single digits, something will soon have to change. Our currently generation of lithography is at 22nm. Next generation is 18nm, followed by either 13nm or 11nm. After that the future is murky because you start to have a huge problem with electron tunneling. The gaps become so small they are no longer sufficient to act as a proper transistor.

Time and again, people far smarter than me in both applied sciences and materials science have solved the problem in some way. But they are just prolonging the inevitable it seems. What can come next? Photonic computing? Quantum computing? Neither seems to be in a take-over position in the next 4 years or so.

Then there are other technologies: hard drives (for mass-nearline/offline storage), tape drives, batteries.

Batteries in particular are just odd. I have seen over the last 5 years roughly half a dozen new and easily commercialized solutions to radically increase battery life. Silicon nanowire based anodes, carbon nanotube solutions, etc. etc, etc. (I can find specific examples if you wish.)

As we fight the constant struggle with packing more technology into less space; doing more with less energy, storing more energy so we can do things longer, what's next?

I'd like to hear some feedback from my fellow sharks on anything they've heard about that they think could bring about the next radical shift in technology and the way we think about and use it.