Apple kills it with new iPad lineup - Page 3

Sharky Forums

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple kills it with new iPad lineup

Quote Originally Posted by MrDigital View Post
    I still think about people talking on here about how the iPad was going to be an abstract failure every time I see sales numbers... anyways I'm getting a "new iPad". WiFi only version. While I think LTE is sweet I never go anywhere I would need cellular on my ipad, and besides my iphone can create a wireless network if I needed to get online anyways.
    Before the first iPad came out, I was predicting that it would have no 3G, because they would actually want you to tether it to your iPhone (i.e. wifi-only unless you also own an iPhone).

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Meat
    I bought a bluetooth keyboard for it which made a big difference for when im using it on forums and such...
    I agree that typing on a tablet (I only have a kindle fire) isn't so fun, but I still feel like once you get down to using a tablet with a keyboard, you might as well just pull out the laptop/netbook.
    Last edited by linoleum; 03-12-2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: and of course by "want you to tether" I mean some proprietary iPhone-only type of tethering

To be fair, I'm considering buying one of these:
    http://clamcase.com/bluetooth-ipad-keyboard-case.html

And getting rid of my laptop. I don't really do tech support anymore and when I do there are remote desktop apps for the iPad. With 2048 resolution it's almost double my current laptop and I can't think of a whole lot of reasons why I need a Windows laptop anymore.

Yes, there are a myriad of limitations but I'm not sure that what I'll need it for -- school work -- will suffer. Really the breaking point will come if MS releases Office for iPad, because then I'll have everything I need. With Office and a hard keyboard I would consider the iPad a full fledged laptop killer.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

im honestly waiting to see how the windows8 tablets will be..

the screen on the ipad3 is pure sex but i always felt that iOS was lacking as a tablet OS.. rows of icons looks better on a small phone screen and i feel the larger tablet screen should have better notifications and widget support like android. windows8 seems to be the real innovation pusher in the tablet territory.. so with good hardware to match, i think it can do well

w8 preview: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...nsumer-preview
    anandtech analysis: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5630/i...nsumer-preview

to me, the live tiles (w8) are much more intuitive and useful than static icons (iOS):
    Last edited by kpxgq; 03-12-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

Yeah the icon spacing on the ipad looks stupid compared to the iphone. iOS app support is the real killer though. I don't think a Windows tablet will be worth buying for at least 3 years after release, to let the app support catch up.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

If VNC is usable on the new iPad I don't really care. I can just use desktop apps.

It will be interesting to see if it's possible to really run an VNC desktop at 1600x1200, and if that's actually usable on such a small screen…and if the iPad doesn't overheat and explode. Even 1440x1080 would be enough resolution for me.

I still don't quite believe 2048x1536 is possible. One of those see it to believe it things. The last time I saw that resolution was on my old 22" ViewSonic P225f. I thought things looked small on a 22". What the hell is a desktop app going to look like on a 10" screen?

Quote Originally Posted by linoleum View Post
    Before the first iPad came out, I was predicting that it would have no 3G, because they would actually want you to tether it to your iPhone (i.e. wifi-only unless you also own an iPhone).

I agree that typing on a tablet (I only have a kindle fire) isn't so fun, but I still feel like once you get down to using a tablet with a keyboard, you might as well just pull out the laptop/netbook.
    haha, yes and no. The cool thing about tablets w/bluetooth keyboard or a docking station is that its like a notebook or laptop but you can take away the keyboard in .5 seconds and just use the tablet as intended for whatever litte things your doing. its much much more versatile. And I doubt anyone gets 15 hours of battery life on their laptop. My tablet can go for 2 days if I use it semi lightly. It can be a e-reader for hours and hours. It almost no heat and 0 sound.

Its just about weighing the pros and cons.

@James
    Yeah I know right. Testout is used for more than just linux though. Its used for a bunch of different courses but we happen to be using it for Linux. Still sucks I cant use it on my tablet.
    There was supposed to be some plugin coming to android and iOS platforms called moonlight or something but I dont know what happened to it.
    Steam- DerSchniffles
    Gigabyte z77-UD3H
    Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.5
    8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600
    Sony AVR with 5.1/Asus Xonar DG
    EVGA GTX760 @ 1241/7000
    60 gig OS and 240 gig Game SSD's
    55" Vizio Tv/32" Vizio
    Logitech G700s Mouse and K520 Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Meat View Post
    haha, yes and no. The cool thing about tablets w/bluetooth keyboard or a docking station is that its like a notebook or laptop but you can take away the keyboard in .5 seconds and just use the tablet as intended for whatever litte things your doing. its much much more versatile. And I doubt anyone gets 15 hours of battery life on their laptop. My tablet can go for 2 days if I use it semi lightly. It can be a e-reader for hours and hours. It almost no heat and 0 sound.
    it sounds like the asus padphone is up your alley... the problem with things like this are if the connections are proprietary and require you to upgrade the entire package at once.. and theres that whole argument about the dedicated tools being better than a swiss army knife

Quote Originally Posted by MrDigital View Post
    Yeah the icon spacing on the ipad looks stupid compared to the iphone. iOS app support is the real killer though. I don't think a Windows tablet will be worth buying for at least 3 years after release, to let the app support catch up.
    yeah, just look at the HP Touchpad... Palm OS was arguably a superior tablet OS at the time (compared to iOS and android)... and lack of apps pretty much killed it before it came out. microsoft does have the advantage of being a software giant and also seeing/learning from Palm and RIM's mistakes... they will have to do better than apple's current 30/70% apple/dev profit sharing. they also have to walk that thin line between apple's walled garden market and android anarchy store.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post

I still don't quite believe 2048x1536 is possible. One of those see it to believe it things. The last time I saw that resolution was on my old 22" ViewSonic P225f. I thought things looked small on a 22". What the hell is a desktop app going to look like on a 10" screen?

i had 1920x1200 on my 7+ year old Dell laptop (15") and it was amazing, im so sad that modern laptop displays actually regressed from that. and to be fair your old viewsonic was probably displaying windows98/2000 which had horrible dpi and scaling support. windows7 and OSX Lion both have great resolution agnostic support. you can have the same screen real estate as before but only sharper text and graphics.
    Last edited by kpxgq; 03-12-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

One of the big things missing from Windows 8 is a lack of good reference apps.

Apple did a good job creating both apps and documentation that really supported how you might use the UI. Microsoft doesn't really have anything like this that I know of. The HIG that Apple puts out limit creativity in a sense, but also give people some kind of roadmap for user experience. One of the biggest problems with Windows is that most applications are created completely by engineers, and they don't always the best UI decisions.

Android is an even worse offender. All the apps are made by Java engineers, and the consistency between apps is basically zero.
    Last edited by ImaNihilist; 03-12-2012 at 06:25 PM.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kpxgq View Post
    ...they will have to do better than apple's current 30/70% apple/dev profit sharing. they also have to walk that thin line between apple's walled garden market and android anarchy store.
    I'm not so sure MS is going to walk a line between them. I think they will be going fully apple, with the walled garden. The reason I say this is because Windows 8's UAC does not apply to apps, which suggests MS will be strictly controlling the app marketplace.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    On the fence with IPad3 with Win8 around the corner. I like that Windows is moving to one software platform for everything which is something I think Apple should have done a while ago.

My biggest issue with iOS, is that it's a fantastic entertainment device but its lack of office prevents it from being a real laptop replacement. An ipad office app is in the works, but my guess is it'll be severely limited to make it a work alternative.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    On the fence with IPad3 with Win8 around the corner. I like that Windows is moving to one software platform for everything which is something I think Apple should have done a while ago.

My biggest issue with iOS, is that it's a fantastic entertainment device but its lack of office prevents it from being a real laptop replacement. An ipad office app is in the works, but my guess is it'll be severely limited to make it a work alternative.
    IMO, MS will likely gimp the iPad version as to not take work-based market share away from the potential sales of Win 8 based tablets. This is a different case than with Mac vs PC. Supplying Office to Mac users doesn't really cut into the PC market. However, tablet productivity will be a key factor in determining the acceptance of tablets in the business sector.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

When people say "office apps" what they really mean is Excel, Visio and Sharepoint—but mostly Excel. Reality is, working on a spreadsheet at 1024x768 is like working with Excel 95 with a 15" monitor. Even on tablets with 720p-ish resolutions is still kind of hard with all the UI elements and the onscreen keyboard.

I'll reserve judgement until I see how Google Docs works at 2048x1536 with a BT keyboard.
    Last edited by ImaNihilist; 03-13-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    IMO, MS will likely gimp the iPad version as to not take work-based market share away from the potential sales of Win 8 based tablets. This is a different case than with Mac vs PC. Supplying Office to Mac users doesn't really cut into the PC market. However, tablet productivity will be a key factor in determining the acceptance of tablets in the business sector.
    I agree. More and more people are looking to tablets as possible laptop replacements. IMHO, if the ipad could handle a full featured version of Office, you would see a large decline in laptop sales (especially netbook) over the next few years. Even more so if devices like the Asus Transformer Prime become popular and users have the option of a fully integrated OEM supplied keyboard/extended battery pack option.
    Last edited by taggart6; 03-13-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    When people say "office apps" what they really mean is Excel, Visio and Sharepoint—but mostly Excel. Reality is, working on a spreadsheet at 1024x768 is like working with Excel 95 with a 15" monitor. Even on tablets with 720p-ish resolutions is still kind of hard with all the UI elements and the onscreen keyboard.

I'll reserve judgement until I see how Google Docs works at 2048x1536.
    I disagree. Office apps will vary greatly with the office in question. My key "office apps" are excel, Power Point, Project, Word, Visio, Outlook, and Access.

My wife's key "office apps" are Word, Powerpoint, and Excel.

The only app I see being a potential issue is Excel, but for long excel session I would use a monitor with a larger screen size. It should be fine with tablet for some general stuff as long as the dynamic zooming is well implemented.
    Last edited by taggart6; 03-13-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    I disagree. Office apps will vary greatly with the office in question. My key "office apps" are excel, Power Point, Project, Word, Visio, Outlook, and Access.

My wife's key "office apps" are Word, Powerpoint, and Excel.
    Wow. That's rough. I'm looking for that GIF where the guy takes a hammer to his computer, then lights it on fire, then shoots himself in the head—but I can't find it.