Kickstarter Game Thread

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kickstarter Game Thread

Hybrid View

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar

Kickstarter Game Thread

With the recent succes of Doublefine Adventures and Wasteland 2, I figured it would be nice to have a dedicated thread for posting awesome game finds on kickstarter. Even if you choose not to donate, its atleast a neat way to see what indie things are out there.

Saw this game which looks pretty novel. A game for smart phone where you actually use real-world jogging to progress through a zombie apocalypse based game.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...r?ref=category
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie View Post
    I ended up backing this one last night after playing the demo. Game is pretty awesome.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ter-than-light
    The models look like that space fighter board game I linked in the other thread. I thought I'd post this here since Taggart was so nice to create a new thread just for these cool gaming projects

Two board game projects I'll probably end up backing:

Zpocalypse...zombie horde game
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-game?ref=live

Gunship: First Strike!...multiplayer space combat game
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...p-first-strike
    Last edited by Astros Fan; 03-15-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    Xbox gamertag: oWastelander
    Laptop: ASUS ROG Strix G15 AMD Advantage Ryzen 9 5980HX Radeon RX6800M
    ASUS 27 QHD 2K External Display
    Xbox Series X

Quote Originally Posted by Astros Fan View Post
    The models look like that space fighter board game I linked in the other thread. I thought I'd post this here since Taggart was so nice to create a new thread just for these cool gaming projects

Two board game projects I'll probably end up backing:

Zpocalypse...zombie horde game
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-game?ref=live

Gunship: First Strike!...multiplayer space combat game
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...p-first-strike
    Zpocalypse sounds pretty neat. I'm thinking baout going in for the $75 copy. I figure it will be that much at launch for the core game consider it comes with actual miniatures.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Insert ancient Sharky sig here
    [
    Prince Vindir of the OC Crusaders
    Holding Boundaries and Breaking Barriers

]

Hammerhead Shark innocentbastard's Avatar
    There is a good read about kickstarter if I can dig it up. In essence it pointed out to be wary since essentially they aren't required to ever deliver the product, and to get your money back can be a real chore.

It is just the usual buyer beware...lessons for kickstarter creators
    Currently Playing:
    PC: BFBC2, MOH, COD: Black Ops
    360: nothing

BFBC2=Brennok
    Steam=Brennok
    Xbox 360=Nobrumski
    Gamespy=Nobrumski

Quote Originally Posted by innocentbastard View Post
    There is a good read about kickstarter if I can dig it up. In essence it pointed out to be wary since essentially they aren't required to ever deliver the product, and to get your money back can be a real chore.

It is just the usual buyer beware...lessons for kickstarter creators
    Kickstarter will die because most people don't understand what Kickstarter is. People get pissed when the creator doesn't deliver, but fail to realize exactly what you pointed out—you aren't buying anything when you fund a Kickstart project. You are basically an investor with no upside other than some swag or a free product, should it ever be produced.

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    Kickstarter will die because most people don't understand what Kickstarter is. People get pissed when the creator doesn't deliver, but fail to realize exactly what you pointed out—you aren't buying anything when you fund a Kickstart project. You are basically an investor with no upside other than some swag or a free product, should it ever be produced.
    Which is why I am not giving freely. I gave some money to Double Fine because I love what they do and what they stand for. I also believe they will totally deliver. However, throwing money into random indie stuff is disappointment waiting to happen. I think it is crazy that people give 1000's of dollars!

I think a few months from now we will start seeing some of these projects die without any refund, then people will be a bit more cautious.
    Last edited by Timman_24; 03-15-2012 at 07:47 PM.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

It's already happening and the "funders" are getting super pissed off and harassing the people who created the projects, demanding refunds.

Kickstarter is going to die a horrible PR death.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    It's already happening and the "funders" are getting super pissed off and harassing the people who created the projects, demanding refunds.

Kickstarter is going to die a horrible PR death.
    I meant games specifically. It seems kickstarter has been hailed as the saivor of indie games (like they needed a savior) by the gaming media. However, in a few months the gaming media will have to report the numerous failed projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    I meant games specifically. It seems kickstarter has been hailed as the saivor of indie games (like they needed a savior) by the gaming media. However, in a few months the gaming media will have to report the numerous failed projects.
    Yeah. At least Double Fine is filming it. Even if it bombs you'll get some lulz.

Great White Shark
    Adventure, Wasteland2, and Code Hero. Those are the ones I care about.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

With regards to games, I few kickstarter not so much different then a pre-order.

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    With regards to games, I few kickstarter not so much different then a pre-order.
    That's not a good way to look at it. A preorder can always be refunded in the gaming industry. Most preorders are given through the publisher or a 3rd party store to secure your order on launch day, not to fund the project.

They should be viewed separately, otherwise you could be put into bad situations.

Preorder: Upfront payment to secure a launch day copy.
    Kickstarter: Investment in a project that may or may not result in a finished product months or years down the road.

With a preorder there is no question about obtaining a copy or getting a refund. A Kickstarter is an investment (not a promise or guarantee) that may or may not come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    That's not a good way to look at it. A preorder can always be refunded in the gaming industry. Most preorders are given through the publisher or a 3rd party store to secure your order on launch day, not to fund the project.

They should be viewed separately, otherwise you could be put into bad situations.

Preorder: Upfront payment to secure a launch day copy.
    Kickstarter: Investment in a project that may or may not result in a finished product months or years down the road.

With a preorder there is no question about obtaining a copy or getting a refund. A Kickstarter is an investment (not a promise or guarantee) that may or may not come to fruition.
    A preorder doesn't say you will get a game or that the game will be good. It merely reserves a copy of a game you hope will be good and at the least expect completed. If i pre-order a game for a dev that goes under I figure I'll have just as much a problem getting my money back as kickstarter.

that said, I have no doubt that kickstarter games will be produced. the only issue will be how crappy the game is. But hey, that's part of thr risk.

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    A preorder doesn't say you will get a game or that the game will be good. It merely reserves a copy of a game you hope will be good and at the least expect completed. If i pre-order a game for a dev that goes under I figure I'll have just as much a problem getting my money back as kickstarter.

that said, I have no doubt that kickstarter games will be produced. the only issue will be how crappy the game is. But hey, that's part of thr risk.
    If you preorder a game and the publisher goes under, then it doesn't matter since the preorder is not through the publisher (except on Origin or something.) I've never heard of someone not getting their game or a preorder refund when a preorder goes awry. Ima has said there have been numerous failed projects on kickstarter though, so it does happen. I can't say anything to your trust in the kickstarter program, that is something each person will need to decide for themselves.

A preorder is an agreement to secure delivery, if it isn't fulfilled the company is required to refund the money. Kickstarter is an investment with no guarantee of product delivery. I think that is an important distinction.

FWIW, here are some excerpts from the TOS:

Company shall not be liable for any failure to perform its obligations hereunder where such failure results from any cause beyond Company’s reasonable control
    Company may terminate your access to all or any part of the Service at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately, which may result in the forfeiture and destruction of all information associated with your membership. If you wish to terminate your account, you may do so by following the instructions on the Site. Any fees paid hereunder are non-refundable.
    I'm not saying anyone will get screwed, just to be informed about what could possibly happen in the future.