An interesting link on Apple/Linux

Sharky Forums

Thread: An interesting link on Apple/Linux

Mako Shark

An interesting link on Apple/Linux

Apparently, Torvalds received a personal job offer from Steve Jobs more than a decade ago. He was offered to work on Unix for MacOS, but the offer came with the condition that he would have to drop all work on Linux.
    That doesnt surprise me at all. Torvalds expertise would have been useful to Apple but Apple historically have a bad reputation as being complete and utter tools (best word that isnt a curse word) to work for. They may be better nowadays, but they came from an "80's" culture of buying and stripping away value from any company and treating their own employees like faecal matter trying their damnedest to drive them to the brink of insanity.

I guess Torvalds superior intelligence to Gates enabled him to see that even before working alongside or for Apple.
    Compaq A910em: T2330 dual core 1.6Ghz, X3100 384MB GPU, 160GB sata HDD, 2GB RAM
    Gaming rig: Asus Striker II, Coolermaster GX 750w, E4600 @ 2.4Ghz, 2.5GB RAM, Zerotherm FZ 120, 9500GT 1GB
    Server: Mac mini running W23k Server - 1.8Ghz dual-core, 1GB RAM, 1x80GB, 2x500GB externals + LTO1 tape backup

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders

Mako Shark
    Clearly the whole reason for the job offer was an attempt to kill off Linux. That was 2000 and Apple was still trying to expand their share of the OS market. It didn't help Apple to have another OS that ran on their competitors computer. Could you run Linux on an Apple? It would have made no sense for him to go from work on OS that had 70% of the market to on with less than 5. The vast majority might have been on the server side but that doesn't make any difference except for presence in the public's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by drdoom View Post
    Clearly the whole reason for the job offer was an attempt to kill off Linux. That was 2000 and Apple was still trying to expand their share of the OS market. It didn't help Apple to have another OS that ran on their competitors computer. Could you run Linux on an Apple? It would have made no sense for him to go from work on OS that had 70% of the market to on with less than 5. The vast majority might have been on the server side but that doesn't make any difference except for presence in the public's eye.
    How do you read an article like that and come to the conclusion that, "Clearly the whole reason for the job offer was an attempt to kill of Linux"? There is nothing "clear" about that line of reasoning.

Linus spent the last few years building Linux, and Apple was getting ready to OS X. OS X was based on NeXTSTEP, which borrowed all it's non-UI code from FreeBSD and NetBSD. It was kind of clear that Steve Jobs had a good understanding of how Linux/UNIX could be used if paired with an appropriate UI, but Apple really needed someone to maintain the core OS code, and they didn't have anyone. It took years before they did find the right people. The basic UNIX components of OS X lagged in every release right up until Tiger/Leopard.

I highly doubt Steve Jobs ever thought about "killing" Linux. He just wanted someone who really knew what they were doing to maintain their own core components.

At the end of the day, OS X is just UNIX with a fancy UI with a small set of maintained drivers. Very small, considering Apple drops support for hardware after like 4 years.
    Last edited by ImaNihilist; 03-24-2012 at 03:44 PM.

i really do admire the perseverance of people like linus torvalds and even mark zuckerberg (although i do think he is a tool)... they stick to their guns even when faced with a seemingly obvious choice to jump ship or sell out
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

Mako Shark
    [QUOTE=ImaNihilist;2762417]How do you read an article like that and come to the conclusion that, "Clearly the whole reason for the job offer was an attempt to kill of Linux"? There is nothing "clear" about that line of reasoning.

What other reason would there be for him to make part of the deal to stop work on his life's passion? I'm guessing if his life's passion was pottery he would not have been prohibited from doing that in his off hours. It could have been just the control freak part of Steve Jobs but the result would have been the same. My knowledge of computers is far less than most people here but I do know human behavior quite well. I thought the link was interesting for that reason. There is nothing note worthy about Steve Jobs offering a job to a talented guy. It's just which talented guy he picked.
    Last edited by drdoom; 03-25-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Reef Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by drdoom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    How do you read an article like that and come to the conclusion that, "Clearly the whole reason for the job offer was an attempt to kill of Linux"? There is nothing "clear" about that line of reasoning.
    What other reason would there be for him to make part of the deal to stop work on his life's passion? I'm guessing if his life's passion was pottery he would not have been prohibited from doing that in his off hours. It could have been just the control freak part of Steve Jobs but the result would have been the same. My knowledge of computers is far less than most people here but I do know human behavior quite well. I thought the link was interesting for that reason. There is nothing note worthy about Steve Jobs offering a job to a talented guy. It's just which talented guy he picked.
    because it's a blatant conflict of interests? and because maintaining the code base of two operating systems, one of which is licensed under the GPL and the other of which is completely proprietary, comes with all kinds of issues.

if apple wanted to "try killing linux", they chose just about the dumbest approach. making a job offer to linus and making it very clear what his responsibilities would be is hardly a shady move. plus, it's not like linux was ever a competitive OS in the consumer market.