Which OS for this system?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Which OS for this system?

Which OS for this system?

Hey all,

A bit of a question. At the moment, I have several databases on my server as well as other things.

The problem is, if I want to dump some files back on the server, update a customer record or alter stock in my supplies, I have to start up a computer and everything which is a pain and it results in things not getting updated properly or as often as it should.

So what I want is a small PC, very low in power, connected to the main TV in the house with a wireless keyboard and a barcode scanner that I have hooked up.

Then all I have to do when I come in is pop the TV on, which usually does get turned on at some point, scan a barcode if Im taking something out of my supply cupboard or update something quickly or dump a file on there to then organise later.

So as for hardware, I was thinking of a Raspberry. However the problem is, my databases are mdb's (MS Access). So since it ships with linux, I need a good free alternative to MS Access for linux. If that doesnt exist, I believe windows CE will work on the system? If so, does it just use win2k/xp drivers or a completely different type of drivers for hardware? I presume MS Access works on windows CE?
    Compaq A910em: T2330 dual core 1.6Ghz, X3100 384MB GPU, 160GB sata HDD, 2GB RAM
    Gaming rig: Asus Striker II, Coolermaster GX 750w, E4600 @ 2.4Ghz, 2.5GB RAM, Zerotherm FZ 120, 9500GT 1GB
    Server: Mac mini running W23k Server - 1.8Ghz dual-core, 1GB RAM, 1x80GB, 2x500GB externals + LTO1 tape backup

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by wh666-666 View Post
    Hey all,

A bit of a question. At the moment, I have several databases on my server as well as other things.

The problem is, if I want to dump some files back on the server, update a customer record or alter stock in my supplies, I have to start up a computer and everything which is a pain and it results in things not getting updated properly or as often as it should.

So what I want is a small PC, very low in power, connected to the main TV in the house with a wireless keyboard and a barcode scanner that I have hooked up.

Then all I have to do when I come in is pop the TV on, which usually does get turned on at some point, scan a barcode if Im taking something out of my supply cupboard or update something quickly or dump a file on there to then organise later.

So as for hardware, I was thinking of a Raspberry. However the problem is, my databases are mdb's (MS Access). So since it ships with linux, I need a good free alternative to MS Access for linux. If that doesnt exist, I believe windows CE will work on the system? If so, does it just use win2k/xp drivers or a completely different type of drivers for hardware? I presume MS Access works on windows CE?
    WindowsCE/Embedded both use completely distinct drivers vs. XP/2K since it is designed to run on ARM, not x86.

How low power are you trying to go? Would a board with a single core Atom or AMD APU work out in your power-envelope?

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Essential requirements:
    - Has to be completely fanless
    - As small as possible (needs to fit in a crowded area around digi-boxs or even behind a TV mount)
    - Has to be able to run and edit *.mdb's
    - Needs one rj45 jack and display output and two usb
    - Has to be able to cope with being on 24/7/365
    - If a suggestion that isnt a conventional PC is made, I need the device to stay connected to a home network (over rj45 would be more secure) and be able somehow to be readily available/always booted for instant access

Desirable requirements:

- Very low powered, as much as possible considering constant standby and utilisation
    - As cheap as possible (I have considered a tablet, but too pricey)

That is about it really. I did initially look at itx atom boards but they were more expensive and bigger.
    Compaq A910em: T2330 dual core 1.6Ghz, X3100 384MB GPU, 160GB sata HDD, 2GB RAM
    Gaming rig: Asus Striker II, Coolermaster GX 750w, E4600 @ 2.4Ghz, 2.5GB RAM, Zerotherm FZ 120, 9500GT 1GB
    Server: Mac mini running W23k Server - 1.8Ghz dual-core, 1GB RAM, 1x80GB, 2x500GB externals + LTO1 tape backup

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders

Great White Shark
    picoATX, nanoITX, mini-ITX, etc. would all be viable for that.

An Atom solution could easily be fanless and would provide more power than you need. When in a sleep state, it draws maybe 1-3w total for the system (assuming solid state storage locally).

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/epia_p720_10 <- Seems like an ideal solution.
    Last edited by James; 03-23-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64