I recently picked up an open box 120hz monitor from newegg for half off. It is an Acer HN274H, which has a street price of around 699. It is 27", 120hz, 3xhdmi, 1 dual link DVI, embedded IR emitter, and comes with a pair of nvidia 3D vision glasses. To be honest, I was only interested in the 120hz feature, not the 3D. I didn't even know it came with glasses until after I got my order in (gotta be quick on newegg open box.)

I had heard a lot about 120hz monitors from people on forums (such as me to you now lol) and everyone that had experienced one really enjoyed it. Some even went as far as saying it was a step forward as large as adding an SSD.

I tend to agree now that I've got one. The smoothness is something that is hard to describe. Moving windows around, the cursor, and scrolling all are much more natural. Things blurred together and trailed around the screen on my 60hz monitors, but this one is crisp and clear.

Gaming is a lot different as well. There is really no need for vsync anymore and the problems that are related to vsync such as stuttering are gone. Physically watching games at 100+fps is something to behold. Normal screens can only show up to 60fps and beyond that, they mix frames which causes the tearing. Games look incredibly fluid and are highly responsive at 120..

I tried out the 3D vision and thought it was very novel. I doubt I will use it much. The monitor works with 3D movies through the PS3 as well, so I may try that out. I'm not a big fan of 3D, but I am a fan of novelty so it was a nice bonus feature.

Lastly, I was very hesitant about going in on a TN panel, but for gaming, which is the primary use for this monitor, it is absolutely perfect. I was also very surprised by the color range of the newer, higher end TN panels. This thing is surprisingly rich, like my IPS panel. It also doesn't have the horrible blue shift like most LED back lights and works well for people that like a warmer color range. The poor vertical gamma shift is still present, but not noticeable in normal use.

Overall, I am very impressed with the 120hz monitor and am very happy with the purchase. Now fps of 60 is not wasted and looks great. Hopefully the prices come down on these quickly so people can finally enjoy the sharpness of a LCD with the refresh rate of a CRT.

Anyone else try one out? What did you think?

PS Why are the gamma settings always horseshit out of the box? I had to do some major adjusting in nvidia control panel to get the gamma correct. It looks stunning now, but out of the box it looked washed out bad. I've never had a panel look good out of the box except my old dell IPS.