Raising the dead. We have the technology. Found a 13 year old Corps DNA

Sharky Forums

Thread: Raising the dead. We have the technology. Found a 13 year old Corps DNA

Raising the dead. We have the technology. Found a 13 year old Corps DNA

ok I was looking over some old OLD disc and I found a Symantec Ghost backup of my old network BBS system that I deactivated back in 1999 (two system running a combined 6 nodes. via PCBOard 1.5 its is DOS based but the system is Win95). At the time it was costing $200 in dial up lines and not generating any money asside from getting free stuff so I have to take it offline

I want to reactive it and have it up and running via telnet since it's totally free and faster.

after hours of fidding around I managed to restore it to two virtual machines. (vmware workstation 8)
    and it is working with all network paths and drivers.

Only problem is the VM have no modem to connect to the net.

Is there a software that can pipe incoming Telnet connections to a virtual/emulated modem/serial port. so I can map it to a com port on the virtual machine.

basically I want to set it up so people can telnet into the BBS system.

Thanks in advance for your help. you guys will be the first one to have access to it once it's up
    C2D Q6600 @ 3.2 ghz, Enermax Liberty 620watt PSU, Gigabyte GA-965PDS3 mobo, 4x2gb OCZ DDR2 800mhz, 2x OCZ vertex 60gb Raid0 + 1TB + 320gb HD, SB Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer, 16x DVDRW Liteon, Logitech Cordless MX3100 desktop w MX1000 mouse + G9 laser mouse, Logitech cordless rumblepad 2, Sennheiser HDR100 wireless headset, ATI Remote Wonder II, Logitech QuickCamPro 9000, Eyefinity Triple 24" Widescrn LCD + ATI 5870, Win 7 ultimate

cant you have it just share the host machines nic? Im not too familiar with vm workstation but i do use oracle virtual box and i just have it share my host computers network and it works fine. mabey im missing what your trying to do.
    Steam- DerSchniffles
    Gigabyte z77-UD3H
    Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.5
    8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600
    Sony AVR with 5.1/Asus Xonar DG
    EVGA GTX760 @ 1241/7000
    60 gig OS and 240 gig Game SSD's
    55" Vizio Tv/32" Vizio
    Logitech G700s Mouse and K520 Keyboard

I've only done the opposite, which is having a VM telnet out and have it converted to serial with a physical adapter for remote console access.

Have you looked at this to see if might work for you? Once you get it going on your host system, you should be able to map the com port to the VM.

http://www.elifulkerson.com/projects...ial-bridge.php

Quote Originally Posted by vertices View Post
    I've only done the opposite, which is having a VM telnet out and have it converted to serial with a physical adapter for remote console access.

Have you looked at this to see if might work for you? Once you get it going on your host system, you should be able to map the com port to the VM.

http://www.elifulkerson.com/projects...ial-bridge.php
    hmm. that sounds pretty compliactated.

I remember was some kinda telnet to com port /serial emulator fir win32 back in the day. best thing to do is to have it up and running within the VM so it can be portable and not tied to a setting on the host
    C2D Q6600 @ 3.2 ghz, Enermax Liberty 620watt PSU, Gigabyte GA-965PDS3 mobo, 4x2gb OCZ DDR2 800mhz, 2x OCZ vertex 60gb Raid0 + 1TB + 320gb HD, SB Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer, 16x DVDRW Liteon, Logitech Cordless MX3100 desktop w MX1000 mouse + G9 laser mouse, Logitech cordless rumblepad 2, Sennheiser HDR100 wireless headset, ATI Remote Wonder II, Logitech QuickCamPro 9000, Eyefinity Triple 24" Widescrn LCD + ATI 5870, Win 7 ultimate