Stupidest thing ever.

Sharky Forums

Thread: Stupidest thing ever.

Stupidest thing ever.

I've been a fan of Sins of a Solar Empire from the start, so I ended up downloading the Impulse game client. Impulse is sort of a Steam wannabe, that I've bought an occasional game from.

This last weekend the special on Impulse, which is now Gamestop, was Mass Effect 3, $49.99 - not a great price, but still less than the $60 it costs everywhere else. So I took the plunge. ME 3 is a huge game, about 11 gigs. The Impulse/Gamestop servers aren't real fast, either - took about 12 hours to download.

So I go to play the game, and box comes up with a product code and launches an install of Origin, yet another game client. So I let it install Origin, figuring I would get to play the game. But there were no games in the menu. So I found a "redeem code" menu item, put in the code and it took it, cool. Mass Effect 3 shows up on the menu with a status of "Ready to Download."

Well wait a minute, I just spent 12 hours downloading this, why won't it just install? So I figured I'd outsmart it, I took the Impulse download and moved it to the Origin folder, should be good, right?

Nope, still demanded that it was going to download. The good thing is that the Origin servers are vastly faster than the Impulse servers, and it "only" took about 2 1/2 hours to download. Still, this was the stupidest thing I've seen in a long time. If the Impulse download won't install, then don't make the user download it, just send them the code.

This will be the last game I buy from Impulse.
    RIG:
    XCLIO 2000 Black & Titanium Case
    KingWin Gold Certified 80+ 1000 Watt PS
    Asus P8Z77-V Premium Motherboard
    Intel Core I7 3770K @ 5.0 gHz
    Corsair CWCH70 Hydro Series H80 CPU Liquid Cooler
    CORSAIR Vengence 16GB
    PowerColor Radeon 7990 6GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 3 SSD
    1TB WD Black Edition SATA 3 + 3TB Seagate SATA 3
    Panasonic DVD
    Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit

Impulse was dead the moment Gamestop bought it from Stardock. I'm very grateful that Stardock has since embraced Steam and are now using it for the Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion beta.

i have a torrented ISO of all my games on an external HDD.. even though i own the games, its far easier and faster for me to just download the ripped ISO from some torrent site and install from a virtual disc... then i just type in my legit cdkey instead of using the crack and it works fine
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kpxgq View Post
    i have a torrented ISO of all my games on an external HDD.. even though i own the games, its far easier and faster for me to just download the ripped ISO from some torrent site and install from a virtual disc... then i just type in my legit cdkey instead of using the crack and it works fine
    I've done that before. It works great, but be sure to uncheck the crack before downloading so you aren't downloading and uploading the illegal part.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead