Finally have to get a smart phone

Sharky Forums

Thread: Finally have to get a smart phone

Hammerhead Shark

Finally have to get a smart phone

I am finding I need to check my email on the fly and send text messages faster for work and academics. I will have verizon wireless. What would people recommend?

MOBO: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    CPU: i7-2700K @3.5 ghz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    CPU COOLING:Corsair Hydro H80i
    VIDEO: MSI TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 OC N760 in SLI
    HDD: Intel 320-160GB SSD
    HDD: Samsung 840 250GB SSD
    MEDIA: Plextor Dual DVD
    PSU: CORSAIR HX750W
    CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower
    10 x64 Home Premium
    Monitor: AOC ,32" curved 1440p

If your work uses Exchange, get an iPhone.
    If your work doesn't use Exchange, get either a Galaxy Nexus or an iPhone.

The Lumia 900 is a pretty sweet phone, but honestly Exchange works better on iOS right now than it does on Windows Phone 7 from what I've seen.

Dare I to say, how about a BB 99XX, for email and messaging I still think the old BB's can't be beat.

I have a 9850, a far from perfect phone but I kinda like it.

The new browser has vastly improved and the phone will actually make it trough the day without attaching a charger to it.

That is the biggest reason why I still have a BB. I refuse to take a charger along.
    GA-MA790GPT-UD3H, AMD Phenom ll 955,
    Lian Li PC-60 PLUS, HD5850
    ----------------
    Resist the devil, and he will flee from you!

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

When thou seest an eagle, thou seest a portion of genius; lift up thy head!

2kr1b1r/Bpp3pp/1N2p1n1/4p1q1/4P3/2Q5/PPP2PPP/3R1RK1 b - - 6 15

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    The iPhone is a great size for portability, but the larger phones are much easier to type on. If you text a lot and email from the phone, I would look into a larger one.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    Dare I to say, how about a BB 99XX, for email and messaging I still think the old BB's can't be beat.

I have a 9850, a far from perfect phone but I kinda like it.

The new browser has vastly improved and the phone will actually make it trough the day without attaching a charger to it.

That is the biggest reason why I still have a BB. I refuse to take a charger along.
    As a BB fan and user to the bitter end, I can no longer recommend the BB. It's just fallen too far behind. True, battery life still regins supreme but the devices are just to slow. The new OS is just so bad it begs you not to use it.

I went iPhone » BB (Bold) » Nexus One (for like a week) » BB (upgraded the Bold three times) » iPhone 4S

There are times I miss my BB. Then I want to do something like get directions or open a PDF and I don't.
    Last edited by ImaNihilist; 03-22-2012 at 11:48 PM.

iPhone 4s or Galaxy Nexus. I'm a bit biased towards the iPhone because I've had every version since the first one. Let's just say that AT&T had a nice glitch in their system for corporate users that allowed me to buy a new one every year at the subsidized price. The ride is over though and will not be happening in the future.

As for the phones. I've heard great things about both devices and I would consider the Nexus if it was closer to 4.3". It's all about who's playground you want to play in, Apple or Google.
    Antec Three Hundred Two | Intel DP67BA | Intel 2600k | Corsair CWCH60 | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (PC3-12800) | PNY GTX 580 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | WD RE4 2TB (WD2002FYPS) | Asus Xonar DG Sound | LG Blu-Ray Burner | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Work:
    Macbook Pro 15" Retina Display | 8GB Ram | 256GB SSD | Mac OS 10.8

Reef Shark
    If you need the best possible GMail experience and are willing to make some other compromises for that, get an Android device. I can't agree with the Galaxy Nexus recommendations - its main advantage is that it supposedly gets the best updates and support, but the Nexus S/4G hasn't even received Ice Cream Sandwich months after its release so why should anyone trust google on this anymore? In addition, the GNex's camera is terrible, it has an unbelievably high hardware malfunction rate, and despite being 720p the screen is actually fairly bad (the year-old, lower-res screen on the Galaxy S2 is leaps and bounds better for example).
    My Advice for Android would be to wait for the new HTC One phones. HTC is a much less crappy vendor than Samsung, the current Android market leader.

If you want a budget Android device, I'd recommend you ensure it has at least the following specs:
    - 1GHz CPU
    - 512MB RAM
    - 800x480 screen (480x320 can make text hard to read)
    - Android 2.3 (4.0 is way better but phones with it are just now beginning to come out)
    - Decent battery life (read reviews for this - Android battery life ranges from abysmal (half a day with moderate use) to very good (two days))

If you don't want to bother with any of that, just get an iPhone. It works well and there aren't a million models to choose from. Some people have issues with a supposed lack of "freedom" on iPhones, but come on. It's a device for making calls and writing texts and emails and checking facebook and taking pictures of stuff.

If you really care about a hardware keyboard, get a BlackBerry. Every other hardware keyboard is garbage in comparison. The current Bold 9900/9930 is a great device despite being way behind iPhone/Android in some ways. However, if you depend on GMail the BlackBerry is garbage - they still haven't figured out 2-way sync. Really shameful for the company whose claim to fame is mobile email.

Also worth noting, if you get anything but an iPhone (their price is fixed, you're not going to get a bargain anywhere) make sure you shop around. For example the Verizon BlackBerry 9930 is $230 with a new contract through Verizon, and $60 on Amazon.
    Last edited by Steven P Jobs; 03-23-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven P Jobs View Post
    If you need the best possible GMail experience and are willing to make some other compromises for that, get an Android device. I can't agree with the Galaxy Nexus recommendations - its main advantage is that it supposedly gets the best updates and support, but the Nexus S/4G hasn't even received Ice Cream Sandwich months after its release so why should anyone trust google on this anymore? In addition, the GNex's camera is terrible, it has an unbelievably high hardware malfunction rate, and despite being 720p the screen is actually fairly bad (the year-old, lower-res screen on the Galaxy S2 is leaps and bounds better for example).
    My Advice for Android would be to wait for the new HTC One phones. HTC is a much less crappy vendor than Samsung, the current Android market leader.
    I disagree with the statement in bold. Sorry man but I switched back to iPhone because of how terrible the default email app is for Android. Both my company and my personal email are google apps accounts to boot...
    Last edited by Nabby; 03-23-2012 at 11:46 PM.
    Antec Three Hundred Two | Intel DP67BA | Intel 2600k | Corsair CWCH60 | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (PC3-12800) | PNY GTX 580 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | WD RE4 2TB (WD2002FYPS) | Asus Xonar DG Sound | LG Blu-Ray Burner | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Work:
    Macbook Pro 15" Retina Display | 8GB Ram | 256GB SSD | Mac OS 10.8

Hammerhead Shark
    well I host my own roundcube email. So I wouldn't be using gmail, ymail, etc. I WOULD like to check websites from time to time. But mainly to text people about meeting and stuff and access my roundcube email.

MOBO: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    CPU: i7-2700K @3.5 ghz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    CPU COOLING:Corsair Hydro H80i
    VIDEO: MSI TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 OC N760 in SLI
    HDD: Intel 320-160GB SSD
    HDD: Samsung 840 250GB SSD
    MEDIA: Plextor Dual DVD
    PSU: CORSAIR HX750W
    CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower
    10 x64 Home Premium
    Monitor: AOC ,32" curved 1440p

Reef Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabby View Post
    I disagree with the statement in bold. Sorry man but I switched back to iPhone because of how terrible the default email app is for Android. Both my company and my personal email are google apps accounts to boot...
    My main phone is an iPhone, but when I travel I use an old Samsung Galaxy S (unlocked and takes regular sim cards, thank god prepaid data is cheap in most European countries now) running ICS and I much prefer how Android handles GMail. It implements the ways in which GMail differs from standard IMAP (tags, priority inbox, etc) much better than the iPhone client. I don't like how Android puts a lot of stuff in menus that you just have to look through once, but it's not the biggest deal. I can see why others would prefer the iPhone version of GMail though.

That being said for almost every other thing I prefer my iPhone.

I've never used roundcube, but you should look into this: http://roundcubemobile.com/
    It runs on iPhone, Android and BlackBerry, and they have a demo that you can try before buying it.

With regards to texting without a hardware keyboard, I can text just as fast now on my iPhone and Galaxy S as I could back when I had a BlackBerry. It takes some time getting used to though, and some people are dead set on hardware keyboards, which I can understand. It's just that you have to give up a lot of other stuff to get that keyboard.
    Last edited by Steven P Jobs; 03-24-2012 at 05:59 AM.