Kindle Fire vs Samsung Tab 2

Sharky Forums

Thread: Kindle Fire vs Samsung Tab 2

Kindle Fire vs Samsung Tab 2

Looking to get the wife one or the other. She is not a techie and probably either one of these would suit her fine. I know pretty much the pros and cons and what each has to offer. Anyone have any experience with either? If so, how is it?

Reef Shark
    If she's not a techie get her an iPad. But I guess if you're dead set on getting her one of the above, go with the Samsung Tab.

Price vs use. She'll use it up to $250 dollars worth, but not $400 like the cheapest ipad. Otherwise, I would just go with an ipad.

Will her primary use be reading ebooks? Or does that include general surfing and such?
    If it's mainly for reading books, I say Kindle. If it is more than that, Tab 2

it really depends on if you want to pay an additional $50-80 for features such as camera, microSD slot, GPS, etc.... that is not on the kindle

ie if you want to use the tablet for skype and need expandable storage.... besides that, they are identical
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

Reef Shark
    The Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is more than $50 better in my opinion. But then again I honestly think that while Android phones are very competitive, Android tablets are not at all.

IMO the Kindle Fire is not worth it either way, you can get access to Kindle books on any device. And if the device is used primarily for reading, I'd recommend a basic $80 Kindle over any tablet. Reading on an LCD is nowhere near as pleasant as on e-ink.

Kindle's much better for the eye in terms of long-term reading... so it comes down to how important is reading a book ... vs the rest
    Last edited by proxops-pete; 05-10-2012 at 09:40 AM.

it really does depend on your personal needs:

i had a rooted nook color and i barely ever used it after the novelty of a tablet wore off. i also had an ipad1 for a time being but i was frustrated at needing to sync with my PC all the tome to get anything done on it.

my sister has a kindle fire and uses it religiously to read books... amazon also recently added the ability to "rent" books for free if you are a prime membership holder. i dont really read books, so that feature is worthless to me

i picked up a toshiba thrive recently and am loveing it... the full size USB port lets me plug in my USB hard drive, mouse, or even my xbox360 gamepad for more functionality. it also has a full size HDMI port so I use my tablet as a portable HTPC playing 720p mkv's to through my 50" plasma... stuff like that, you cant do with most other tablets on the market. on the flip side, my thrive is bulky and has average battery life (6hrs) so i am always having to charge it

my gf is thinking of picking up an ipd2 since she is on the iOS ecosystem and uses alot of their exclusive apps.

it really all depends on the person
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, zotac gtx 970, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

Reef Shark
    what did you need to sync your ipad with your pc for all the time? i havent connected mine once since i bought it. it can get apps photos and music on its own, and software updates are pushed over the air. i guess if you want to watch movies on it that arent from itunes you would have to connect it to a computer but i refuse to believe that anybody enjoys watching movies on a 10" 4:3 device.