I have an Ipad

Sharky Forums

Thread: I have an Ipad

Hybrid View

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar

I have an Ipad

Neat little device but I hate how locked down teh sucker is. So I need suggestions on how to open it up.

First off any recommendations on what program to use to transfer files from the Ipad to a PC? Itunes is still restrictive and I'm curious what other programs people use. I've heard goodreader is pretty decent or I could use a FTP program. My wife needs to be able to work it too, so maybe FTP is a bit over her head.

Any thoughts on jailbreaking? Is it worth doing?
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

There is an AirPlay app that will let you use it as a wireless external monitor.

File transfer is really only designed to happen over iCloud via app-to-app transfer (Mac to iCloud to iOS device). There is a way to transfer files manually via iTunes drag and drop, but don't know of any non-iTunes way to do it.

I've never thought of managing an iPad without a Mac. iTunes on Windows SUCKS.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    There is an AirPlay app that will let you use it as a wireless external monitor.

File transfer is really only designed to happen over iCloud via app-to-app transfer (Mac to iCloud to iOS device). There is a way to transfer files manually via iTunes drag and drop, but don't know of any non-iTunes way to do it.

I've never thought of managing an iPad without a Mac. iTunes on Windows SUCKS.

Itunes only allows Apple approved files to transmit. It doesn't allow files it doesn't recognize. You can email your files which is a stupid way IMHO.

Looking into an untethered jailbreak but I'm not sure it's really worth it.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    Itunes only allows Apple approved files to transmit. It doesn't allow files it doesn't recognize. You can email your files which is a stupid way IMHO.

Looking into an untethered jailbreak but I'm not sure it's really worth it.
    You can if the app supports it. Like this:

iOS has no global filesystem. The only files accessible globally are photos. Everything else exists in a folder within the app itself. Even if you could put files somewhere globally, there is no mechanism in which to call them.
    Last edited by ImaNihilist; 04-04-2012 at 05:59 PM.

There is no untethered jailbreak for the new ipad or iOS 5.1 afaik. You can use dropbox to easily move files to the iPad, but as to what to do them once they are on there you're on your own. The whole thing is a clusterfunk when it comes to file operations.

GoodReader is a fantastic app with built-in dropbox (and a lot of other stuff) support. I think even FTP, but can't vouch for how it works. The last I heard even the Air Force was using GoodReader for all of its content.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDigital View Post
    There is no untethered jailbreak for the new ipad or iOS 5.1 afaik. You can use dropbox to easily move files to the iPad, but as to what to do them once they are on there you're on your own. The whole thing is a clusterfunk when it comes to file operations.

GoodReader is a fantastic app with built-in dropbox (and a lot of other stuff) support. I think even FTP, but can't vouch for how it works. The last I heard even the Air Force was using GoodReader for all of its content.
    I heard alot of great things about goodread. I figure I'll grab it later today. I used dropbox via safari to move some files but its still a POS method.

The more I play with it the more I want to jailbreak the system. Considered the tethered jailbreak but I rather just wait for the untethered.

Definitely wait for the untethered. I didn't think I reboot my iOS devices nearly as much as I do until I used a tethered jailbreak and left my phone useless one day until I could get it back in front of a PC. Apps crashing or iMessage flaking out or who knows what reason a reboot is needed, it's hard to remember that you can't do it without a computer handy.

There's an actual dropbox app but I just use the functionality built in to goodreader. CloudReader is fantastic if you read scanned comics at all. It will do wifi syncing, but it's a lot faster to just sync through iTunes, as Ima showed above.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

I have question regarding accounts. My wife and each have our own apple account. i read online that most people create a single family account for appstore and itune purchases. They then use that account for buying but use their own apple account for user info on their mobile device.

Today, a coworker told me that you can actually share purchases between accounts. I was unaware of this. Which method do people recommend? If I have kids, I figure I want to have control over what they purchase. I also do like the idea of having a single account for my family. Thoughts?