California GameStops must put warnings on used games with DLC

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California GameStops must put warnings on used games with DLC

Ultra Great White Shark!! richardginn's Avatar

California GameStops must put warnings on used games with DLC

www.myeducational plan.com-come see my plan to fix the USA educational system. I hope this is sig legal. Major Site Design Update on July 18, 2006. On June 18, 2009 passed the 10,000 post mark. December 24, 2009: Major Theme change and more....

Good. All gamestops should do this.
    Currently playing: Destiny. NHL 15. (ONE) Stronghold Crusader 2. KF2 (PC).
    Gamer Tag: MajorPayne189 Steam ID: MajorPayne
    I7 930, Gigabyte x58a, 6 GB DDR3, 1 TB Black, Radeon 5850, Corsair 750W, Win 7 x64

California, the land of laws.

People are lazy. Does there really have to be a law for this? It takes less than 2 minutes of Google searching to see if a game needs an online pass. It's not like the developers [edit: correction, publishers] try to hide it.
    Last edited by LiquidCrash; 04-14-2012 at 08:33 AM.
    New Build (Oct. 2012)
    -[ ASUS P8Z77-V |:| Intel Core i5-3550 |:| 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LP |:| EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB |:| Samsung 830 256GB |:| Windows 7 ]-
    Currently Playing
    -[ Sleeping Dogs |:| Guild Wars 2 |:| Torchlight 2 ]-

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidCrash View Post
    People are lazy. Does there really have to be a law for this? It takes less than 2 minutes of Google searching to see if a game needs an online pass. It's not like the developers [edit: correction, publishers] try to hide it.
    FWIW, the limitations of buying a used game should be expressed at the point of sale. Gamestop frequently asks people checking out with a new game if they would like to buy the preowned version instead, as if it is a direct substitute, without telling them the difference.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

I think this is a good idea. It's easy to dismiss people as being lazy, but remember that the people who buy games aren't necessarily "gamers". Parents, Little Billy, etc. may buy a used game thinking they are getting a good deal, when in fact they'll end up paying more than the new version if they want all of the content. This, of course, thanks to Gamestop's awesome $5 off new game price for a used game. Should it be a law? Should court time have been tied up with this? Of course not. You'd like to think companies would be honest and up front with thier customers. As we know, this isn't the case. Good move, IMO, and one that Gamestop and ANY retailer who sells used games should be doing.

^^That and not to mention this online pass thing is fairly new. I wouldn't expect most gamers even knowing about it until they get screwed.
    I7 930, Gigabyte x58a, 6 GB DDR3, 1 TB Black, Radeon 5850, Corsair 750W, Win 7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespy View Post
    ^^That and not to mention this online pass thing is fairly new. I wouldn't expect most gamers even knowing about it until they get screwed.
    No offense or anything, but if you call yourself a "gamer" and you're paying $5 bucks less for a used copy over a new, then you deserve to get screwed.
    New Build (Oct. 2012)
    -[ ASUS P8Z77-V |:| Intel Core i5-3550 |:| 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LP |:| EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB |:| Samsung 830 256GB |:| Windows 7 ]-
    Currently Playing

What you gonna do?!? fastitocalon's Avatar
    Being a "gamer" is in the eye of the beholder. Also, I wouldn't say anyone deserves to be ripped off because they are trying to save some money. Personally I buy most of my games new, however I understand financial difficulties and don't begrudge someone hoping to save some cash.
    Last edited by fastitocalon; 04-17-2012 at 06:45 AM.
    A true friend stabs you in the front.
    -Oscar Wilde

Gamertag: Kelkeen
    PSN ID: Kelkeen
    Heatware: Fastitocalon
    Steam: Fastitocalon

http://raptr.com/badge/dfea8180810e4...7590e2b/fs.png

Quote Originally Posted by fastitocalon View Post
    Being a "gamer" is in the eye of the beholder. Also, I wouldn't say anyone deserves to be ripped off because they are trying to save some money. Personally I buy most of my games new, however I understand financial difficulties and don't begrudge someone hoping to save some cash.
    Sales are awesome.
    New Build (Oct. 2012)
    Currently Playing

No offense or anything, but if you call yourself a "gamer" and you're paying $5 bucks less for a used copy over a new, then you deserve to get screwed.
    What about renting games? There is no way if I rented a game I would pay $10 for a stupid online pass just to play it online. I don't rent games, I buy them usually at full price, just making a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespy View Post
    There is no way if I rented a game I would pay $10 for a stupid online pass just to play it online.
    Me neither. What I'm saying is, just do the research before you blindly buy something. How hard is that? Amazon usually has good prices on new games.

Speaking of rentals, I'm guessing this law doesn't apply to Gamefly, lol. I'm not a Gamestop shopper, but it's funny they're being singled out. Does Best Buy give info out as well? I hear they're starting to get into the used games thing.
    New Build (Oct. 2012)
    Currently Playing

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Me neither. What I'm saying is, just do the research before you blindly buy something. How hard is that? Amazon usually has good prices on new games.

Speaking of rentals, I'm guessing this law doesn't apply to Gamefly, lol. I'm not a Gamestop shopper, but it's funny they're being singled out. Does Best Buy give info out as well? I hear they're starting to get into the used games thing.
    IMO the problem with gamestop is not that they offer used games, but that they actively try to get people to buy used rather than a new copy. Best Buy doesn't ask you if you want a used copy instead of a new copy when you go to purchase a new game. Gamestop heckles you at checkout as if the used copy is a direct substitute.

I believe that is why they are being singled out. I wouldn't be surprised if other retail outlets put up disclaimers in their used games sections though.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

No, it doesn't apply to gamefly yet. In the next month or so I guarantee it will. But again, after 20 years of renting games (There are a LOT of people that rent games and have for a very long time), those same people are going to at one point unknowingly run into this issue. Pretty frustrating to rent something you can't play IMO. I understand it will happen once and then they will pay attention to never rent anything from EA again after they get screwed once then do their homework on games in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Timman_24 View Post
    IMO the problem with gamestop is not that they offer used games, but that they actively try to get people to buy used rather than a new copy. Best Buy doesn't ask you if you want a used copy instead of a new copy when you go to purchase a new game. Gamestop heckles you at checkout as if the used copy is a direct substitute.

I believe that is why they are being singled out. I wouldn't be surprised if other retail outlets put up disclaimers in their used games sections though.
    Ah. The only time I've shopped at Gamestop, the manager asked me about three or four times if I wanted to place a pre-order. I don't think I've been back since, lol. It didn't help that he seemed genuinely upset with me that I didn't commit to his store before the game even came out, lol (Red Dead Redemption).
    New Build (Oct. 2012)
    Currently Playing