Apple CEO Tim Cook Visits Headquarters of Video Game Firm Valve

Sharky Forums


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Apple CEO Tim Cook Visits Headquarters of Video Game Firm Valve

  1. #1
    LOLWUT ImaNihilist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    14,029

    Apple CEO Tim Cook Visits Headquarters of Video Game Firm Valve

    So, this is happening:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/04/13/...me-firm-valve/

    AppleInsider reports that Apple CEO Tim Cook paid a visit today to the the headquarters of Valve, the video game firm behind the Steam digital distribution platform and a number of popular PC and Mac games. While the purpose of Cook's visit is unknown, his presence at the company's headquarters in Bellevue, Washington suggests that it may have been of some importance potentially relating to collaboration between the two companies.

    Just over two years ago, Valve made a splash by leaking a set of teaser images to MacRumors and other Apple and gaming sites revealing that it would be bringing its Steam game distribution platform and a number of its own titles to the Mac platform. Steam for Mac launched in May 2010 with over 60 titles, and Valve now offers over a dozen of its own games for Mac through the store.

    Earlier this year, Valve released a Steam companion app for iOS, allowing users to browse the Steam marketplace and even purchase games for later download and play on a PC or Mac.

    It is unclear just what Apple and Valve might come up with in terms of an expanded collaboration if one is in the works, including whether it would extend in some form to iOS or remain limited to gaming on the Mac platform. Valve has been rumored to be working on its own hardware offerings related to Steam services, and the company has just posted job openings related to hardware engineering for such projects.
    Either a Source port on iOS or AppleTV is my guess.

  2. #2
    "Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    15,962
    Most likely a joint project for Portal 3 where GladOs will have the downloaded memories/ego of Steve Jobs. Valve will create the game and Apple will create the actual machine.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

  3. #3
    Post Nuclear Moderator Wurm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Grafenwöhr / Deutschland
    Posts
    10,664
    lol
    War... War never changes.

  4. #4
    LOLWUT ImaNihilist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    14,029
    Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    Most likely a joint project for Portal 3 where GladOs will have the downloaded memories/ego of Steve Jobs. Valve will create the game and Apple will create the actual machine.
    Next Keynote will actually be presented by Jobs himself…as GLaDOS. His constant use of the word "mere mortals" was no joke.

  5. #5
    nuclear launch detected kpxgq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    16,612
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    So, this is happening:


    Either a Source port on iOS or AppleTV is my guess.
    thats too easy, apple is way more ambitious that that. i am thinking full blown steam clone/takeover
    bitfenix prodigy, i5 4670k, asrock z87e-itx, pny gtx 760, crucial m500 msata, seasonic x650, dell st2220t

  6. #6
    Hammerhead Shark dyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The mistake on the lake.
    Posts
    2,965
    I want a video of Jobs saying "this is ****" in reference to Steam over and over. Forever.
    my rig

    cpu: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.5ghz
    mobo: AsRock Z68 Extreme4
    ram: 4x4gig GSkill Ripjaw X ddr3 1866
    cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    mouse: Logitech G500
    video: MSI GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB
    hdd(s): Crucial M4 SSD 240 gig (Windows 7)
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (data drive)
    dvd +/- r: Pioneer 111D D/L
    monitor: 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
    psu: PC P&C 610W
    chassis: NZXT Phantom

  7. #7
    LOLWUT ImaNihilist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    14,029
    Quote Originally Posted by kpxgq View Post
    thats too easy, apple is way more ambitious that that. i am thinking full blown steam clone/takeover
    It would be incredibly bold if Apple bought Valve. I can't even imagine. It would disrupt the entire industry. Gabe Newell would become a multi-billionaire.

  8. #8
    I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    12,647
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    It would be incredibly bold if Apple bought Valve. I can't even imagine. It would disrupt the entire industry. Gabe Newell would become a multi-billionaire.
    I would sell out.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

    Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

  9. #9
    [Insert witty title here] Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    8,039
    Jobs originally had been slated to visit several years back, but his head wouldn't fit through the doorways.
    Current System
    | Intel Core i7 950 | Gigabyte X58A-UD3R | OCZ 6Gb DDR3 1600 | PNY GeForce GTX 570 | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 7 Pro x64

    Currently Playing: The Old Republic, Fallout New Vegas, Xenoblade Chronicles
    Last Completed:Super Mario Land 3D..... 8.5/10

  10. #10
    "Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    15,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
    Jobs originally had been slated to visit several years back, but his head wouldn't fit through the doorways.
    He should have gone through the service entrance that Gabe uses.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

  11. #11
    Great White Shark
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Alpharetta, Denial, Only certain songs.
    Posts
    9,762
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    Next Keynote will actually be presented by Jobs himself…as GLaDOS. His constant use of the word "mere mortals" was no joke.
    Careful, this could be more true than you think.

    Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

    Intel i7-2600K | Asus P8Z77-V | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
    16GB PC3-12800 Kingston DDR3 | PNY GTX 570
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 8.1 Pro x64

  12. #12
    Reef Shark
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    261
    Probably just lobbying Valve to put more effort into Steam for OSX. The current showing is pretty bad. I doubt Apple cares about Steam on iOS, they have the iOS content delivery thing worked out fairly well already.

    ("just" is a relative term here - getting Steam's Mac catalogue near the PC catalogue would be an enormous deal. If gamers could just buy an iMac and play something other than Blizzard/Source/Casual games on there it would really shake the market as gaming is the only market that Windows has pretty much locked down right now)

    A way more far-fetched idea is that it may have something to do with the rumoured Apple TV. Valve have been trying to gain foothold in the living room after all.
    Last edited by Steven P Jobs; 04-16-2012 at 05:26 PM.

  13. #13
    Awesome. Kamakazie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    21,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven P Jobs View Post
    Probably just lobbying Valve to put more effort into Steam for OSX. The current showing is pretty bad. I doubt Apple cares about Steam on iOS, they have the iOS content delivery thing worked out fairly well already.

    ("just" is a relative term here - getting Steam's Mac catalogue near the PC catalogue would be an enormous deal. If gamers could just buy an iMac and play something other than Blizzard/Source/Casual games on there it would really shake the market as gaming is the only market that Windows has pretty much locked down right now)

    A way more far-fetched idea is that it may have something to do with the rumoured Apple TV. Valve have been trying to gain foothold in the living room after all.
    Getting Steam's catalog on Mac has nothing to do with Valve. Steam is already out on OSX and all of Valve's games are already available.
    Last edited by Kamakazie; 04-16-2012 at 05:58 PM.

  14. #14
    LOLWUT ImaNihilist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    14,029
    It's not about Steam on iOS, it's about Source.

    I've often wondered why Valve bothered spending millions porting Source, and even more maintaining cross-platform compatibility for just a few million potential unit sales. It always seemed like more work than it was worth. There just aren't enough gamers on OS X.

  15. #15
    Reef Shark Nik00117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    344
    Maybe Apple will buy out steam??? They have the money.
    Rigs
    Custom Built: Intel i7 930 @ 2.8 Ghz, 5870 GPU, 12 GIG Ram,3x1.5 TBs,1x500 GB, 250 GB SSD Logitech G51 surrond sound 27 inch monitor FUll Tower Cooler Master Case
    Laptop: M17X 2.83Ghz Dual Core, 4870 GPU, 4 GIG Ram, 320 GIG, 500 GIG HDD
    Get around Lappy: ASUS Aspire One: 1.6 GHz, IGP, 1 GIG ram, 160 GIG HDD

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •