Tribes: Ascend

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tribes: Ascend

Hybrid View

Tribes: Ascend

The new Free-to-Play Tribes from Hi-Rez Games came out this past week and I think it's pretty damn fun. It's not exactly the same Tribes we remember, but it's a much more faithful sequel than Tribes: Vengeance was.

Sign up under my Referral link to get me free xp! My name is Kamakazie in-game.
    https://account.hirezstudios.com/tri...referral=80954

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie View Post
    The new Free-to-Play Tribes from Hi-Rez Games came out this past week and I think it's pretty damn fun. It's not exactly the same Tribes we remember, but it's a much more faithful sequel than Tribes: Vengeance was.

Sign up under my Referral link to get me free xp! My name is Kamakazie in-game.
    https://account.hirezstudios.com/tri...referral=80954
    well i made an account and im downloading the game now but i didnt see a place to refer anyone. mabey i missed it? lol
    Steam- DerSchniffles
    Gigabyte z77-UD3H
    Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.5
    8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600
    Sony AVR with 5.1/Asus Xonar DG
    EVGA GTX760 @ 1241/7000
    60 gig OS and 240 gig Game SSD's
    55" Vizio Tv/32" Vizio
    Logitech G700s Mouse and K520 Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Meat View Post
    well i made an account and im downloading the game now but i didnt see a place to refer anyone. mabey i missed it? lol
    All you had to do was follow the link I posted; the ref id was built-in.

EDIT: I just checked my Referrals list and I can see that you're in there.
    Last edited by Kamakazie; 04-15-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie View Post
    All you had to do was follow the link I posted; the ref id was built-in.
    I think he meant that he didn't know how to make a link for him to earn xp for referrals.

Also, I never played Tribes, but does it play as much like Halo as that little video clip suggests?
    Current Computer (always a work in progress):
    Cooler Master HAF 922 Case / Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt / i5-2500K / GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 /PNY XLR8 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 / eVGA GTX 560 Ti DS Superclocked 1024 MB / ARCTIC COOLING ACALP11-GT-R2 / Frozen CPU Prolimatech PK-1 Nano Aluminum Thermal Compound / Crucial 128 GB m4 SSD / 1 TB Seagate / 1 TB WD Blue / Samsung SyncMaster 2494 LCD / Samsung SyncMaster 204b LCD

Website for Dad:
    www.KeepTheSpiritKilleen.com

Quote Originally Posted by SewerUrchin View Post
    I think he meant that he didn't know how to make a link for him to earn xp for referrals.

Also, I never played Tribes, but does it play as much like Halo as that little video clip suggests?
    Aha, my mistake. On the main menu under Social, you will see a "Refer a Friend" button which will contain your ref link.

The original Halo definitely took some inspiration from Tribes, but the games have a distinct feel to them.

With Tribes Ascend you have large maps, base defenses, numerous different classes each with different weapons, armor and other gear (all of which can be leveled up individually) jetpacks and and a unique style of movement called "skiing".

When you ski, you are effectively making yourself frictionless so that you can ride hills downwards to gain speed. Think of it as being similar to Tiny Wings but in 3D and with people trying to kill you.

Projectiles follow the momentum of your character, so if you're flying forward at 200mph and you shoot off to the side, you need to aim behind your target because the forward momentum is going to carry that disc/grenade/bolt forward at the same rate.

Maps are fairly large but once you get used to skiing you can cross them pretty quickly. If you want some extra firepower to go along with rapid traversal, there's also vehicles you can purchase from a vehicle station (right now there is a jet bike, tank and flying thing that's similar to a Banshee from Halo).

Every base has a generator located below ground which powers your base defenses as well as inventory stations (pads which let you swap classes, refill ammo and regen health) and radar (these detect enemies in the vicinity and mark them for all to see). If you're able to get in and blow up the generator, the enemy team is effectively made blind and defenseless. Generators can be repaired by anyone through use of a repair gun which is often located very close to the generator.

Give it a shot if you're at all a fan of team FPS. There's really nothing else like this right now.

Thanks! I just signed up with your referral, I loved the old tribes games, so much fun with the jetpacks. Looking forward to trying this

Corsair 550vx
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L
    C2D e6750 @ 2.66
    2 gig ram
    Asus Radeon 4850
    Audigy 2

Bumping this thread. The game is so damn good, I don't know how it can be free.

I might have to check this out, I played a bit of tribes in the old days.
    GA-MA790GPT-UD3H, AMD Phenom ll 955,
    Lian Li PC-60 PLUS, HD5850
    ----------------
    Resist the devil, and he will flee from you!

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

When thou seest an eagle, thou seest a portion of genius; lift up thy head!

2kr1b1r/Bpp3pp/1N2p1n1/4p1q1/4P3/2Q5/PPP2PPP/3R1RK1 b - - 6 15

I was in the Tribes beta for weeks, had it installed but never found the time to play.

Gonna have to fire it up this weekend. PC Gamer had a good article about it this month so I'm thinking I gotta give it a go.
    My armor is Contempt
    My shield is Disgust
    My sword is Hatred
    In the Emperor's Name
    LET NONE SURVIVE

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    I'm taggart6 seems like a fun game.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    So played a few hours...not sure what to think of it. I'm kinda lost as too what the hell I'm doing and the whole ski/jetpack thing is starting to bug me.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    So played a few hours...not sure what to think of it. I'm kinda lost as too what the hell I'm doing and the whole ski/jetpack thing is starting to bug me.
    There's a definite learning curve here, but hang in there! Learning how to ski is something that takes time, but once you start doing it, it becomes second nature and just feels awesome. At that point you'll be looking for optimal paths around the battlefield; using the dips and hills to keep you moving all the time.

In CTF if you're just starting out, I recommend picking the Soldier or Pathfinder class and focusing on defending your base. Get used to spotting incoming enemies (L-ALT), learn where the base structures are on each map and see where enemy flag cappers are coming in from. If it's a Pathfinder repeatedly coming in and grabbing the flag at 200kph, chances are they've found an awesome path you can try to repeat later.

Make yourself useful. If the enemy is constantly destroying your base defenses and your team's Technician needs help, grab a repair gun and start fixing ****. Know that if your generator is down, nothing else is going to be working.

Remember your call-outs! Hit the V button and you'll get a menu that branches out to all sorts of things you can shout out from "I'll attack the enemy flag" (VSAF) to "Repair our generator!" (VRG) and even "Good game!" (VGCG).

If CTF is too much for you right away, play some TDM. With TDM you'll become more familiar with dueling since that's all you're focused on and start getting a feel for the way projectiles are affected by your movement.

Just downloaded this, feels like the old days, sorry kama didn't see your link for exp.

Pretty fun.
    GA-MA790GPT-UD3H, AMD Phenom ll 955,
    Lian Li PC-60 PLUS, HD5850
    ----------------
    Resist the devil, and he will flee from you!

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

When thou seest an eagle, thou seest a portion of genius; lift up thy head!

2kr1b1r/Bpp3pp/1N2p1n1/4p1q1/4P3/2Q5/PPP2PPP/3R1RK1 b - - 6 15

Played it last night, game is fun, classic tribes! Getting xp is tough though, I guess that's where the whole pay to play thing is. I'm reminded how frustrating skiing is when you miss your spots/run out of jetpack, when you're either running with the flag or chasing down the carrier. I actually enjoy defense a lot, I want to get enough xp to get the laser rifle, or whatevert the equivalent is, haven't investigated which class has it or what I need to buy

Corsair 550vx
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L
    C2D e6750 @ 2.66
    2 gig ram
    Asus Radeon 4850
    Audigy 2

Quote Originally Posted by PriMaTe View Post
    Played it last night, game is fun, classic tribes! Getting xp is tough though, I guess that's where the whole pay to play thing is. I'm reminded how frustrating skiing is when you miss your spots/run out of jetpack, when you're either running with the flag or chasing down the carrier. I actually enjoy defense a lot, I want to get enough xp to get the laser rifle, or whatevert the equivalent is, haven't investigated which class has it or what I need to buy
    XP is slow going, but the game is fun so I don't mind. You can kickstart your goods a little bit by visiting the official Facebook page for a free code for 250 gold.

The Sentinel is the class you want if you're looking for the laser rifle. We must play together and destroy all opposition!