will mac OSX lion work on my xps m1330 and not too hard for a virgin mac OS user?

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will mac OSX lion work on my xps m1330 and not too hard for a virgin mac OS user?

will mac OSX lion work on my xps m1330 and not too hard for a virgin mac OS user?

got a spare xps
    core2duo 2.0ghz
    4gb ram
    120gb ssd
    nvidia 8400gs video

will it detect all the hardware ?
    C2D Q6600 @ 3.2 ghz, Enermax Liberty 620watt PSU, Gigabyte GA-965PDS3 mobo, 4x2gb OCZ DDR2 800mhz, 2x OCZ vertex 60gb Raid0 + 1TB + 320gb HD, SB Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer, 16x DVDRW Liteon, Logitech Cordless MX3100 desktop w MX1000 mouse + G9 laser mouse, Logitech cordless rumblepad 2, Sennheiser HDR100 wireless headset, ATI Remote Wonder II, Logitech QuickCamPro 9000, Eyefinity Triple 24" Widescrn LCD + ATI 5870, Win 7 ultimate

Reef Shark
    not legally

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rimmerchant View Post
    got a spare xps
    core2duo 2.0ghz
    4gb ram
    120gb ssd
    nvidia 8400gs video

will it detect all the hardware ?
    It is more involved than simply popping the disc in and installing. Your CPU and videocard are perfect, but you will have to load drivers for audio and LAN. YMMV with hackintoshes.
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

I can understand buying an Apple and running Windows 7 on it; but what would possess someone to run OSX on a native Windows machine?

Did you go trade your Ferrari in for a Moped while you were at it?
    RIG:
    XCLIO 2000 Black & Titanium Case
    KingWin Gold Certified 80+ 1000 Watt PS
    Asus P8Z77-V Premium Motherboard
    Intel Core I7 3770K @ 5.0 gHz
    Corsair CWCH70 Hydro Series H80 CPU Liquid Cooler
    CORSAIR Vengence 16GB
    PowerColor Radeon 7990 6GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 3 SSD
    1TB WD Black Edition SATA 3 + 3TB Seagate SATA 3
    Panasonic DVD
    Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 bit

Reef Shark
    Except for gaming and possibly some corporate stuff OSX is in every way superior to Windows and has been since at least 10.4. Just about every piece of cross platform software is nicer on OSX, including common stuff like MS Office and Skype, and then there's all the software that's exclusive to OSX - Sparrow is the best email client, Reeder is the best RSS reader, OmniFocus is the best GTD/ToDo app, and so on. It's funny that the main argument against OSX used to be that there "isn't any software" but now many of the best programs are OSX-exclusive. Of course it doesn't matter that much these days when for most people the operating system is just a way to launch iTunes and a web browser.

I constantly see people switching from Windows to OSX, but the only people I see switching the other way those who need a new laptop but don't want to spend $1200 on a baseline MacBook Pro.

After seeing Windows Phone 7 I thought maybe Microsoft had finally gotten a clue and figured out how to make good stuff, but using Windows 8 has made me pretty sure that they just got lucky that one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven P Jobs View Post
    Except for gaming and possibly some corporate stuff OSX is in every way superior to Windows and has been since at least 10.4.
    Yeah, I mean, just because it executes code slower and has an inferior user interface.....

Just about every piece of cross platform software is nicer on OSX, including common stuff like MS Office and Skype, and then there's all the software that's exclusive to OSX - Sparrow is the best email client, Reeder is the best RSS reader, OmniFocus is the best GTD/ToDo app, and so on. It's funny that the main argument against OSX used to be that there "isn't any software" but now many of the best programs are OSX-exclusive. Of course it doesn't matter that much these days when for most people the operating system is just a way to launch iTunes and a web browser.
    You know, about the time people tout Safari as a great web browser, I'm thinking "yeah, credibility is a bit lacking..."

If iTunes and YouTube is the extent of your computing, a Mac will do. If you use your computer to, well, compute, then there are a dozen better options.

I constantly see people switching from Windows to OSX, but the only people I see switching the other way those who need a new laptop but don't want to spend $1200 on a baseline MacBook Pro.
    THAT must be why Mac dominates the computer world...

After seeing Windows Phone 7 I thought maybe Microsoft had finally gotten a clue and figured out how to make good stuff, but using Windows 8 has made me pretty sure that they just got lucky that one time.
    Uh yeah..

Windows 8 uses the Windows Phone UI - which blows chunks on a computer. Have you ever actually used a Windows based PC?
    RIG:
    CORSAIR Vengence 16GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 3 SSD
    Panasonic DVD

Seems like you are still stuck in 2002.

OS X has largely taken over as the OS for both creative and technology development. Final Cut, Motion, Coda, TextMate, Hype, Espresso…many of the good web dev tools are OS X only.

Then you've got Homebrew and Xcode. All iOS development is done on a OS X. Most web development is done on OS X. Most video production is done on a Mac, despite the initial Final Cut Pro X problems (which have mostly been resolved).

It's really Windows that's seen as the "YouTube and Facebook" machines these days, outside of the corporate world. Most software on OS X is just better. Better designed, easier to use. If you want software that's hard to use an unintuitive, use Windows.

It's a bit scary to think about just how dominate it's become for engineers, since the OS is so locked to Apple. I suppose may of the dev tools aren't locked to OS X, but it's not like there is a clear *nix alternative.

You used to have a Mac pre-Intel days, IIRC. You switched right when OS X was starting to flip the desktop market. I think you have a condition like buyer's remorse, but for switching operating systems, and dont' want to admit it. It's cool man, no one cares. We won't tell. Just pretend like you never jumped ship. You can even get in with the hipster crowd and pretend like you enjoyed using a Mac before it was cool (and good).
    Last edited by ImaNihilist; 05-07-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Reef Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Geforce255 View Post
    You know, about the time people tout Safari as a great web browser, I'm thinking "yeah, credibility is a bit lacking..."
    I didn't even mention Safari in my post??? I mean it's a pretty decent browser and if you don't like it there's always Chrome, but using browsers as an argument for one OS or another in the year 2012 is pretty silly. Back when Firefox was the only "good" browser maybe you would have had a point but now it just doesn't matter anymore.

Windows still has the larger market share because of corporate customers and low-cost PCs, but among the market of people who get to buy their own computers and don't mind spending over $1000 for a tool they'll be using for 3-4 years Apple's market share is quickly approaching 100%. I'm not happy about that because having a single dominant platform is never good, but that's how it is right now and Microsoft have only themselves and their race-to-the-bottom OEMs to blame for it.

Windows 8 uses the Windows Phone UI - which blows chunks on a computer. Have you ever actually used a Windows based PC?
    Of course. Windows works pretty well as a launcher for Chrome but it's just so clumsy to do anything at all. 15 years of refusing to drop compatibility for anything ever will do that to you. Glad that you agree Metro is bad on a computer because Microsoft have made it pretty clear that it's going to become their main platform over the next few years.

I feel bad for the guy who designed Metro for Windows Phone. It actually works there, so now all the middle managers are trying to cram it into the products they're responsible for even though it doesn't work there at all.

Reef Shark
    THAT must be why Mac dominates the computer world...
    btw they actually do quarter after quarter if you include slates, and there's really no reason not to do so at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Steven P Jobs View Post
    btw they actually do quarter after quarter if you include slates, and there's really no reason not to do so at this point
    I'm actually doing this more and more. Big problem I've found is that most SSH clients for iOS don't have a buffer, so there is this weird lag. I'll have to try iSSH and see if that's any better.

I've been using Panic's Prompt, and love it, but the lack of a local buffer is really annoying.

Reef Shark
    I don't code anymore (thank god) beyond hacking together a basic script here and there, but iA Writer on iPad has upped my productivity so much. It's the greatest writing platform ever other than not supporting my cloud service (I use SugarSync over Dropbox and iCloud because their system of syncing folders is more useful to me and their iPad app is great). Many people still think that formatting-free text editors are toys, but I've probably written over 100k words in it by now. I've also been learning Chinese, and iOS is better than any desktop software or dedicated language computer, together with an actual language class of course. iOS doesn't do everything yet but the rate at which it's becoming more versatile is astonishing.

The lack of processing power still makes iOS unfit for some tasks, but RISC processors are easily outpacing Moore's law right now so that may change soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaNihilist View Post
    SNIP/

It's a bit scary to think about just how dominate it's become for engineers, since the OS is so locked to Apple. I suppose may of the dev tools aren't locked to OS X, but it's not like there is a clear *nix alternative.
    /SNIP
    Are you serious?

Lets see..

Pro-Engineer, runs on Mac? Uh, no.

Catia, runs on Mac? Uh, no.

Unigraphix, runs on Mac? Uh, no.

Solidworks, runs on Mac? Uh, no.

The only professional level CAD offered on the Mac is Autocad, and it barely falls into the "professional" level.

Look, I think Apple is a vile and evil company. That aside, I don't much care what people use, but the things that Mac fan bois come up with is astounding.

http://www.statowl.com/operating_sys...rket_share.php
    RIG:
    CORSAIR Vengence 16GB
    OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 3 SSD
    Panasonic DVD

Are you serious?
    Are you? Macs are the dominate platform in both software engineering and creative development. They are the standard in pretty much every CS department because they can do iOS development (which is explicitly being taught at places like Stanford and MIT), come with Python pre-installed, can use other libraries easily, and are still easy to use for other work.

Only the older companies like Amazon and eBay, which are heavily invested in Java, are still on Windows. Even that has changed considerably. I know a lot of people at public tech companies who only use Windows at work because they are stuck on some particular piece of older software for which there is no port.

If you have a degree in CS, but don't know how to use a Mac, you're going to have limited options in today's market. Sorry, it's true. You pretty much have to target an old company built on legacy technology.
    Last edited by ImaNihilist; 05-08-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Did you ever stop to think about what that actually means? That's operating system market share—a measure of how many machines out there have a certain OS, not how many people use that OS (or how often). What that USED to be say was that Windows is the dominate platform for software development, but that isn't even true anymore thanks to web software.

A block of offices buildings in New York may have 20,000 Windows machines in it. Half of those people may not even own a Windows machine at home, or may use it very sparingly.

I'm actually curious where you live where it appears that Windows is still dominating the market. Is there something going on in Middle America that I'm oblivious to? I've worked in tech and creative on both coasts the last few years and I only see PCs sparingly…usually being used by older people who spend all day in Outlook, like management at GE.
    Last edited by ImaNihilist; 05-08-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Reef Shark
    Are you serious?

Lets see..

Pro-Engineer, runs on Mac? Uh, no.

Catia, runs on Mac? Uh, no.

Unigraphix, runs on Mac? Uh, no.

Solidworks, runs on Mac? Uh, no.

The only professional level CAD offered on the Mac is Autocad, and it barely falls into the "professional" level.

Look, I think Apple is a vile and evil company. That aside, I don't much care what people use, but the things that Mac fan bois come up with is astounding.

http://www.statowl.com/operating_sys...rket_share.php
    so the only people actually "working" are CAD people and computer janitors? Even when you limit your focus to engineers it's still simply not true anymore.
    Last edited by Steven P Jobs; 05-08-2012 at 06:04 PM.