Win 8 RT bans 3rd party browsers

Sharky Forums

Thread: Win 8 RT bans 3rd party browsers

I don't roll on Shabbos! Timman_24's Avatar

Win 8 RT bans 3rd party browsers

Interesting story, but I think it is being blown out of proportion. This is not, I repeat not for the x86/x64 Win 8 version, this is for the RT version that will run on ARM. With that in mind, it makes sense. Resources are extremely limited on a tablet device, so restricting what API's a developer can use is crucial. iOS does this as does Android. I do not see why people are getting upset that MS is locking down their tablet version too. Mozilla and Google do not even make a browser for iOS, so why the hate toward MS?

http://www.dailytech.com/Google+Mozi...ticle24661.htm

Even the title of this piece is misleading since they do not say ARM version. From what I have played with of the consumer preview, the Metro Browser is actually pretty nice. I'll definitely be looking into a Win 8 tablet when my iPad 1 runs long in the tooth.

As a side note, will Rasp Pi run Win 8 Arm edition?
    PC: Corsair 550D
    4280k | Asus Rampage Gene | Mushkin 4x4GB | EVGA 780
    Intel 120GB SSD + 2TB Seagate | Seasonic 660 Plat
    2x Alphacool XT45 | Laing DDC | Bitspower

Currently playing: Civ 5
    Last Game Beaten: Walking Dead

That is very misleading indeed...

As for Arm-version running on Rasp Pi, that'd be awesome!! Hope it happens...
    Last edited by proxops-pete; 05-11-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Reef Shark
    Apple does allow competing browsers on iOS. There's Atomic Browser, Dolphin HD, Skyfire, even Opera. The catches are that they (1) have to either use WebKit or some form of server side rendering, and (2) there's no way to change the default browser. Seems like Apple and Windows are on similar footing here, the difference being of course that Microsoft has gotten in trouble for this in the past, unlike Apple.

The reason Microsoft can get away with this now is because their antitrust stuff specifically referred to Windows on x86, so Windows on ARM is not covered. Still it's very sketchy.