LAN and wifi

Sharky Forums

Thread: LAN and wifi

Question LAN and wifi

I have both LAN and wifi enabled on my PC. What determines which one will be used? ipconfig/ all shows the LAN first.
    Last edited by NC; 06-23-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    Dell 8300, XP Home, GeForce FX5200, HR MicroDAC audio and Swans M200 MKII
    IBM T60 Thinkpad

The route metric decides device priority. You can override it, but you're probably better off leaving it as is unless you've got a problem.
    Insert ancient Sharky sig here
    [
    Prince Vindir of the OC Crusaders
    Holding Boundaries and Breaking Barriers

]

Hammerhead Shark
    Are your wireless and wired networks on the same subnet? I don't think it matters, but it might.

I'd try the following either way:

Run a command prompt and do "route print". My guess is you'll see two default routes (Network Destination of 0.0.0.0, Netmask 0.0.0.0). The Interface column should list the local IPs that are used for each of these routes. If the metric for the IP on your LAN is a lower number than the one for the WLAN, your traffic is being sent over the LAN.

If it's going over the WLAN instead, you are probably best off just turning Wireless off. I think there are utilities that will do this automatically when connected by wire.

If you really want to leave both running, you can set metrics on the interface. Under the network adapters properties window, networking tab, open IPv4 properties, hit advanced, and down at the bottom, you can deselect interface metric and put in a number. Once again, you want your LAN metric to be lower than the WLAN. Do this for both, then do a "route print" again to see that it looks ok. Like I said before, though, I probably wouldn't pursue it in this way.
    Nick_B
    Currently running Ubuntu and Windows 7.

This was written for Win XP.

It is similar in Win7 you will find the setting in the TCP/IP Properties Advanced.

http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html

Last edited by cat5e; 06-25-2012 at 07:46 PM.

CAT5e
    Microsoft, MVP - Networking