any MAC OSX expert her? I'm a newbie need help with two issues.

Sharky Forums

Thread: any MAC OSX expert her? I'm a newbie need help with two issues.

any MAC OSX expert her? I'm a newbie need help with two issues.

ok I've been a windows/PC guy until last week when I manage to install it on my vmware workstation 8
    I got OSX Lion on it.

everything seems to work fine but I have two annoying issues.

1) Youtube videos and some online streaming videos doesn't seem to play. I don't know what I did but it stop working. Initially ti worked until I think I updated the adobe flash player. now I can't watch videos on youtube.
    when I goto a video the ad video will play fine then when it comes to the actual content video it seems to load slow and no video comes out.

2) it have VLC installed but it won't play any video. when I click on a video file VLC opens up and then closes by itself. can't be the video as Apple Qveer Time plays it fine.

thanks..

so far I'm loving OSX and Linux distro (Zorin OS and Kbuntu)
    C2D Q6600 @ 3.2 ghz, Enermax Liberty 620watt PSU, Gigabyte GA-965PDS3 mobo, 4x2gb OCZ DDR2 800mhz, 2x OCZ vertex 60gb Raid0 + 1TB + 320gb HD, SB Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer, 16x DVDRW Liteon, Logitech Cordless MX3100 desktop w MX1000 mouse + G9 laser mouse, Logitech cordless rumblepad 2, Sennheiser HDR100 wireless headset, ATI Remote Wonder II, Logitech QuickCamPro 9000, Eyefinity Triple 24" Widescrn LCD + ATI 5870, Win 7 ultimate

Reef Shark
    Neither of those are normal behaviour, it probably has something to do with VMWare. Get in touch with VMWare support.

The only thing I can think about with respect to #1 is that older versions of Flash where 32-bit only and did not support GPU acceleration. Newer versions are 64-bit and support H.264 GPU acceleration if it's available. It's possible that the VM graphics driver isn't working properly with the new Flash.

OS X really isn't designed to run in a VM.

Reef Shark
    If you really want to experience OSX, you have to do it on Apple hardware and with Apple support. Walking into an Apple store with a laptop that is having a problem and walking out with a new one 15 minutes later is where they really shine. That's a much bigger deal than the OS for me these days. I'd wait for the next Macbook Air refresh which is coming soonish. Despite being far from the most expensive product in Apple's portfolio I feel like it's their flagship consumer computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven P Jobs View Post
    If you really want to experience OSX, you have to do it on Apple hardware and with Apple support. Walking into an Apple store with a laptop that is having a problem and walking out with a new one 15 minutes later is where they really shine. That's a much bigger deal than the OS for me these days. I'd wait for the next Macbook Air refresh which is coming soonish. Despite being far from the most expensive product in Apple's portfolio I feel like it's their flagship consumer computer.
    I just walked out of the store to replace an iPod. I really want to move to the Air, I just want it with 8GB. I can't downgrade from 8GB to 4GB. But if the new Air supports 8GB I'm getting it on day one.

It's pretty amazing how thin and light the 11" is. There's really nothing like it. I don't know why that isn't the norm for laptops. Makes my 13" MBP look like a dinosaur.

OSX is still hit and miss on VMware with a Windows host OS and generally problematic. It's not supported by VMware unless running on an OSX host OS with Apple hardware.
    Last edited by vertices; 05-07-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vertices View Post
    OSX is still hit and miss on VMware with a Windows host OS and generally problematic. It's not supported by VMware unless running on an OSX host OS with Apple hardware.
    still don't know whats the problem with VLC

but I got flash video working on Safari (have to right click on video and select settings for flash and uncheck use 3D acceleration)

I can get videos fine on Safari. but for somereason video is all whited out on firefox so no go for that.

OSX runs ok on my system though some windows transistional effects are way slower than the actual thing I seen in a real mac.

but it is fast enough to get real work done and can work on it like a normal OS speed.
    C2D Q6600 @ 3.2 ghz, Enermax Liberty 620watt PSU, Gigabyte GA-965PDS3 mobo, 4x2gb OCZ DDR2 800mhz, 2x OCZ vertex 60gb Raid0 + 1TB + 320gb HD, SB Xi-Fi Extreme Gamer, 16x DVDRW Liteon, Logitech Cordless MX3100 desktop w MX1000 mouse + G9 laser mouse, Logitech cordless rumblepad 2, Sennheiser HDR100 wireless headset, ATI Remote Wonder II, Logitech QuickCamPro 9000, Eyefinity Triple 24" Widescrn LCD + ATI 5870, Win 7 ultimate

Reef Shark
    The VLC issue might also have to do with the program thinking it has access to hardware decoding capabilities when it really doesn't. On Windows you can switch to GDI video output but I don't think VLC for Mac has that option.

Maybe you can get it to work in an alternative player like Movist, but honestly I think the best solution is just to not watch videos in a VM. VLC for Mac and Windows are basically identical so you might as well watch the videos in your host OS.