Best way to consolidate many hard drives

Sharky Forums

Thread: Best way to consolidate many hard drives

Catfish

Best way to consolidate many hard drives

Over the past few years, I have used about 4 or 5 portable hard drives that I have been saving all my stuff. My problem is that I have had very bad habits of keeping stuff organized in each hard drive. I have a bunch of duplicate files in across multiple drives, with some hard drives containing old versions of files and some hard drives containing new versions of files.

I just want to put everything on one enormous hard drive. Is there some method by which I can easily consolidate things onto one hard drive?
    Last edited by BaCardi; 05-07-2012 at 10:57 PM.

since they are storage drives you should have no problem just consolidating by simple copy and paste to the new drive...

you are the one that is going to have to do the file keeping cleanup, I suggest doing that BEFORE you consolidate...eliminate the older dups first.........

I do know know of a simple way to do this...

Every year of so, I take time to go through all my krap, downloads, files, whatever, I spend probably a couple of days reviewing and rereviewing, never get rid of everything, kind of a pack rat...

Another option is to copy and paste it all to the new drive and when it asks you whether you want to copy and replace or copy and keep both copies, you have to make a choice..

The one thing to remember, if you keep the data 'as is' on the old drives, then you will still have the orginal data just in case you change you mind on some stuff when consolidated or something goes wrong, do not do a 'cut and paste', it can lead to further problems if the copying process stalls or hiccups...copy and paste.

I say do the house cleaning first, then consolidate...either way you are going to spend some quality time to reorganize...

Whatever...

laterzzzz.........
    Last edited by bldegle2; 05-08-2012 at 05:56 AM.
    I am gettin too old for all this st.ff!

Specs? it runs.................

Tbird quotes:

"I dont care that much for gaming"
    "I am done with 3dmark."

AsRock 970 Extreme4,Vishera 8320 @4.6, Vertex 4 256GB SataIII SSD, 2xVelociraptor 600GB 10,000 spinner in raid 0 storage....16g Gskill DDR3 2133 @2292, ATI 6850, back on huge air (quiet)....HP Laptop redone OS (ie, no HP krud), AMD Phenom II N620, 8gig DDR3 1333 ram, Sanddisk SataII 120GB SSD, Toshiba 500GB 7200 spinner...

Hammerhead Shark
    liked bldeagle2 said, keep the NEWER files. Is the newer hard drive going to be internal or external? I would recommend you make it an internal one because it's cheaper and you will also be able to transfer multiple new files at a time. Just install a 2TB HDD or something as such, then plug in the external HDD's. Transfer the ones most recent.

MOBO: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    CPU: i7-2700K @3.5 ghz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    CPU COOLING:Corsair Hydro H80i
    VIDEO: MSI TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 OC N760 in SLI
    HDD: Intel 320-160GB SSD
    HDD: Samsung 840 250GB SSD
    MEDIA: Plextor Dual DVD
    PSU: CORSAIR HX750W
    CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower
    10 x64 Home Premium
    Monitor: AOC ,32" curved 1440p