ASRock Socket 2011: Installing 2x 256 Drives in JBOD & Retaining TRIM Functionality

Sharky Forums

Thread: ASRock Socket 2011: Installing 2x 256 Drives in JBOD & Retaining TRIM Functionality

Question ASRock Socket 2011: Installing 2x 256 Drives in JBOD & Retaining TRIM Functionality

I just bought a hex core 3930K system and was not satisfied with the disk space left over after the original Windows 7 Pro installation on a single SSD.

So I bought a second identical 256 GB SSD (from The Egg) and thought I could just go ahead and set it up as a JBOD system. I went into the BIOS & enabled RAID for starters.

And now - I'm stumped.

I have the ASRock Extreme6 motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157289

For starters, is this a bad idea ? I want to retain TRIM functionality. I'm used to having a larger desktop, with 200+ GB of files on it, and about 50 GB for applications (3D CAD, Animation, Adobe Master Suite). Windows 7 eats up about 60 GB for whatever purpose, just the OS.

Once I saw that I would be limited with the first SSD drive, I figured I could run the 2 drives in drive-spanning configuration.

That's where I could use a step-by-step explanation of the installation procedure.

Hopefully I'm not the first to want to try this, and other members could benefit.

If I had to do it again, I would get the 512 GB SSD. But now that I have the 2x 256 drives, how do I set up Windows 7 ?

Thanks !
    Main Rig ~ E6700, Intel 965G uATX board, eVGA 7600GT, XQ-Pack, Seagate 320 GB, Seasonic 430 Watts
    Backup Rig ~ Opteron 175, MSI 6150 "FIC" board, eVGA 7600 GT, XQ-Pack, Raptor 74 GB, Seasonic 430
    http://www.LASIKSOS.com/ ~ Health Warning about LASIK Eye Surgery

Great White Shark
    Windows 7 supports Single drive TRIM (microsoft drivers), RAID0/1 TRIM (Intel drivers only). Not sure about JBOD as it hasn't been mentioned in the past.

For setting it up now, basically do what you were planning, just with 2 drive letters. 1 drive for OS/apps, other drive for storage.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64