XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

The new XCOM is good. Kama approves.

Vert agrees.

Excellent! And LOL. I came in here this morning to ask this very question.

Thanks for the thumbs-up Kama. "Click: Add to cart." According to the site I got the last one at Microcenter. If all went well I will be a happy camper later on this afternoon.
    Last edited by Kung_Fu_Fighter; 10-14-2012 at 12:25 PM.

"So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

100% Green Poster. ZERO Carbon Emissions.

Demetrius I of Macedon was offended when the Spartans sent his court a single envoy, and exclaimed angrily, "What! Have the Lacedaemonians sent no more than one ambassador?" The Spartan responded, "Aye, one ambassador to one king."

I third. This a very good remake of the old classic dear to my heart. While I do weirdly regret the micromanagement of the old days this one really does recreate the feel and emotions of the old one while adding some modern shticks to it (like making the soldiers specialized with skill trees rather than a collection of numerical values).
    Professional lurker

I'm very happy they decided to do something new with this while still keeping the same feel rather than just jazzing up the old game. This is the kind of love I wish EA had given to Syndicate instead of just making it a FPS.

I'll be really interested to see how this game does in terms of sales and how they will compare to that of the upcoming XCOM FPS.

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Any word on DLC...This game screams of it in a way that would make babies weep with joy.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

What you gonna do?!? fastitocalon's Avatar
    I am getting serious Frozen Synapse vibes from X-Com, not bad ones, just an observation.
    A true friend stabs you in the front.
    -Oscar Wilde

Gamertag: Kelkeen
    PSN ID: Kelkeen
    Heatware: Fastitocalon
    Steam: Fastitocalon

http://raptr.com/badge/dfea8180810e4...7590e2b/fs.png

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    Any word on DLC...This game screams of it in a way that would make babies weep with joy.
    I could see a full-fledged expansion pack happening, but I'm not sure how they could add incremental DLC unless they introduce scenarios or put the focus on multiplayer.

A larger expansion pack would work really well and be my preference.

But DLC packs of 2 to 4 new missions added to the end of the game to offer an additional challenge seem more likely. Could still work pretty well though a whole new longer campaign would be awesome!
    Last edited by taggart6; 10-15-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

I think Penny Arcade has been selling me on this game. I didn't realize that there were two X-Com games coming out and just knew about the FPS one, and I've basically been blowing that one off assuming it would be a Syndicate style thing where it's X-Com in name only. Looked into it after seeing so many good impressions and I literally didn't know this was something different than the FPS until the last 5 minutes.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

Quote Originally Posted by monroeski View Post
    I think Penny Arcade has been selling me on this game. I didn't realize that there were two X-Com games coming out and just knew about the FPS one, and I've basically been blowing that one off assuming it would be a Syndicate style thing where it's X-Com in name only. Looked into it after seeing so many good impressions and I literally didn't know this was something different than the FPS until the last 5 minutes.
    Steam has a demo of the game you can try out. I suggest checking it. The demo is a bit steamlined but it does a great job if you giving you a general overview and taste of the game.

One word of warning on that demo - It shows you two tutorial missions (one guided, one partially-guided) and doesn't let you play around in the strategic view at all. You might perceive this as an indication that the game is super-linear and not at all challenging. You would be wrong to make this assumption.

Just wanted to comment on this game as it is actually good enough to cut into my DOTA 2 time. So much fun.

A few things about the game that are annoying however would be controlling the game with a mouse and keyboard, the wonky camera, and walls and buildings disappearing when moving the camera around. Sometimes I had to restart the game to get the walls to show up again. I spent the first two hours playing with my mouse and kb, but it was such a pain that I ended up using my 360 controller and for the last 7 hours since switching over I have rarely had any of the above mentioned issues. To me, it seems that this game was designed for use with the 360 controller, and the mouse and kb was an afterthought. It was just about a game breaker for me.

I also wanted to note that for those who were unhappy with the demo performance, the release version runs much smoother in my experience. I'm playing on a 2010 Macbook Pro(i7 2.66, 4GB, SSD, GT330M w/512MB) on medium settings for reference.
    Currently Playing: DOTA 2, XCOM Enemy Unknown

I also felt the K&M controls were a bit uncomfortable. The 360 controls feel very nice and I really appreciate how the Overwatch button is constant (as opposed to K&M where sometimes it's 2, sometimes it's 3).

So is that 6 of us now that have the game? I PROPOSE A TOURNAMENT.
    Last edited by Kamakazie; 10-19-2012 at 02:57 PM.

What you gonna do?!? fastitocalon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    Just wanted to comment on this game as it is actually good enough to cut into my DOTA 2 time. So much fun.

A few things about the game that are annoying however would be controlling the game with a mouse and keyboard, the wonky camera, and walls and buildings disappearing when moving the camera around. Sometimes I had to restart the game to get the walls to show up again. I spent the first two hours playing with my mouse and kb, but it was such a pain that I ended up using my 360 controller and for the last 7 hours since switching over I have rarely had any of the above mentioned issues. To me, it seems that this game was designed for use with the 360 controller, and the mouse and kb was an afterthought. It was just about a game breaker for me.

I also wanted to note that for those who were unhappy with the demo performance, the release version runs much smoother in my experience. I'm playing on a 2010 Macbook Pro(i7 2.66, 4GB, SSD, GT330M w/512MB) on medium settings for reference.
    I'm about 10 hours or so in and the performance has went from great to good 75% of the time. It started chugging a little bit then got worse and is still getting worse mission by mission.
    A true friend stabs you in the front.
    -Oscar Wilde

Gamertag: Kelkeen
    PSN ID: Kelkeen
    Heatware: Fastitocalon
    Steam: Fastitocalon

http://raptr.com/badge/dfea8180810e4...7590e2b/fs.png