Upgrading vista to windows 7

Sharky Forums

Thread: Upgrading vista to windows 7

Tiger Shark

Upgrading vista to windows 7

I'm upgrading to Windows 7 and was wondering if there was anything special I need to do other than a normal backup? How will the e-mails work? Vista requires 2 user groups (well at least that was how mine was setup) for using e-mail. If the other user wants to check their e-mails, they had to switch users in Vista for viewing e-mails.

What extensions should I save specifically to make sure everyting transitions ok w/out losing information? My backup doesn't seem that large but I have over 100G of info on my HD - part of which includes all the programs.

Does Microsoft make this an easy upgrade so you don't need to reload everything up? I have a tb external drive so i was wondering if I should just copy the contents of thd hdd to this drive but that will take forever.

As long as you go from 32 bit to 32 bit....or 64 bit to 64 bit you should be good...

Going from 32 bit to 64 bit will require a nuke and pave.

You should always backup your important files anyway..but doing it before an upgrade would be recommended. No need to backup the Program Files folder since it won't do you much good anyway.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Tiger Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    As long as you go from 32 bit to 32 bit....or 64 bit to 64 bit you should be good...

Going from 32 bit to 64 bit will require a nuke and pave.

You should always backup your important files anyway..but doing it before an upgrade would be recommended. No need to backup the Program Files folder since it won't do you much good anyway.
    What about user e-mail? I understand win 7 uses a different e-mail than Vista. Also, there are 2 user groups in vista for each e-mail - how will this be affected?

If you want to have more than one person using a machine and keep their email account separate then you would want to continue using multi Windows user profiles.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Goldfish
    Yep,32 to 32 upgrade should work in most cases.