The Land of Bait and Switch

Sharky Forums

Thread: The Land of Bait and Switch

The Land of Bait and Switch

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...r-good-reviews

This is pretty interesting, but I don't think I've seen you guys post it yet. Looks like some of our modern reviews need a "while supplies" last warning.
    Insert ancient Sharky sig here
    [
    Prince Vindir of the OC Crusaders
    Holding Boundaries and Breaking Barriers

]

Great White Shark
    Interestingly those are two brands I don't buy.

Lately I've standardized on Samsung and Intel for SSD's.

I've been generally burned on the Sandforce drives. They are good enough, but they delay on the refresh to the new controller (SF37xx) has caused me to look elsewhere for new drives. Not to mention SF drives are very behind on the standards support for hardware based encryption. (OPAL 2.0, IEEE 1667, eDrive, etc.) The idea of an always 6encrypting drive that you just switch the keys on to make it "encrypted" is highly appealing, as it means zero loss of performance for the added security.

*Edit: I find it surprising that manufacturers are still doing this. After the 20nm switch-a-roo that OCZ pulled and got so much flak for.
    Last edited by James; 06-15-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

They are on my blacklist now...

Hammerhead Shark
    There are a few brands I've learned over the years are the ones to go with. I use Intel for my CPU, Nvidia for my GPU, Gskill for my RAM, Corsair for my PSU and CPU cooling, MSI for my graphics cards (architecture) and Western Digital for my disk drives (my sig has 2 Seagate because their prices were better). For my motherboard I usually am a fan of MSI but a recent incident made me sway from their Mobo. I find that Intel also has great SSD's (but a bit too pricy). I was (and still am somewhat) doubtful about Samsung's SSD's but so far so good.

I've never used Kingston for ANYTHING. They seemed so middle of the road. The only thing I've used PNY for were their flash drives. But I've found Sandisk to have the best flash drives so that's who I have been going with for many years. I wonder if they are going to get hit with sanctions for this practice.
    Last edited by kujoe2002; 06-18-2014 at 08:51 PM.

MOBO: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    CPU: i7-2700K @3.5 ghz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    CPU COOLING:Corsair Hydro H80i
    VIDEO: MSI TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 OC N760 in SLI
    HDD: Intel 320-160GB SSD
    HDD: Samsung 840 250GB SSD
    MEDIA: Plextor Dual DVD
    PSU: CORSAIR HX750W
    CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower
    10 x64 Home Premium
    Monitor: AOC ,32" curved 1440p

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by kujoe2002 View Post
    I've never used Kingston for ANYTHING. They seemed so middle of the road.
    Believe it or not, Kingston is my go to brand for server memory. Their server memory is usually priced slightly better than Crucial at a given capacity (16GB ECC/Reg dimm's these days), and have been rock solid. I think I've installed maybe 1000-2000 DIMMs in the last 5 years, and as of yet, have not yet had one go bad. *knock on wood**

Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Believe it or not, Kingston is my go to brand for server memory. Their server memory is usually priced slightly better than Crucial at a given capacity (16GB ECC/Reg dimm's these days), and have been rock solid. I think I've installed maybe 1000-2000 DIMMs in the last 5 years, and as of yet, have not yet had one go bad. *knock on wood**
    *meanwhile in Chennai, his developers keep trying to figure out why occasionally 2+2 == 5 on their dev boxes*

I've wound up with Kingston a lot for the same reason though really.
    Insert ancient Sharky sig here
    [
    Prince Vindir of the OC Crusaders
    Holding Boundaries and Breaking Barriers

]

Great White Shark
    So, I read up a bit more on this.

PNY "bait and switch" is actually false. They put a better controller with the same flash in the system. So someone being all "ZOMG they gave me a better controller, how could they?!?" rings false with me.

As for Kingston, they swapped out synchronous NAND for async NAND. There is no excuse for that.

http://www.thessdreview.com/daily-ne...ing-run-flash/
    Quote Originally Posted by The SSD Review
    as for the PNY Optima, the mid-class SMI controller was switched for the upper-class LSI SandForce controller. If anyone in the industry tries to explain that a 4 channel controller (SMI) is more capable than an 8 channel controller (LSI SandForce), simply walk away and laugh.

*Edit: An additional interesting read: TechReport has been toture testing consumer SSD's for almost a year now. Some have written well over a petabyte of random information and continue to perform admirably.
    Last edited by James; 06-20-2014 at 07:35 AM.

MSI for my Mainboards and Graphic cards / Coolermaster for my cases / Corsair for my PSU - SSD - Watercooling / Western Digital for my HDD (Black only baby!) / Kingston for my RAM (which after reading this might go to Corsair)

And so far I've never been burned.
    War... War never changes.