swapping out chipsets from a mobo

Sharky Forums

Thread: swapping out chipsets from a mobo

Hammerhead Shark

swapping out chipsets from a mobo

So,

Someone is telling me they got an ASUS intel chipset mobo, then had someone customize it so that it took on an AMD 8 core. Is that even possible? I thought the CPU chipset was formed INTO the motherboard and not like an interchangeable part? Something doesn't jive.

This is the mobo they say they got is this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...217&CatId=7379

But he said they took out the intel chipset and replaced it to use this CPU:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1&Sku=A79-8350

MOBO: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    CPU: i7-2700K @3.5 ghz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    CPU COOLING:Corsair Hydro H80i
    VIDEO: MSI TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 OC N760 in SLI
    HDD: Intel 320-160GB SSD
    HDD: Samsung 840 250GB SSD
    MEDIA: Plextor Dual DVD
    PSU: CORSAIR HX750W
    CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower
    10 x64 Home Premium
    Monitor: AOC ,32" curved 1440p

Great White Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by kujoe2002 View Post
    So,

Someone is telling me they got an ASUS intel chipset mobo, then had someone customize it so that it took on an AMD 8 core. Is that even possible? I thought the CPU chipset was formed INTO the motherboard and not like an interchangeable part? Something doesn't jive.

This is the mobo they say they got is this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...217&CatId=7379

But he said they took out the intel chipset and replaced it to use this CPU:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1&Sku=A79-8350

No. This is not happening, for many reasons, but not the least of which is the fact that the two companies don't use compatible technologies between CPU and chipset, and don't use similar pin counts.

You would have to replace the CPU socket and the chipset, which requires reconnecting roughly 2011 traces to a new cpu socket, which only has 942 pins. Not to mention that intel uses a PCH "unified" 1-chip solution, while AMD is still using Northbridge/Southbridge 2-chip solutions for chipsets.

Admittedly, these days a chipset is nothing more than a way for peripherals to talk to the CPU since the memory controller and the primary PCIe controller were moved on-die. So running from the chipset is SATA, NIC, USB, and sound. But the chipset is just as unique as the CPU, and is designed to work in concert with a specific CPU series. You can't plug an AMD CPU into an Intel Chipset or vice versa. Hell, you can't even plug an old AMD CPU into a new AMD chipset. Won't work.

I'm calling bunk on this. The idea of not just changing a pin-compatible chipset (say like when Intel did minor revisions to a given chipset, allowing motherboard manufacturers to re-use existing designs), but replacing it with a competitors chipset(s) and CPU socket without destroying the board is not possible.

Quick stats on the two CPU's and chipsets involved here.
    Code:
    CPU
    ------------------------------
    BRAND		Intel	AMD
    SOCKET  	LGA2011	AM3+
    SocKET TYPE	LGA	PGA
    PIN COUNT	2011	942
    PIN LOCATION	SOCKET	CPU

CHIPSET:
    ------------------------------
    BRAND		Intel	AMD
    CHIPSET		X79	990FX 
    TYPE		PCH	NORTH/SOUTH BRIDGE DESIGN
    SocKET TYPE	mBGA	FCBGA
    PIN COUNT	676	692
    SOUTHBRIDGE	-	SB950
    SB SOCKET	-	*
    SB PIN CT.	- 	*

* I was unable to easily track down the pin count and packaging style of the SB950 portion of AMD's chipset.
    Last edited by James; 07-29-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

This is the equivalent to someone telling you they bought an orange and then stuffed a pineapple into it.
    There is the theory of the moebius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop.

Not going to happen.
    ----------
    Intel QX6700 Tuniq Tower (3,30Ghz) |Intel D975XBX2 |4x 1GB OCZ Platinum XTC DDR2-6400
    Gigabyte 8800Ultra OC'd to (650/2200/1605)| X-fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro | Dell 2005 FPW
    Lian-Li v1000 plus| Silverstone ST56ZF 560W |WD Raptor 150GB |2x Seagate 7200.10 320GB
    ----------