AMD x86 basically dead after this year?

Sharky Forums

Thread: AMD x86 basically dead after this year?

AMD x86 basically dead after this year?

Ok, been a long time since anyone has posted here so I thought I'd ask a very basic question. I've read the road map for AMD and it looks like they are going to a 20mm die and trying to use the same socket footprint for both their cpu and arm processors. It also looks like they are concentrating on the FM socket for APU's. What I can't really decipher is what this means. Is the FX line of CPU's the last of their competitive chips? I know that come Sep 1 they will start a fire sale, but I'm not seeing what will be replacing them. Can anyone shed the light on this for me? Will I be buying intel from here on out?

Great White Shark
    AMD has shifted focus to the "good enough" market of computing. Computers that are fast enough for all mainstream processes, and have an onboard GPU capable enough for light gaming. They really have become the P4 back in the day. Their high end products push clock speed and have insane TDP ratings in an effort to be competitive. They have given up on increasing IPC, which is how they beat Intel back in the day.

Now we are looking at ARM, GPU, and some lightweight x86-64 solutions from them. I haven't seen anything truly competitive in the CPU space from them in a few years.
    Last edited by James; 08-27-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Thanks for the info James. I was looking at upgrading my Phenom II X6 1045t, but it looks like maybe an i3 is in my future as far as a capable and relatively inexpensive option.