Best speedtest site

Sharky Forums

Thread: Best speedtest site

Hammerhead Shark

Best speedtest site

So I've been having some issues recently with my ISP. I used to get 56Mbps but now it's spotty at best. What sites would you use to test the bandwidth? The 3 that I usually go to are in this order:

bandwidthplace.com

http://www.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/

speedtest.net

They give very different figures. I'm wondering which is the best one to use.

MOBO: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    CPU: i7-2700K @3.5 ghz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    CPU COOLING:Corsair Hydro H80i
    VIDEO: MSI TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 OC N760 in SLI
    HDD: Intel 320-160GB SSD
    HDD: Samsung 840 250GB SSD
    MEDIA: Plextor Dual DVD
    PSU: CORSAIR HX750W
    CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower
    10 x64 Home Premium
    Monitor: AOC ,32" curved 1440p

I mainly use www.speedtest.net

I would also recommend using the test that your ISP probably has. If their test shows poor results you'll get their attention better.

Have you unplugged your modem/router and left it unplugged for five to ten minutes?
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Hammerhead Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    I mainly use www.speedtest.net

I would also recommend using the test that your ISP probably has. If their test shows poor results you'll get their attention better.

Have you unplugged your modem/router and left it unplugged for five to ten minutes?
    1. I generally don't like to use the company's own speedtest program as I expect them to lie to me.

2. I have turned the modem off for 1 minute (not 5 or 10) and it came back up for hours running as it should. And now it's finicky again. Would shutting off the modem for longer make a difference?

3. Why would the 3 sites (including speedtest.net) show different results. Usually for data analysis, I like to use at least 3 different sources. Also it seems that when my internet is fast, bandwidthplace says I'm running where I should be. Speedtest.net seems to give me the same results regardless of whether I experience lag or not. That's why I mainly used bandwidthplace.com. If it said my internet was fast, the internet ran fast and when they said it was slow, the internet did run slow. Somewhere I read that perhaps the server that I'm running from is bottlenecking?
    Last edited by kujoe2002; 10-13-2014 at 12:07 PM.

MOBO: GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    CPU: i7-2700K @3.5 ghz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 32GB (4 x 8GB)
    CPU COOLING:Corsair Hydro H80i
    VIDEO: MSI TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 OC N760 in SLI
    HDD: Intel 320-160GB SSD
    HDD: Samsung 840 250GB SSD
    MEDIA: Plextor Dual DVD
    PSU: CORSAIR HX750W
    CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Full Tower
    10 x64 Home Premium
    Monitor: AOC ,32" curved 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    +1

If the reading are low on your ISP test page you have a leg to stand on, otherwise they will tell you ""stories"" about the other Tests.

In addition it is a Good idea to Run a trace to make sure that there is No apparent Bottle neck that reduces the traffic.

You can use this freeware - http://www.d3tr.de/

Put it (top center) on list mode so you can see were the real slow down occur (if any).

Example - http://www.ezlan.net/network/trace.jpg

Last edited by cat5e; 10-14-2014 at 05:32 PM.

CAT5e
    Microsoft, MVP - Networking