Tabletop RPG games

Sharky Forums

Thread: Tabletop RPG games

Goldfish

Tabletop RPG games

I am getting ready to start trying to teach my son how to play some tabletop rpg games. I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in playing any in the future. I am looking at a few ways to play online now. Looking at Tabletop Simulator and Roll20 right now. I will check out any suggestions also.

I would love to try playing a game using Tabletop Simulator.

I'll throw Fantasy Grounds into the hat even though I don't know much of anything about it outside of the fact that it has been getting official support from a lot of real games, D&D of course being the biggest one.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

Quote Originally Posted by monroeski View Post
    I'll throw Fantasy Grounds into the hat even though I don't know much of anything about it outside of the fact that it has been getting official support from a lot of real games, D&D of course being the biggest one.
    Fantasy Grounds would be great if it didn't cost so damn much for each player. I had used a version of it several years ago and it didn't do anything MapTool didn't already do for free. Now that it has some official 5e content it is a very attractive online tabletop solution, but now that's a $140 entry point for the DM (and still $40 for each player).
    Last edited by Kamakazie; 04-28-2015 at 01:41 PM.

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    Roll20 is where its at. I highly recommend it. What systems are you looking to teach him?
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Goldfish
    He is young so I am mostly going to teach him how to play but not much of the mechanics right now. I will probably start with Gurps since you can be anything anywhere. I also have the white wolf games, D&D, Shadowrun, Gammaworld, are the main ones I have.

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    I think roll20 has templates for most of those systems for character sheets and what not.

Are you going to do an pen and paper games with your son before hand? If not, I highly recommend you do before moving things online so your son can get a more hands on feel. I would suggest doing something just the two of you like a simple dungeon that he has to clear out. Then have him invite a friend over and run through a dungeon where they have to work together to complete it.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Goldfish
    Yes I am. He will play a couple months with me to make sure he understands it and can play correctly before I would let him on an online game. I plan to try and get some online games going even if he does not play. I just need to learn the interface and do a basic outline of an adventure. I want it to be run smooth once I have other people involved. I have to brush up on the rules myself. I have not played in over 20 years, but I loved it when I was young.