Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 - LAN play?

Sharky Forums

Thread: Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 - LAN play?

Reef Shark

Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 - LAN play?

So i'm getting some nephews and nieces into LAN gaming and they have a hangup with MineCraft.
    Fine, but there are better games out there.

I've got a decent free FPS lined up, so that's ok.
    I'm looking at getting a racing game, like an older Need for Speed (but not too old); and also I'm looking at getting a good ol RTS.

Age of Empires 3 looks good. I believe it lets you play on 3 computers using the same CD & serial right?
    But AoE takes, well ages to get anywhere so i'm thinking the youngsters won't have the patience.

0 A.D. is worth looking at, it's free too; but it's probably a little grown up for kids.

StarCraft 2 looks good, however Blizzard sucks and they totally nuked LAN games, so that's out. Not to mention the price.

Which brings me to Command and Conquer Red Alert 3.
    It looks good, it's old but not too old, it's got good mutliplayer and LAN play right?
    But wait, what am i reading about a "LAN fix" hack and extracting the multiplayer maps so you can play while not connected to EA servers?

Anybody know if you can play LAN games easily or do you need to hack the game?

Sorry to say I haven't done a LAN in several years so I'm not sure if RA3 works cleanly in a LAN scenario.

SC2 allows LAN connections, but you still need to be connected to Battle.net to get it going. SC2 is actually free to play if you just want to play one race, and if one player has HotS, then any friends with him will have access to the same. Check out http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/buy-now/spawning for more info on that.

Alternatively, Dawn of War (not DoW 2 unfortunately) has LAN play, is old but not too old, and is awesome.

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    I believe the killing floor supports LAN play. Its a great team based FPS.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Reef Shark
    Killing Floor, yeah looks good but it's a Horror game so probably not good for the younger audiences.

Other than free to play, i'm looking at buying some second hand discs but am finding that in reality, you can't do that anymore as the serial is used.
    I suppose it's a good way to snuff out a second hand market.

But on the other hand it doesn't force me to go out and buy a fully priced new game x6 either.

Goldfish
    Supreme commander is good. If you catch it during the summer sale it will be probably be pretty cheap. I do not know if it does lan off hand.
    Last edited by lomar; 05-10-2015 at 04:50 PM.