Witcher3 - In medias res

Sharky Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Witcher3 - In medias res

Great White Shark

Witcher3 - In medias res

I have a confession to make, I have not yet played through the Witcher and Witcher 2. So I'm starting the Witcher 3 with very little back knowledge of the game world.

So far I'm enjoying it. Anyone have any recommendations about whether or not I should stop and play through the previous ones? Or am I OK finishing this one out?

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

I'm 14 hours into Witcher 3 now and I never played more than an hour of the previous games. They're pretty damn janky.

I found and used this to catch me up: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1037371

Both witcher 1 and witcher 2 are excellent RPG games and I do recommend playing both. (lol janky my butt... )

As far as Witcher 3 is concerned my opinions on it are as follows.

Buggy as hell, crashes a lot, makes you jump through hoops to fix them (keyboard smashing make you mad) but really worth it once you do get it running.

Stunning graphics, solid story and likeable characters.

Bloody as hell and very gruesome.

I'm playing on the second to hardest setting and it is very hard if you don't use potions and your signs (but ummm yeah, it wouldn't be witcher without them).

Just got to the beginning area's final quest but I'm instead clearing all the ? off the map first. Leveling is slow, combat is hard and you will die often in the beginning, but it has a quick save system so thats not too bad.

Definitely a great game once you get it running.
    Last edited by Wurm; 05-23-2015 at 05:16 PM.
    War... War never changes.

How's the game run on PC, my system specs is listed in the minimum specs, except I do have 8 gigs of RAM. Either this or xbox one.

Great White Shark
    I'm using the specs in my signature. Overall, the game runs fine for me on a 1920x1200 monitor.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

As long as you don't have 2 monitors and SLI, you'll be fine.

General consensus from what I heard building up to the release of the third game is that while the first two games are both good you don't really need to play the first one as the second one is pretty much better in every way. I would guess that you're fine to just keep playing part 3, but if you want to go back to the other games and time is a factor you could probably just start with 2.

Personally, when I get into the series I'm going to at least give the first one a shot before moving on to part 2.
    Comp - i7 950, Radeon HD 5870, 6gb DDR3 1600
    Currently Playing - Gravity Rush 2, DOOM (2017), Nex Machina
    Currently Reading - Dracula by Bram Stoker

I love how everything ties together in The Witcher 3. It feels like every little thing I do is remembered and works into everything else in some way that seems organic. Really makes the world feel authentic.

Quote Originally Posted by monroeski View Post
    General consensus from what I heard building up to the release of the third game is that while the first two games are both good you don't really need to play the first one as the second one is pretty much better in every way. I would guess that you're fine to just keep playing part 3, but if you want to go back to the other games and time is a factor you could probably just start with 2.

Personally, when I get into the series I'm going to at least give the first one a shot before moving on to part 2.
    The first one is every bit as good from the story as the second or the third. If you like playing games for the story I would not skip it. One improves upon the other through out the series, but all are well worth playing.

"Watches You Sleep" Shark taggart6's Avatar
    If you can, avoid playing the game until the Enhanced Edition/ Directors Cut update comes out. It'll add a bunch of content, improvements, and it'll be a free update.
    Last edited by taggart6; 05-26-2015 at 04:35 PM.
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by taggart6 View Post
    If you can, avoid playing the game until the Enhanced Edition/ Directors Cut update comes out. It'll add a bunch of content, improvements, and it'll be a free update.
    There's already a ton of content in there so I'm happy to be playing it now.

I hate replaying games over so I prefer to wait till the whole thing drops at once!
    If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Since there is paid DLC and/or a season pass this time around, I doubt very much we are going to be getting a free "Enhanced Edition" with Witcher 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Wurm View Post
    Since there is paid DLC and/or a season pass this time around, I doubt very much we are going to be getting a free "Enhanced Edition" with Witcher 3.
    Indeed. We are getting free DLCs regularly as well, two of which just dropped today!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...unch-This-Week

I'm still nowhere near Skellige, but hooray!

Quote Originally Posted by Wurm View Post
    I'm cool with waiting. I think an EE patch will still drop inaddition to the planned DLC. Its a great way to bump sales months after teh game drops and I think a lot of people are probably waiting for it. I still have 1 and 2 to finish so I can wait.