What would cause an unstable system in Windows all of a sudden.

Sharky Forums

Thread: What would cause an unstable system in Windows all of a sudden.

What would cause an unstable system in Windows all of a sudden.

I built a new system a couple years ago and it has been rock solid until about three weeks ago. I leave my system on 24/7 because it is my media server for the home (via Plex). I starting noticing a few weeks ago that I would come to the computer and it would be at the initial Windows login screen (Windows 10 Pro). Yesterday it started blue screening several times and today it was blue screening like very 10 minutes. HWMonitor shows my temps are good. I got so frustrated that I attempted to install Windows 10 Pro fresh but it kept crashing. I attempted doing it with Windows 7 and Windows 8 but it kept doing it. Out of frustration I decided to try Ubuntu 14.04.03 and it is rock solid!

Why? What would cause the Windows kernals to crash but with Linux it is having no issues. Here are my specs:

Asrock 990FX Extreme 3
    AMD FX-6300
    8GB G.Skill
    250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
    2TB HDD
    Radeon R7 265
    Cooler Master HAF XB EVO

I love Ubuntu so I guess it isn't a deal breaker but I am just wondering why?
    Intel i7-3770 4C/8T |16GB G. Skill Ripjaws (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 | Zotac Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 2 x PNY 480GB SSDs | Pioneer BDR-209DBK | HP Pavilion 25XI 25" IPS 7ms Display

The BSOD have stop codes that can be googled to help find a solution to their cause.

One little bad driver could be the cause.
    Failing ram is another culprit... But you'd think that would spill over unto Ubuntu.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Turned out one stick of RAM went bad, it's been rock solid with just the one in.
    Intel i7-3770 4C/8T |16GB G. Skill Ripjaws (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 | Zotac Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 2 x PNY 480GB SSDs | Pioneer BDR-209DBK | HP Pavilion 25XI 25" IPS 7ms Display

Sushi
    Flight case is trusted name in managed service provider for IT solution services. Our Organisation provides Network Operation Solutions and managed service solution which definitely reduces your firms operating expenses.
    http://fltcase.com