Looking at getting an SSD

Sharky Forums

Thread: Looking at getting an SSD

Sushi

Post Looking at getting an SSD

Hey guys, I was looking into an SSD and I found this 500 GB one on sale. Is it a good brand? Is it worth the price?

I know how to install the thing myself, and I have an adapter bracket. I simply don't know about hardware brands, etc. Thanks in advance for your help :-)

Great White Shark
    Welcome to the forums!

Samsung is an excellent brand for SSD's. The 850 Evo line is their current "budget" line. (News this week is they will launch a cheaper line in the asian market called the 750 Evo.) The 850 Evo is a great SSD to get started with. It will offer consistent performance and a huge upgrade over a spinning disk. That being said, to keep the performance higher, you can overprovision it by about 20% or so. (I.e. instead of making a partition for the full 465GB of formatted space, make it for say.... 380GB.) Basically what this does is once the drive reaches it's steady state performance, instead of ~9000 IOPS, you'll be getting closer to 20000 IOPS.

No matter how you format it, etc. It's an excellent drive. I use one of these in my laptop and in my workstation at work. I have the older 1TB 840 Evo as a secondary drive on my main system.

If all of that is too confusing just know that more than the brand of drive, the brand of the controller inside the drive is usually what starts a drive down the path of good drive or bad drive. Samsung and Intel controllers are more or less top of the heap. Micron controllers are middle of the road. Sandforce controllers have struggled in recent years with performance and consistency. JMicron controllers are consistent, they are just consistently slow.

Since Samsung drives use a Samsung controller, they tend to perform very well, and stay consistent throughout their lifetime.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Have two new laptops, I put a Samsung mSATA SSD Drive in one and a Crucial mSATA SSD Drive in the other.
    It's made one h3ll of a difference in the boot time on both laptops, not that they were that slow.
    I did jump from 5400 RPM Hard Drives to the SSD Drive.
    I've kept the 500gb 5400 RPM Drives in the Laptops for Storage.
    These SSD Drive have made Good Laptops into a Great Laptops!
    CoolerMaster Cosoms Full Tower
    Enermax Revolution 1050w PSU (Modular Cabling)
    AMD PhenomII X4 940@3.0ghz Black Edition
    Asus M4A79 Deluxe
    4x2GB G.Skill DDR2 1066 PC2 8500
    2x1TB Seagate Hard Drives
    2xLite-On DVD-RW Smarterase/Lightscribe
    XFX nVidia GeForce 285 GTX 1GB
    26" Westinghouse Monitor
    Logitech Webcam 9000 Pro
    Logitech MX 5500 Combo
    Logitech z-640 5.1 Surround Sound
    Windows 10 Professional 64bit
    Brother MFC-9440cn AIO