MP3 players

Sharky Forums

Thread: MP3 players

Sushi

MP3 players

Do they have a small, portable MP3 player where I provide my own memory stick?

You know, you buy the unit and provide your own 64gig USB memory stick and rock out.

I know they have the technology to build one, but I've never seen anything like this.

If anybody knows if this exists and knows where I can find one, please lemme know.

Never heard of one that uses an external USB thumbdrive, even though thumbdrive can be quite small these days. I think the issue is, there are cheap DAP's out now that has sufficient memory onboard, or support external momory in the form of SD/mSD cards. Also, with OTG, you can basically stick a thumbdrive (for extra storage over built-in memory and/or mSD support on phones) to your smart phone and use it as a DAP. As such, I don't see the need of a DAP that uses memory stick/thumbdrive where SD/mSD would be smaller and more convenient to use.

I'm curious though, why would you want such a device anyway? I have a Fiio X3 II and HiFiMan HM901s, both are SD/mSD card compatible, I can't imagine using memory stick/thumbdrive with them. There's some ambiguity here, memory stick can also refer to Sony memory stick (proprietary, hence is more commonly used in Sony devices) but since you'd mentioned USB memory stick, I take it to mean USB thumbdrives.

Edit - Sorry for the tardy reply, I've been away from SF for a few years now, I've only just 're-joined' SF a coupla days back.
    Last edited by mikeysg; 08-04-2016 at 01:47 AM.
    Save Ana
    http://www.jpages.net/HelpAna.htm

Main Rig - All AMD build: R9 3900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 8GB 3600CL17 Patriot ViperRGB | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 (OS) | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung QVO SATA SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 6TB WD Black | Corsair HX 1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Samsung LC49HG90DMEXX 32:9 | iFi Micro iDSD BL | LG SL8YG Soundbar | 64bit Win10 Pro

Great White Shark
    The funny part is they used to have something like this, it went away with most of the other standalone mp3 players.

Creative made it. You didn't provide your own USB drive, but the player was a USB drive. You disconnected it to plug it in and load up music. Then plugged it back into the battery for actual use.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Sushi
    I was wanting something like what I originally asked about mainly for convenience's sake and so I could buy my own thumb drive if the first one was corrupted, malfunctioned, or if I just wanted to increase memory.

In my searching it looks like ain't nobody got nuthin like this at all. Probably because only about 8 people on the planet would buy it since everyone is using their smart phone as a music player these days.