Sound Card - Page 2

Sharky Forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sound Card

If you are still in need of good sound card, look into Audioquest's Dragonfly series... those are some fine USB sound cards!

Quote Originally Posted by proxops-pete View Post
    If you are still in need of good sound card, look into Audioquest's Dragonfly series... those are some fine USB sound cards!
    Hmmm. I haven't heard of those... I'll have to check them out.
    I’m very discrete. I have no code of brand loyalty. I will build anything, anywhere; Gaming PC, workstation, HTPC, doesn’t matter. I just love building.

It's audiophile's sound card on a USB stick! https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Dr.../dp/B00882U782

I have an old one (v1.2) that I have no use for... need to sell that off ... may list it here just for the kicks! lol

This is an old thread (didn't realize that I'd posted here back in 2019), but since there's been no update, I feel it falls upon me to add something to this. I've not tried the Audioquest Dragonfly, and while I still have a Creative SB ZX soundcard lying around somewhere, I'm not using it, actually haven't used a soundcard for a few years now, not since I'd started on this audio sojourn. I have heard some good things about it though a few had said it wasn't powerful enough to drive their headphones. In a way, the Dragonfly's similar to the iBasso DC02 which I use for my Android phones with USB-C. Like the Dragonfly, the DC02 audio dongle acts as both a DAC and amp (basically a DAC combo) and it has pretty good audio format support, including very high res DSD audio, I have a large collection of DSD tracks so have audio devices that support DSD is a must for me. I must say that with the DC02, the audio I get seemed improve, better clarity, tighter bass with good separation and imaging.

Below is a pic of the DC02 (with a Tri Audio TRI i3) with my old Samsung Fold phone, I have since traded in the phone to recoup cost of purchasing the Fold 2. Oh yeah, the audio is output as a digital stream, the iBasso DC02 would decode and amplify the sound.

I suppose if anyone's computer has a USB-C port would be able to use this audio dongle.

For my 2nd rig (above), I have a Philips Fidelio HTL 9100 soundbar, it's not the loudest of soundbars, but I feel it has a more refined sound, a more balanced sound, it's especially good for music, decent enough for games and movies. For audio appreciation via headphones, I have my trusty old Oppo HA1 DAC combo, the thing's build like a tank! It supports a good number of audio formats, including DSD as well, so I'd used my headphones in Balanced mode for good sounding audio to while away the time. The wireless headphone on the right is the Creative SXFI Theater, I use it for when I watch movies, there's something about the sound, it's more room-like which I find to be better than just using a pair of headphones, regardless of how good it is for music. The black box thingy behind the headphone is my 4x 6TB Probox where I keep my music and movie collections.

Above is the desk area of my main rig (older pic with the PC VEGA64 Red Devil, but otherwise the same), I'd had the pic brightened so that my black iFi Micro iDSD Black Label DAC combo can just be seen on the top left of my keyboard (if you're wonderin', the keyboard's a Topre 104 UB with yellow PBT keycaps). Hanging on the sides are some cans I have on rotation at that time. Most of my cans come with either detachable cables, or I'd had a couple of them modded to accept detachable cables. The old audio guys, like soupnazi, would be proud of me now....

I think soundcards still have a place for gamers, though I've noticed that as of late, Creative has moved on to external devices that, like the DAC combos I have, act as a gaming DAC combo (obviously with gaming as its primary focus).
    Last edited by mikeysg; 05-22-2021 at 12:35 PM.
    Save Ana
    http://www.jpages.net/HelpAna.htm

Main Rig - All AMD build: R9 3900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 8GB 3600CL17 Patriot ViperRGB | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 (OS) | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung QVO SATA SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 6TB WD Black | Corsair HX 1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Samsung LC49HG90DMEXX 32:9 | iFi Micro iDSD BL | LG SL8YG Soundbar | 64bit Win10 Pro