WD Raptor Boot Drive Malfunction

Sharky Forums

Thread: WD Raptor Boot Drive Malfunction

WD Raptor Boot Drive Malfunction

Greetings. This is a five-year-old homebrew rig based on the AMD six core Phenom II processor. I run Windows 7 64 bit.
    In a nutshell the WD Raptor boot drive functions fine otherwise (is accessible via Explorer) but will not boot. The rig was
    in sleep mode and I brought it out to use it. Memory is hazy but I *may* have hit the Big Red Switch out of impatience
    or otherwise brought it out of Sleep mode. It did not resume and will not boot. I get an endless cursor now. I
    successfully cloned the Raptor to a backup WD Green drive and it behaves the same way. So I need to know what's
    wrong and how to fix it. Thank you for your time.

Resolution

A Google search revealed this thread at Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win...mbr,10036.html

I made a recovery DVD from an old image of this broken Raptor (three years old) So I always had a boot disk but a nightmare of three-year-old documents, apps, etc.

I booted and tried the command prompt options specified at Tom's and none worked. Eventually I selected "Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting Windows..."

I did that and reviewed the text log. Indeed it listed a broken boot manager and fixed that. It boots and works fine now.