Windows 10 for new build

Sharky Forums

Thread: Windows 10 for new build

Goldfish

Question Windows 10 for new build

I am in the market for Win10 Home edition 64-bit for a desktop I am building for my son. In searching the internet, most sites are selling full/OEM versions that appear to be boxed with a DVD for $90+ these days. But, there are a few sites that are selling "instant download" versions of Win 10 Home 32 and 64-bit versions for less than $50. It appears that the download can be saved to a USB or burned to a DVD for long-term keeping. Are these websites legitimate and selling legitimate Win 10 products and keys? I chatted with one of the cust. service people on a site, and, of course, they said it could be downloaded and saved, just like I mentioned. This almost seems too good to be true. Any thoughts please? Thanks.

It just depends on the site... Newegg.com has a download version but is a lot more than $50.00 .
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Goldfish
    Two sites that came up were "game" websites. I didn't post before because I didn't want to give them free advertising, but since someone asked:

This site is for Win10 Pro, which is the one I chatted with: https://www.gamecheap.com/products/w...gital-download

This site is or Win 10 Home, more suitable to my needs: https://ipwngamingsoft.com/products/...-bit-or-64-bit

Thanks in advance to any/all replies!

Great White Shark
    Both of those sites, just from a domain name perspective, are selling pirated copies. That is my opinion at least.

I would stick with sites known for being actual trusted and authorized distributors of the software.

For example, Here is a list of Windows 10 products sold directly from Amazon.

And here is a similar list from Newegg,

In both cases, those searches limit the results to goods being sold by the named company (Amazon/Newegg), not a 3rd party no-name company that sells through their marketplace.

Don't buy software from an untrusted source. Honestly it's almost worse than pirating, simply because with Pirating you know you are going to end up with malware, etc. But at least it's free. WIth shady sites (Like "I Pwn Gaming Soft"), you are paying for the privilege of rolling the dice with pirated software.

Here's a good rule of thumb: If a site doesn't have any contact information of any kind located on their site, assume it is a shady website.

Crusader for the 64-bit Era.
    New Rule: 2GB per core, minimum.

Intel i7-9700K | Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB SSD
    64GB DDR4-2666 Samsung | EVGA RTX 2070 Black edition
    Fractal Arc Midi |Seasonic X650 PSU | Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra | Windows 10 Pro x64

Goldfish
    Many thanks, James.

I figured as much since there were only two sites that came up doing this on an OPEN internet search. I'll go ahead and purchase from one of the others.
    Last edited by ellert; 12-14-2016 at 06:18 PM.