New PC and Windows 10

Sharky Forums

Thread: New PC and Windows 10

Threaded View

Expensive Sushi

New PC and Windows 10

So I'm in the process of building a new PC and want to use the hard drive from my current system. My current system came with Windows 8 pre-installed and I later did the free upgrade to Windows 10 when it was released. Because of this I don't have a physical copy of Windows 10, just a partition with the recovery image on it. One problem with the recovery image is that I would assume it would install Windows 8 back on the drive as opposed to 10. My question is if there is a way to make an image of Windows 10 since I currently have it installed or if I can simply just put the hard drive in the new system the way that it is and replace all the drivers from my old system with the new. I'm not sure if either option is possible if anyone could help me out. Just trying to save $130 on buying another copy of an OS that I already own since I'm not gonna be using the old PC anymore.

EDIT: I don't know if this makes a difference, but I thought about doing the new PC in stages and putting the parts into the old system until the whole system is new (with the exception of the HDD). First graphics card, 2nd PSU, 3rd Mobo and CPU, and 4th ram.
    Last edited by DDorrell86; 06-02-2017 at 01:29 AM.